IGNORED

How many of you play without a Driver?

mikelegacy
Note: This thread is 4042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I broke 100 in 6 mths and the biggest club i use is a 5 iron , no woods, no driver , no hybrid

In the :tmade: san clemente 14 way bag: :ping: G30 Stiff shaft driver 9deg upped to 10 :tmade: RocketBallz 4-sw Steel Stiff Shaft :callaway: 50 degree wedge :wilson_staff: 58 deg Wedge :cleve: Center shaft putter :titleist: Balls & :footjoy: BOA shoes

Im gonna give this a go tomorrow. I hit my 4W off the tee way better and straighter than my driver at the moment. Almost as far if I really think about it. Should've tried this looooong ago. Funny my only birdie of the season so far was on a short par 4 where I hit 4W off the tee.

4W----> 9i------->Putter =

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by mikelegacy

This is probably more of a question from a Bogey golfer or above, but how many of you dropped the Driver in your bag until you are more consistent with your ball flight?

I have ready numerous things that suggest that always going to the driver isn't good for a higher handicap. It's definitely my worst club in the bag (even though as of late, I've been hitting it fairly straight). I'm 6'6", and my swing speed and power are decent, so I can get a hold of the ball decently (like 260-270 maybe), but it's still the most inconsistent club in my bag. I may drop it for a while, and just go with my 15 degree Adams hybrid off the tee for a while.

Bad idea or common?

Back when I was in the 15-20 handicap range, I used to leave driver in the bag a lot.  But that was because I was very comfortable with my 3 wood, and I was playing from the forward tees (not the ladies tees).

The thing is, though, when you leave driver in the bag, what is left to hit?  If you're a bogey golfer or worse, you're probably not good with long irons or even a 3 wood.  Right?

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Let me speak from experience (of being a bogey+ golfer:).

It is much easier for me to drive with a 3w off the tee's instead of the driver. Im getting some good distance (between 230-260yards) AND, more importantly, its going straightish...well, much straighter than my driver!

Even on the 500 yard plus par fives Im still able to get close, if not on the green in 3 or 4 shots (3w - hybrid - 56 degree - maybe another 56 degree wedge - possibly a 60 degree wedge - and then maybe a putter :).

Whereas if I unleash the dogs of hell with the driver all I find myself doing is swearing at another lost ball! :0

Regards

Mailman

• Upvote 1

Mailman

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I started carrying two 3 woods at the end of last season, both Titleist, a 910FD and 910F.   The FD is great off the tee but tougher to hit off the deck.  I can outhit most of my playing partners with the FD and hit the fairways pretty consistently.  Even when I miss the fairway, it's usually not far off.  I get more distance with the FD which is why I carry it as my "driver".

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by bplewis24

If you're a bogey golfer or worse, you're probably not good with long irons or even a 3 wood.  Right?

that's a pretty bold statement for a 12 handicap...that is unless you don't hit your long irons and 3 woods well still either...

i'm about a 16 and i don't have any issues with long irons or my 3w.  it's usually around the green where i struggle.

though will sound off again and say that moving forward a tee and using 3w instead of driver is kind of a cheat to get better scores, not a solution.  i personally wouldn't feel prouder of myself by scoring lower via that method, just because a driver is a vital part of the game sans shortcuts.

So then I take it most guys are better with their 3w?  How high do you guys tee it up?  I recall posts from a few mid-to-high cappers saying they struggled more with their 3w than their driver.  I imagine because the 3w is teed up lower.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Back when I was in the 15-20 handicap range, I used to leave driver in the bag a lot.  But that was because I was very comfortable with my 3 wood, and I was playing from the forward tees (not the ladies tees).

The thing is, though, when you leave driver in the bag, what is left to hit?  If you're a bogey golfer or worse, you're probably not good with long irons or even a 3 wood.  Right?

i am a bogey golfer, and i have no problem with my 4-6 irons. i'll hit the 4 iron with 210+ in the air. i just added a 3 and a 5 to my bag. i haven't been out on a course yet, but i've been hitting them really good on the simulator.

but i also have a love hate relationship with my driver. i feel like i could shoot lower scores if i left it in the bag!! i did change my grip this off season so i will see how it works out. for as long as i have been golfing i have always held the club in more of my palms instead of in my fingers. now that i have changed the grip i have been hitting the driver straighter more consistently (on the simulator).

