IGNORED

Worst end to a round that you have ever experienced?

trackster
Note: This thread is 4324 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Having a 4 foot putt for 79 on the 18th hole, and lipping out.

Twice, two rounds in a row

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

The first real opportunity I had to break 90, I came to the 18th (a par 5) and blew two straight tee shots OB and ended up carding like a 10 which gave me a 92, after ESC it dropped to a 89 but obviously not the same... I was so pissed off but I knew what I had coming into the hole and let the pressure of breaking a certain number get to me.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I find this thread interesting because I've been playing 20 years and threw away my share of rounds over the years.  I've passed through many milestones, and failed many times along the way trying to achieve each one..........but I don't remember the fails!

I do remember trying to break 100 for the first time and having many close call/fails.  I only remember 1 fail specifically.....I was playing a P.O.S. golf course and the last hole is an easy par3.  I needed a 4 or 5 to shoot my first 99 and failed.  I don't remember the details....LOL  I either needed bogey or double for success, but all I remember is I didn't do it.  When I broke 100 for the very first time.....I CRUSHED IT....by shooting a 93.  I did this at the end of my first full year of playing.   The following year.......I never shot higher than 100.

Off the top of my head, I don't remember when/where was the first time I broke 90 or 80, but I do remember my first even par, under par, and first round in the 60's.

PS...I can look it up though!!  I've kept a detailed account of every round I have shot since 1-1-1993.  I'm sure that once I look it up, I'd remember details from each milestone.....LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

I find this thread interesting because I've been playing 20 years and threw away my share of rounds over the years.  I've passed through many milestones, and failed many times along the way trying to achieve each one..........but I don't remember the fails!

I do remember trying to break 100 for the first time and having many close call/fails.  I only remember 1 fail specifically.....I was playing a P.O.S. golf course and the last hole is an easy par3.  I needed a 4 or 5 to shoot my first 99 and failed.  I don't remember the details....LOL  I either needed bogey or double for success, but all I remember is I didn't do it.  When I broke 100 for the very first time.....I CRUSHED IT....by shooting a 93.  I did this at the end of my first full year of playing.   The following year.......I never shot higher than 100.

Off the top of my head, I don't remember when/where was the first time I broke 90 or 80, but I do remember my first even par, under par, and first round in the 60's.

PS...I can look it up though!!  I've kept a detailed account of every round I have shot since 1-1-1993.  I'm sure that once I look it up, I'd remember details from each milestone.....LOL

The round after I broke 100 for the first time I shot an 88 somehow.  I just had a really really good week of golf right after a lesson, unfortunately I have not broke 90 again since (This was about a year ago).  Was struggling a lot this season but I think I am finally turning it around, hit it great on Saturday and scored a 95 because of horrible putting but it was encouraging!

I don't really remember my fails at breaking 100 either, I know I got really close several times and blew it on the last hole but I cant really remember them specifically.

I have been trying to break 80 for a loooooooong time. So stepping up to #17, I knew I could bogey one of the last 2 holes and shoot a 79. 17 is a short par 3 (148 yds) with water all around hole. Perfect shot would have been center of green, with about 15 ft putt. What did I do? I pulled it left, watched the ball bounce off the mound next to green and go into the water. Walked away with a 5! I was pissed! But still managed to make a par on 18 for an 80. Good round, but would have been alot better!

Phillip

Originally Posted by trackster

I was 3 over after 5 holes and seemed to be primed to have a chance to shoot in the 30's on the front nine.

IMO...being primed to shoot 39 (in the very least) is being +3 through 8 holes and only needing a par on the last.  Needing to "par-in" from 5 is a stretch.......

My 2 cents...................................

Any thoughts from others?  I'm not trying to bust your chops.  Heck... I play to a 1-2HC and would feel anything BUT primed to break 40 if already 3 over after the 5th hole.  I'd be scratching my head wondering how I'd stop the bleeding to avoid being +6 over through 9 holes. LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Like the OP I have yet to shoot a 79.  The fist time I played with a new set of clubs I was even after 11 holes on a par 68.  I usually try not to think about score but when you are as bad as I am in is hard not to know you are at even par.  I then proceeded to shoot 15 over on the last 7 holes for a nice 83.

The worst part was I went out as a single and got paired with two attractive sisters that were about my age that were obviously interested in golf, they both shot about 100 and knew and played by the rules.  One was married but the other was single.  If I had not had those 7 terrible holes I would have a hot girlfriend that golfs and be a scratch player because I would have had so much confidence in my new clubs.

