Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Uncle Peter

A good fairway wood...

13 posts in this topic

So I decided that I need to buy a new set of fairway woods for various reasons. I'm looking for a good set that's not too expensive (I'm going to have to buy 2 of them), but good-quality. I don't want any of those top-of-the-line adjustable ones, just a good reliable club that gets the job done.

Any recommendations?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

The best advice I can give is go out to a golf shop and hit a couple.  I've hit many of the newer fairway woods but still can't convince myself I need them.  I have Big Bertha fairway woods that have held up through the test of time and they still feel the same as the newer more advanced woods.  Fancier isn't always better.

Yeah, I do plan on going to test a few out, but I just want to get a rough idea of what is good and worth the money.

I have been trying very hard to find replacement for my Callaway Warbirds. I cant' The new ones have almost identical face sizes side to side But he new ones have shorter face sizes top to bottom. The new one may have a shallower profile but I hate hitting a shot only to have the club go under the ball and the ball goes nowhere.

Warbirds are effective, abundant and cheap.VERY CHEAP The head covers look cool as well.  I get a bit of a snob thing going or what ever you want to call it and desire the new hot and pretty fairways but the Warbirds remain ever present in my bag.

I really like the ping fairway woods. I was choosing between the i20 and the G20. Titleist are very nice as well

I was actually looking at the Ping G15 wood. I've read some reviews about it and apparently it is very forgiving and you'll improve with it as you get better.

Taylormade V-Steel's....You are only going to be able to find them used but one hell of a club.  Many PGA players still use these today and I absolutely love mine.  Good luck in your search.

I just got a G20 3 wood.  I like it so far.  It was $199.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dsc123

I just got a G20 3 wood.  I like it so far.  It was $199.

Is there really a lot of difference between the G20 and G15? The G15 is $60 less than the G20 at my local golf store, so is it worth it?

Originally Posted by Uncle Peter

Is there really a lot of difference between the G20 and G15? The G15 is $60 less than the G20 at my local golf store, so is it worth it?

My guess is that there is a difference, but that its very small.  And that opinion is based on my general impression that there are minor improvements from one version to the next.  I've never hit the G15.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have struggled in the past to hit fairway woods.  But this year I have made an effort to improve my swing so that I can take advantage of the distance offered by fairway woods.  I started with a Cobra Baffler Rail F 5W (18*) and I really like.  So much so that I just received a 7W (20*) today!  It was only $35 (used) so I couldn't resist buying it.  It was in great condition with a head cover.  Like most, I can only recommend what I've tried.

Thanks for all of the responses everyone. I ended up going to my local golf store and trying out a few woods. It turns out that the Ping G15 woods felt the best out of all of them and the 3 wood was even on sale, so I ended up buying it.

The club feels great and I hit about 170 with it on the simulator. I like its sleek and low-profile look, which I think is similar to a hybrid. Hopefully I'll be able to try it out soon on a course.