IGNORED

Removing Labels from Shafts?

GolfingWithCigars
Note: This thread is 1506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Holy thread revival, Batman! :bugout: ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Holy thread revival, Batman!

As long as there's been golf, there's been golfers agonizing about getting the sticky label crud off of their new clubs, haha. As ever it was, so it ever shall be

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I was in golf retail for quite a while, so I have literally removed thousands of stickers of all kinds, from price stickers, bar codes, OEM stickers, shaft bands etc.  Here are a couple of things I learned over the years that will make your life much easier:

-When possible, always start with a heat gun.  I've even used a normal hair dryer in a pinch, it just takes a little longer.  Don't use a torch.

-Don't melt the stickers off with the heat gun...just use enough heat to soften the glue on the back to make it peel of easily.

-Do not start to peel the sticker before using the heat gun. It's much easier to remove an intact sticker after heating than one that has been picked at all around the edges and corners when it was cold.  At that point, even with heat it will be a mess.

-Any type of sticky residue can be removed with odorless mineral spirits (paint thinner) without damaging any part of the club.  Dip the corner of a piece of paper towel into the mineral spirits enough to saturate it without it dripping.  Yes, other fluids can and will work. Some are not harmful when contacting your skin, some don't have fumes, some don't have an odor, but this is the only one I know of that is all of those things, it evaporates fast and it's not very expensive.

-Do not use acetone or fingernail polish to remove sticker residue.

-If this is something you'll be doing on a regular basis, grow one or both of your thumbnails out.  Sometimes a little scrapping is needed on shafts or clubheads, and razor blades or other tools will scratch or damage the surface but your thumbnail won't (or at least not nearly as easily)

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Nail polish remover is ACETONE. Be very careful on graphite shafts.

I don't know if it will hurt, but I wouldn't take the chance.

Nail polish remover can be Acetone, but some of it is methyl ethyl ketone which is not as volatile of a solvent nor as harsh. Look at the labels. However, I would recommend Goo Gone even on graphite shafts.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• 4 years later...
  • iacas changed the title to Removing Labels from Shafts?
Note: This thread is 1506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!