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

It wasn't quite the end, but last weekend I shot a 42 on the front nine, which isn't bad at all. Started the back nine all right, with a bogey and a par IIRC, then found myself unable to put a ball in play off the tee for the next 5 holes, shooting a couple double bogeys, an 8, and two 9s. Then wrapped up with a bogey and a nice up-and-down involving a blind punch around a tree to the edge of the green, chipping on and nailing a 10 footer.

Nothing like opening with a 42 and ending up with a 99... in some ways it was nice (and off-topic) to wrap up on a good note, but believe me, after watching those N-bogeys pile up, that was not very comforting at the time.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

IMO...being primed to shoot 39 (in the very least) is being +3 through 8 holes and only needing a par on the last.  Needing to "par-in" from 5 is a stretch.......

My 2 cents...................................

Any thoughts from others?  I'm not trying to bust your chops.  Heck... I play to a 1-2HC and would feel anything BUT primed to break 40 if already 3 over after the 5th hole.  I'd be scratching my head wondering how I'd stop the bleeding to avoid being +6 over through 9 holes. LOL

Well considering I played those same 4 holes the day before par par par bogey, I felt like it could happen.  It was par 35 so I had a bogey to give.  I had 3 pars a double and a bogey through 5.  The last 4 holes are relatively easy.  I have already shot 38 from the reds, but have yet to break 40 from the tips, despite shooting 40 about 8 times.

Originally Posted by trackster

Well considering I played those same 4 holes the day before par par par bogey, I felt like it could happen.  It was par 35 so I had a bogey to give.  I had 3 pars a double and a bogey through 5.  The last 4 holes are relatively easy.  I have already shot 38 from the reds, but have yet to break 40 from the tips, despite shooting 40 about 8 times.

Sorry like someone else said not trying to bust your chops but are you sure your handicap is accurate?  An 11.4 that has never shot 4 over on 9 at a course the play frequently?  That does not sound right.  Like I said above I was even after 11 and I am 17.4 but I do have some really bad holes.

R9 with 757 Speeder
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

Originally Posted by mad max

Sorry like someone else said not trying to bust your chops but are you sure your handicap is accurate?  An 11.4 that has never shot 4 over on 9 at a course the play frequently?  That does not sound right.  Like I said above I was even after 11 and I am 17.4 but I do have some really bad holes.

I take what I said back.  I have been stuck around 18 for about 10 years and even my good rounds have some ugly numbers and I am inconsistent.  I once shot 83 at a course and then less than a week later I shot 113 at the same course.  My apologies.

R9 with 757 Speeder
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

Oh yea I just remembered a round I thought I was going to do great and then completely ruined it.  Started out Bogey, par, par, birdie, par (best start I ever have had by far) and then finished with a 99! That was frustrating.

On father's day, my wife and I played the Lake Buena Vista golf course at Disney World in Orlando. I hadn't played in a couple weeks, have only just recently broken 100 at a local course, rented the golf clubs, and probably can create a few more excuses. I had to forfeit the last 2 holes and took a snowman on each, because I ran out of golf balls. I lost 14 golf balls that day and yes, I counted every penalty stroke. I shot 129 from the white tees. Worst game EVAR!

taylormade.gif 2009 Burner 10.5 driver w/ stock shaft

taylormade.gif R7 irons store shelf stock w/ Rocketballz 55 SW

taylormade.gif Rescue 23 degree

taylormade.gif #3 FW 2009 Burner

ping.gif Putter

Two years ago, I played a really hilly golf course in 105 degree heat using a push cart. The water stations were few and far between and I started getting severe leg cramps on the 16th--calves going into spasm. I was in some real pain and putted out of turn on the 18th green so I could rush to the club house for hydration; still feel terrible about how I finished the round.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Mine happened the first and only time I played Chambers Bay here in tacoma, which is still to this day the hardest course I've ever played. And all I wanted to do was break 100. I ended up making quad on 18 after a perfect drive and a decent approach .

Was playing a tough links style course about a month ago. My goal for the day was to break 90. Standing on the 17th tee, I needed to finish bogey, bogey for an 88. 17 is a par 5, and I card 10. 18 is a par 3 and I triple the hole to go +8 on last 2 holes, and card a 94:~(

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Note: This thread is 4324 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!