IGNORED

Is there such a thing as a cheap laser rangefinder?

Note: This thread is 4298 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been toying with the idea of buying a rangefinder but for 200+ they are too expensive. I have seen some cheap ones, under fifty dollars but the magnification is not very good. Are there any laser rangefinders that are of decent quality that are under fifty dollars?

I think in this case you get what you pay for. Maybe you can snag one on Ebay. I bought my Bushnell V2 about 2 years ago for $299 so it has cost me about 41 cents a day. I have to say that it was the best golf purchase that I have ever made and has saved me more strokes than any driver, putter, or hybrid.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I have seen some cheap ones, under fifty dollars but the magnification is not very good.

Those are probably "scopes." They're just a monocular that has lines a specified distance apart, and you estimate the distance based on the perceived size of the flagstick. I'd doubt you could find a $50 laser.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jamo

Those are probably "scopes." They're just a monocular that has lines a specified distance apart, and you estimate the distance based on the perceived size of the flagstick. I'd doubt you could find a $50 laser.

This. They work under the assumption that a flag is 7 feet high. They are far from accurate, and do not read distances in any way aside from lining up the marks.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Scopes are worthless. Put a dollar a day in a jar and before you know it, hello range finder.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by cc41139

Define cheap; Or do you mean inexpensive (define that, too)?

I meant inexpensive, as in less than a pair of shoes.

Thanks for all the replies guys, for now I think I'll stick with the gps on my phone and be on the lookout for good sales on quality rangefinders

Originally Posted by ApocG10

This. They work under the assumption that a flag is 7 feet high.

Funny story about flag height......

A couple rounds into my comeback to the game, my third shot into a par five sits inside the 100 yard marker by about 10-15 yards. Looking at the green though made it look farther away so I choke down on a PW playing it at about 100 yards. I flew the green and into the woods. I get to the green and stomp passed the flag only to see it's about 5' tall. Threw off my perception really bad. I'll never trust that the flags are standard again.

To answer the OP, no. You might be able to get lucky enough to get one cheap on eBay or something like that but under $50, I doubt it. I picked up my Leopold GX-I for $200 on eBay (new, in box) right after Christmas and feel like I got a great deal ($299 in stores). They aren't cheap by any means but it is worth the money in my opinion.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by dirtdobber

I'm looking to purchase a range aid device, however, I can't decide whether to purchase a laser ranger finder or one of the mapping devices such as sky caddie. Any suggestions or comments?

Personally, I prefer my laser over any GPS... I very rarely need to know a distance to something I can't see and I know that it's accurate and fast. GPS rangefinders can be a bit more inaccurate and that could cause you to pull a wrong club, but they give the advantage of having distances to many different targets at a single glance.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I'm looking to purchase a range aid device, however, I can't decide whether to purchase a laser ranger finder or one of the mapping devices such as sky caddie. Any suggestions or comments?

Laser.... Super accurate and fast. Also can zap yardage to most things a mapping device would tell you.

In the bag:

TaylorMade R11 Driver (10.5 stiff stock shaft)

TaylorMade R11 3wood (15 degree stiff stock shaft)

Adams IdeaPro 3i hybrid (20 degree)

Titleist DCI 4-PW (photo)

Cleveland CG15 wedges (52, 56, 60)

Odyssey White-Hot 2-Ball (Superstroke oversize grip)

Bushnell Tour V2 Rangefinder

Ping Hoofer 2012 Bag

Originally Posted by kymonopoly

Thoughts on the Bushnell V2 vs. the Bushnell Medalist?  Or general impressions of either model in general?   Thank you

I have the Bushnell Tour V2....it is excellent. Fits in one hand, reading yardage takes less than a second, etc. Highly recommend. Haven't seen or used the Medalist....although I know it's a two-handed operation and slightly larger. The Tour Z6 is supposed to be pretty slick as well.

In the bag:

TaylorMade R11 Driver (10.5 stiff stock shaft)

TaylorMade R11 3wood (15 degree stiff stock shaft)

Adams IdeaPro 3i hybrid (20 degree)

Titleist DCI 4-PW (photo)

Cleveland CG15 wedges (52, 56, 60)

Odyssey White-Hot 2-Ball (Superstroke oversize grip)

Bushnell Tour V2 Rangefinder

Ping Hoofer 2012 Bag

Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx

ebay or craigslist. Maybe a pawn shop?

I never thought of a pawn shop, but if you call around you could probably find one and try it out before you bought it.

Note: This thread is 4298 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!