IGNORED

Bethpage Black on Friday

Note: This thread is 4446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not sure my already bruised ego is going to be ready for this. My game has been so inconsistent the last few years. I hear it's a great track though so hopefully I can put my score behind me and just enjoy the day with some friends.

Played it years ago, before the restoration and even though the turf was in sad shape, it was still a great course and quite tough. The main issues are the sand and reading the greens. Play from the right tees, keep out of the sand and you should be OK. There is not a lot of OB or water (one par 3 if I recall).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Unfortunately the trip was cancelled at the last minute. We should be able to set it up again either later this year or sometime next year though. It's still on my bucket list.

Originally Posted by Grumpter

Unfortunately the trip was cancelled at the last minute. We should be able to set it up again either later this year or sometime next year though. It's still on my bucket list.

Sorry to hear that. It's a great course on a great piece of land.

No worries. My connection will be working in the area for at least another year so I should be able to get on. Tomorrow won't be a complete bust as I have a foursome going to take a tour of a local beer brewery, then hitting my cousins bar for some lunch and finally on to golf (as long as the weather cooperates).

Originally Posted by Grumpter

No worries. My connection will be working in the area for at least another year so I should be able to get on. Tomorrow won't be a complete bust as I have a foursome going to take a tour of a local beer brewery, then hitting my cousins bar for some lunch and finally on to golf (as long as the weather cooperates).

I'm jealous that you have a connection.  My in-laws used to live right around the corner from Bethpage (East Meadow) but my father-in-law never took me there.  He only liked to play Eisenhower Park (which has nice courses too, don't get me wrong).  Now the in-laws live out here (Orange County, CA), so I may be out of luck.

It's a great course, unfortunately the first and only time I played it my game and swing were not even close to being ready for the challenge.   It's a pretty brutal course that punishes you the entire time.

The day we played it, it was in the mid 90's and we were all beat.  Reach the 18th hole and we're all just ready to hit the 19th hole and relax but the course wasn't done with us.  The 18th is a par 4 411 yard hole that's really tight with bunkers and heavy nasty fescue lining the fairway.  If you hit into the fescue your chances are pretty slim you'll be able to reach the elevated green.

I am looking forward to a trip back now that my swing has improved.  Let us know how the round goes, it was by far the toughest course I ever played.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 4446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!