So then I take it most guys are better with their 3w?  How high do you guys tee it up?  I recall posts from a few mid-to-high cappers saying they struggled more with their 3w than their driver.  I imagine because the 3w is teed up lower.

I hit my 3w teed up lower much better than my driver.  I think it's more about the length of the shaft than it is how high the ball is teed.

Joe Paradiso

Hi everyone.I just joined and this is my first post. Next month will make 2 years ive been smoking this crack we call golf. Ive only been playing 2 yrs, but ive played at least 3 times a week pretty much since day 1. With all that being said, I recently played w/o driver for about a month, and it has helped my game. When I first started playing, driver was the only club I could hit, and I mean hit a mile.(im sure thats what got me hooked on this game).My home course has a lot of shortish par 4's, 330yds or so, but all the par 5's are tough, ''on in 2'' on them around there is a rumor.In the beginning I could hit driver way down there in front the greens, and then commence to butcher the hole up from there.  At the time I was worst iron player on the planet, ive since worked my butt off and am now a better iron player. Somewhere along the way Iost alot of distance with my driver and worst than that I developed the hooks with it and lety me tell ya fear the hook and you'll slice. So took it out the bag so I wouldnt be tempted to hit it and since ive shot lower scores alot more often. Haha, but as a true golf addict I do have a new driver on the way.

Originally Posted by liveeel

Hi everyone.I just joined and this is my first post. Next month will make 2 years ive been smoking this crack we call golf. Ive only been playing 2 yrs, but ive played at least 3 times a week pretty much since day 1. With all that being said, I recently played w/o driver for about a month, and it has helped my game. When I first started playing, driver was the only club I could hit, and I mean hit a mile.(im sure thats what got me hooked on this game).My home course has a lot of shortish par 4's, 330yds or so, but all the par 5's are tough, ''on in 2'' on them around there is a rumor.In the beginning I could hit driver way down there in front the greens, and then commence to butcher the hole up from there.  At the time I was worst iron player on the planet, ive since worked my butt off and am now a better iron player. Somewhere along the way Iost alot of distance with my driver and worst than that I developed the hooks with it and lety me tell ya fear the hook and you'll slice. So took it out the bag so I wouldnt be tempted to hit it and since ive shot lower scores alot more often. Haha, but as a true golf addict I do have a new driver on the way.

That story sounds eerily similar to my story the first couple of years I played. No problem at all with distance and fairly straight with a driver or a fairway wood, no problem working the ball either direction with woods, absolutely TERRIBLE with irons, but (for some reason) a lot of skill with shots close around the greens. A ton of birdies and even a lot of eagles, but plenty of triple and quadruple bogies to go along with them.

I never really lost my driver like you did but over time I did change the way I played and got a little better with irons (but still below average) and didn't think I had to go for everything. Settled more into more of a game that doesn't make many birdies and eagles are rare but mostly pars, not many bogies, but more consistent scores.

If I could somehow put all of the birdies and eagles I used to make together with the mostly pars I make now it would be a great thing! Ha ha ha! Ain't happening though.

Originally Posted by MS256

That story sounds eerily similar to my story the first couple of years I played. No problem at all with distance and fairly straight with a driver or a fairway wood, no problem working the ball either direction with woods, absolutely TERRIBLE with irons, but (for some reason) a lot of skill with shots close around the greens. A ton of birdies and even a lot of eagles, but plenty of triple and quadruple bogies to go along with them.

I never really lost my driver like you did but over time I did change the way I played and got a little better with irons (but still below average) and didn't think I had to go for everything. Settled more into more of a game that doesn't make many birdies and eagles are rare but mostly pars, not many bogies, but more consistent scores.

If I could somehow put all of the birdies and eagles I used to make together with the mostly pars I make now it would be a great thing! Ha ha ha! Ain't happening though.

I think the problem with driver that I created for myself, was that I never hit it on the range when I was working on my irons so hard. My thought was if it aint broke dont fix it. The swing I had that could pound a driver was not the swing that hits down and compresses a 7 iron, a hybrid, or even a 3 or 5 wood off the deck or teed low. I will however work on hitting driver again, and im sure it will lower my handicap when I get it figured out, but the time ive spent without it, has made me alot more rounded player.

Note: This thread is 4042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!