IGNORED

Mike Weir- will he ever make it back?

MEfree
Note: This thread is 3196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Mike Weir shares alot of similarities to David Duval as far as where their games have gone since the early 2000s. They both show a bit to start each season now but fall later on. As a big Duval fan I share the pain but at least Mike has strung together a few nice ones. Enough to get some traction back in his career. If only a little. Ive attended quite a few Canadian Opens being so close to Ontario and even well after his game has fallen off, Canadians still follow him like Tiger during the tournament. Good to see as Mike has earned it. Certainly had a good enough stretch to consider his career very successful. He might not have had the overall depth of resume as Duval (money list perhaps but that is skewed based on growing purses) but in comparison even a small window of success (5-6 years) doesnt make your accomplishments any less. If I had to pick between the 2 to win again Id pick Duval. Certainly some bias but Mikes problem is his length. If hes not hitting it straight he cant rely enough on length or other parts of his game. Duvals length is still competitive enough to score even if mistakes off the tee are made. Be fun to see both guys win a few again before senior tour. As for Canada in general its nice to see DeLaet emerge as a legitimate contender on tour. His game I always felt had enough in it to be better than Weir overall. Hes got more distance as well. Whether he lives up to it is another question.

Hmm...Mike finished second a few months ago, and nothing since. The problem is he sprays his driver all over the place and it only goes around 275. Not a good combo. Duval just wrecked by injuries. I'd say Mike has a better shot because he can get hot. He got hot a few months ago and was just throwing darts at the pin. Duval just can't string together two good rounds. I don't really expect either of them to win again, tbh.

Riley

RJH youre going to feel pretty dumb when they both finish 1 and 2 after a playoff in the Wyndham this week.

The only question is: Who wins that playoff?

Riley

Does he retain his card? I thought that they switched it to only top 125 FedEx cup leaders get their card?

I am not sure what it will be next year, but for the current season (13-14), guys who did not make the playoff but were top 125 $ are in  All-Exempt PGA TOUR Priority Ranking category 19 (just behind Top 125 Fed Ex list and ahead of Medical Extensions and top 50 Web.com Tour Finals Money List players).  4 Players are in category 19 currently

19. Top 125 on previous season’s Official Money List through the Wyndham Championship
Nicolas Colsaerts
Padraig Harrington
David Toms
Peter Hanson

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2013/player_exemptions.html

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Mike fired a bogey free four under 66 and trails Webb Simpson, Will McGirt and Camilo V by 2. He really needs a strong week to get a spot in the playoffs and possible secure a card. Will we see a repeat of Byron Nelson? I'm hoping so. We'll see.

Riley

I was at the LPGA championship today so I missed the first round but nice to see Mike have a good round. He knows the pressure is on but I wonder if he can put 4 rounds together. Key is not to have a dud tomorrow.

Duval shot E along side Camillo. A bit unfortunate as he shot well and made some birdies but didnt make any extra putts when needed. It was fun watching David get TV coverage as part of Villegas playing well.

Davif Duval did shoot 59 (once upon a time...) Still it's quite impressive to have on your record. Nicklaus only ever shot 62 I think. Best final round in tournament, ever. Though Furyk for sure made a good 59 also. He even had that bogey.

The thing about Mike is that he can get hot and really stuff some irons and wedges. Unfortunately his driving frankly sucks.

Its too bad he cant hit for any sort of length. Guys like him need to rely on accuracy. Without either hes the guy that misses every cut in a given season. Just needs to keep that driver down the line and let his strengths do the rest. Seems like what hes doing this week.

Davif Duval did shoot 59 (once upon a time...)

Still it's quite impressive to have on your record. Nicklaus only ever shot 62 I think.

Best final round in tournament, ever.

Though Furyk for sure made a good 59 also. He even had that bogey.

Certainly is. David in his prime could do anything though. No one was stopping him. A combo of a injuries and real life mental focus took him in a different direction that he was not able to recover from as of yet :)

Hopefully Weir will hang on today and make the cut to give himself a chance to play a great weekend and gain an unlikely (at this point), playoff berth.

Ugh just like I was saying not to do, he shoots 74 after a 66. Seems to be what players like him and Duval do after good first rounds.

The cut appears like its going to stay at -1.

Wrong thread but Duval on the other hand was +3 after 9 and I pretty much stopped following him and went out to do something. Came back home and saw he shot -4 on the back 9 to finish -1 overall and will likely make the cut. Pretty nice to see he had that in him. A decent weekend would be cool. Top 30 would do be nice.

• 10 months later...

Um, yeah. Wow.

I just scroll to the bottom of the scoreboard to see where he's sitting. Although he's one of my all time favourites it's time for him to hang it up. He clearly can't compete out there for a full four rounds.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

I just scroll to the bottom of the scoreboard to see where he's sitting. Although he's one of my all time favourites it's time for him to hang it up. He clearly can't compete out there for a full four rounds.

Obviously, this year has been a huge disappointment to him and he isn't getting any younger, but he did have a solo 2nd last year, so maybe he can still get it done at times. All it takes it a couple really good weeks to make for a decent season on the PGA Tour. 5/18/14 HP Byron Nelson Championship 2 68 66 67 67 -- 268 -12 Will have to improve his driving/ball striking - currently last in distance, fairways hit and GIR. Not sure if injuries have been an issue this year, but all his stats, including putting are worse than last season, so maybe the game has past him by. Obviously, if he doesn't get it together soon, he will eventually only be able to get in the Masters and unpopular tournaments that take a lot of former tour winners, then the SR Tour when he hits 50.

I asked this question myself not long ago because it always puzzles me how athletes can fall off the map like this. I checked his stats for a few tournaments and saw that he was averaging like 240 off the tee and hitting 35% of fairways. Throw in 40% GIR and I couldn't believe this guy was a major championship winner. Tough to watch.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!