Jump to content
IGNORED

good scramble score?


msst8dawgs
 Share

Note: This thread is 3348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

Originally Posted by fireman1153

I really like this comment cause I just played in a scramble this weekend and the top 3 teams finished with 49, 50 and 51!!  Now for all wondering; yes, this is for a full 18 hole round.  I personally don't see how this is possible unless all four golfer are pros but that is just my two cents and felt like venting a little.  This course was also Red Rock which happens to be the #1 ranked course in South Dakota with many blind shots and elevations changes.  Not an easy course for the average golfer.

Looks like you were somewhere else when they were selling that string for $5.00 a football field length and muligans at $2.00 a dozen. Hmmm I'm assuming par 72 so a -23 final for the winner, minimum 5 eagles. I would have loved to have seen that card cause the average score was less than 3 per hole.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by onesome

Looks like you were somewhere else when they were selling that string for $5.00 a football field length and muligans at $2.00 a dozen. Hmmm I'm assuming par 72 so a -23 final for the winner, minimum 5 eagles. I would have loved to have seen that card cause the average score was less than 3 per hole.

I played with him in this outing and for $20 you received 4 mulligans (1 for each person), 4 red tees (to play from the ladies tee on one hole), and 2" of string.  Each team could buy only one of these.  In order to obtain this score the team had to birdie every par 3 and par 4, eagle one par 4, and eagle all 4 par 5's.  Their was a chipping and putting contest before the round and only one person sank the 20 putt and no one holed out the chip.  Needless to say, a score of -23 is damn near impossible!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by Motown88

I played with him in this outing and for $20 you received 4 mulligans (1 for each person), 4 red tees (to play from the ladies tee on one hole), and 2" of string.  Each team could buy only one of these.  In order to obtain this score the team had to birdie every par 3 and par 4, eagle one par 4, and eagle all 4 par 5's.  Their was a chipping and putting contest before the round and only one person sank the 20 putt and no one holed out the chip.  Needless to say, a score of -23 is damn near impossible!

Just curious but what was the length rating and slope of the course? I played in a 2 man event that had none of those things and I think the winners came in at 2 or 3 under. Yards 6043 rate 70.4 slope 131, I got paired with a guy who was absolutely horrible and we managed a 75, 95% of the shots were mine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by onesome

Just curious but what was the length rating and slope of the course? I played in a 2 man event that had none of those things and I think the winners came in at 2 or 3 under. Yards 6043 rate 70.4 slope 131, I got paired with a guy who was absolutely horrible and we managed a 75, 95% of the shots were mine.

Here is a link to the scorecard: http://clubsg.skygolf.com/courses/scorecard.php?id=18796

The distance from the white tees (where we were playing) is 6,236, rating of 68.8, and a slope of 127.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I would not have, in my wildest imagination ever thought someone asking what is a good scramble score would have generated 6 pages of comments. Wow!  A controversial subject?  I play in several a year, mostly for charity and enjoy it. The point is to go knock a ball around a course with your buddies and help out a worthy cause while having fun.  It the sponsors can make a few extra buck selling mulligans, string or whatever, good for them,  Why does anyone care?  If you don't like the format/rules just don't play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I'm not surprised someone wouldn't like the format, it is goofy and honestly I'm not that crazy about it either. I do it because I get invited and to not show up would make me look bad. What I don't get is why someone would approach it like they are trying to qualify for the US Open. The rules and format aren't vague, it is what it is. Just a step above putt-putt IMO. The biggest hassle for me is trying to arrange a ride home because I always drink too much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played in a modified scramble Monday.  Foursomes were split into 2 teams and each team played their own best ball.   Only the winning team got to submit their score for prizes, losers got nothing.  Everyone expected it to be a best ball for the 4 some, so it pissed off a bunch of teams that had 4 strong players as only 2 would have a shot at the prizes.  Scores were higher than I'd seen in other 4 man scrambles, -4 was the best score of the day on a Par 72 course.  Also no string or mulligans for purchase either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok I played in a 4 man scramble today and I left with a very sour attitude about these types of tournaments! The winning team which consisted of an 14 year old boy, a 12 year old girl and their fathers turned in a score of 46 on a par 71 course. That means they had 7 eagles and 11 birdies to shoot -25! How believable is that??? This is a fairly long course with most of the par 4's being well out of driving distance. My team didn't fair to well and we really didn't have a dog in the fight but after looking at that score I realized even on our best day we couldn't beat their pencil!! If you put four of the top PGA tour players on a team i.e bubba, tiger, Phil, etc could those guy get 7 eagles and 11 birdies? I'm sure they probably could but it would still be impressive. That's sad those dads could teacher their kids that kind of stuff at such an early age.
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by JDM83

