IGNORED

best driver under $200?

Note: This thread is 6134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I got my r5 TP on ebay for $175, brand new. the ebay searches always brought up like 20 of the same club at the same price, so i eventually broke down and got one. either i'll outhit the other people i'm with, or i'll slice it across 3 fairways.

If you have a strait drive, then I wouldn't go with anything that says draw. Seems to me that if you are driving strait you have most of the battle won.

With all the new spaceship drivers that have come out in 2007 you can get the model they are replacing on closeout for $150-$200. There are a lot of choices. Callaway X460, Callaway FT-3, Cleveland HiBore (Original), Cleveland Launcher Ti & Comp, Cobra Speed, Nike Sasquatch, Taylor Made R7, Titleist 905R, and I'm sure there are a bunch more. IMO there's a great market for the $200 driver.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

My opinion and ranking after having tried a few drivers of models that are considered older or out of date now but can be had for $200 or less are as follows:

T1) Taylormade R580 XD
Best feel/sound and 2nd only to Cleveland in forgiveness and distance.

T1) Cleveland Launcher 460
Most forgiving with the best distance.

2) Taylormade R5 Neutral
Feel/sound quite different than the R580. Forgiveness/distance was not quite as good as the two above it.

3) Titleist 905R
For some reason could not hit the sweet spot as regularly with this club? therefore feel/distance suffered.

4) Callaway Big Bertha 454
I did not like the shaft in this club. feel was not impressive and i didn't like the high pitched ting on impact.
Note: All clubs were tested with factory stiff shafts.

So overall it was a toss up between the R580 XD and Launcher. I picked up the R580XD as it was the best value club out there at the time (year and a half ago). Been very happy with it ever since.

What's In my bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R5 Dual 9.5* UST Proforce V2 77g S
3Wood: Mizuno F-60 13.5* Mizuno Exsar 75S
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 3/4 Aldila VS Proto 80SIrons: Adams Pro Forged (5-PW) True Temper Black Gold SWedges: Cleveland 588 (3) 50, 588 (DSG) 54 & 60Putter: Ping i-Series Craz-EBalls:.....

the Titleist 905 S, T, or R are all outstanding. I have the T and R and preffer the smaller T

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

great thread guys!

In my Matrix XTT bag,
on my Sun Mountain Speed Cart
LD M-Speed 10.5* Driver
V18 full set of starter clubs
3W, 3iw, 4iw, 5-S Irons and Wedges Kirk Currie KC4 PutterHome Course:Pajaro Valley Golf Clubwww.pajarovalleygolf.com

• 3 weeks later...
I would recommend the Tour Edge Bazooka Geomax. I bought one this spring for $200 brand new. I couldn't be happier with it. The best part is that it has a LIFETIME Warranty on the shaft and head.

I got my r5 TP on ebay for $175, brand new. the ebay searches always brought up like 20 of the same club at the same price, so i eventually broke down and got one. either i'll outhit the other people i'm with, or i'll slice it across 3 fairways.

You might wanna get it checked out man, 80% of R5s on fleabay are chinese knockoffs.

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

I would go w/the HiBore, I use the XL and used to use the Ti460 and hated it.

In My Bag :

Driver : HiBore XL
3 Wood : Launcher Gold
Hybrid : 3i Halo 22*Irons : CG4 4-PWWedges : 588 DSG RTG 52* CG11 56* / 60*Putter : GM Exchange2 #4Ball : Z-URS

I currently own the r5 type N and love it. This is the second year I have been playing it. I personally think it is the best driver for the money. It has a wonderful feel and miss hits still go far.

I recently went to a demo days in the area and tried out the latest and greatest. I found nothing that I like better than what I am currently hitting. The only thing I may be upgrading soon on it is the shaft.

This is truly a great club for the price.

Driver : SQ Sumo 5000 9.5˚ VS 65 proto
3 Wood : V steel
Irons : MP-32 3-PW
Wedges : R-series 56˚ & 60˚
Putter : Tri-Force 2Ball : Pro V1x

I have a Taylormade R5 type N 9.5* w/UST Proforce 65 stiff shaft and headcover in excellent condition you can have for $125 shipped.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I have tried several "high dollar" drivers.

Where are the HIGH DOLLAR drivers on this list???

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I bought my dad a brand new 905R at the PGA Tour Superstore for $168. Still wrapped and came with the Grafalloy Blue shaft.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

I just picked up a Cobra F Speed 10.5 Reg last week. They had it marked down to $199.00 and he sold it to me for $150.00. This is last years F Speed, not the Speed LD. I LOVE it!
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

Note: This thread is 6134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!