Ok I played in a 4 man scramble today and I left with a very sour attitude about these types of tournaments! The winning team which consisted of an 14 year old boy, a 12 year old girl and their fathers turned in a score of 46 on a par 71 course. That means they had 7 eagles and 11 birdies to shoot -25! How believable is that??? This is a fairly long course with most of the par 4's being well out of driving distance. My team didn't fair to well and we really didn't have a dog in the fight but after looking at that score I realized even on our best day we couldn't beat their pencil!! If you put four of the top PGA tour players on a team i.e bubba, tiger, Phil, etc could those guy get 7 eagles and 11 birdies? I'm sure they probably could but it would still be impressive. That's sad those dads could teacher their kids that kind of stuff at such an early age.

Could you buy mulligans or string?  If so then this may be possible, extremely unlikely, but possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by JDM83

Ok I played in a 4 man scramble today and I left with a very sour attitude about these types of tournaments! The winning team which consisted of an 14 year old boy, a 12 year old girl and their fathers turned in a score of 46 on a par 71 course. That means they had 7 eagles and 11 birdies to shoot -25! How believable is that??? This is a fairly long course with most of the par 4's being well out of driving distance. My team didn't fair to well and we really didn't have a dog in the fight but after looking at that score I realized even on our best day we couldn't beat their pencil!! If you put four of the top PGA tour players on a team i.e bubba, tiger, Phil, etc could those guy get 7 eagles and 11 birdies? I'm sure they probably could but it would still be impressive. That's sad those dads could teacher their kids that kind of stuff at such an early age.

Just remember it's all for charity so that makes it okay. Really disgusting behaviour by the fathers, or did you also miss out when they were selling a dozen mulligans for $2.00 or 300' of string for $5.00?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Note: This thread is 3348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Might look at the Shelta brand hats . Reinforced brim stops flop in the wind. Look a bit dorky but they excell in wind or in a boat
    • I definitely know I have an interesting swing but I can consistently repeat it. I always tell the kids do as I say and not as I do…lol. I actually figured out what I was doing that at least put me back to my normal yardages. My hips were facing the ball at impact instead of being a little more angled forward. I was also cupping a bit, as soon as I fixed both of those my yardages were back to normal.    When I went from hitting my 8 iron 155 to barely hitting it 135 yards it became quite frustrating. There really are no competent instructors near me so I’m mainly left on my own. I coach our golf team so I can usually figure out the fixes but this one took me a while! 
    • Of course, there's always the option of leaving your grips alone and sandpapering your hands...
    • Matt did a pretty good job of answering you with regards to three putting. It’s not factored into my math because it’s not particularly relevant. As discussed a ball that’s going to miss has a 50-50 shot of ending up closer or farther from the hole if it hits a bump.
    • It is simple...  Lets say a bad golfer hits a putt on a line that would leave it 5-FT to the left of the hole. If there is some randomness on the green, each time he hits this putt, there is a chance it would end up 5'-6" from the hole, or maybe 4'-6" from the hole. The randomness doesn't necessarily cause ever putt to end up worse. Yes, the dispersion would increase if you map the putts. Lets say this golfer hits 100 putts. If his perfect green shot zone is a 5-FT circle, then maybe the randomness shot zone is 5'-6" circle. Some of those 100 putts would end up further away, but with enough putts, and if it is equally random to end up further away or closer to the hole, then an equal number would end up closer.  In reality, it will even its self out to not causing significant strokes lost (SGP). What matters more is just the putts that end up missed or made. 
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. goofi22
      goofi22
      (43 years old)
    2. HackardLaw
      HackardLaw
      (38 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...