IGNORED

best driver under $200?

Note: This thread is 6105 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

im looking for a new driver but only have 200 to spend, i was looking at the cleveland hibore, taylormade r5, sasquatch and others, but my driving range only has the really high end drivers to demo. im pretty new so what are the main differences that i should consider when looking at these?

Cleveland Ti 460

Can be had now for $150-180.

Don't have one, but I've hit one and I'm thinking about making the switch myself. Don't think you'll beat it in that price range.

I know nothing about them, but I've heard good things about the Tour Edge Geomax as well. I believe it's somewhere in that range.

In my bag -

MacGregor V-Foil 13º
Lynx Fairway Metal 18º
TM SuperSteel Burner 3-PWSrixon I-201 56ºPurespin Wedges 52º & 60º

I've been really happy with my Taylormade R580xd can be had from dicks sporting goods for 130 bucks now.

I'm terrible, but i have fun.

In the Bag:
Taylormade r580XD 10.5° Reg flex
3 + 5 wood - Dunlop graphite shaft parts from a set3-pw - Dunlop set that looks sorta like ping I3's (i'm sorely in need of an upgrade.)LW/SW/GW - Adams black 52, 56, 60 degree wedges.Putter - Ping Karsten Anser 34"Bac...

Titleist 904r is supposively really nice for around $199.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Try ebay, you cant some really nice new drivers for under 200. If your new and want some height on the ball and such, try the King Cobra F-speed.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

you can get last year's nike sasquatch for $199 or less all over the internet.

My Bag

Hybrids: nike.gif VR_S 17º, CPR3 18º, 22º, 26º, 30º R Graphite

Irons: nike.gif Slingshot 6I-PW R Steel

Wedges: nike.gif SV 52º/10, 56º/14

Putter: taylormade.gif Rossa Monza Corsa 34"

Ball: nike.gif One RZN-X

Try to get a pre-owned club without much use on it. You can get a $300 dollar driver for half that, that way.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Cleveland Ti 460

I picked up the Cleveland Launcher Ti 460 for $150.00 at Golfsmith. Its a great driver, just last year's model. I think they still have them available at this price online. I'm totally happy with it. I can't see spending $400 on a club that I maybe hit 6 times per round.

Driver: Launcher, 10.5°
Fairway: Big Bertha 2007, 15° & 18°
Hybrid: Rapture, 21° & 24°
Irons: Big Bertha 2006, 5 - PW
Wedges: Vokey, 52° & 56°Putter: White Hot XG, Rossie Ball: HX HotI'm not saying my golf game went bad, but if I grew tomatoes, they'd come up sliced. ~ Lee Trevino

I got my Titleist 905R for 199, and I really like it. I haven't tried any of the drivers on your list, but of the one's you listed the r5 would probably be the safest bet.

Driver: 905R 9.5° (Titleist Speeder by Fujikura - S)
3-Wood: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce v2 - S)
5-Wood: 909F3 18° (Matrix Ozick - S)
Irons: Amp Irons 4-PW (True Temper Dynalite 90 - S)
Wedges:   Oil Can 248.06, 254.10, 260.04
Putter: White Hot XG #5

I got my Titleist 905R for 199, and I really like it. I haven't tried any of the drivers on your list, but of the one's you listed the r5 would probably be the safest bet.

I have to chime in here. I owned and absolutely hated an r5. Worst $200 I ever spent. I'm sure the clubhead is fine, but the stock TM shaft is crap in my opinion. My swing speed is pretty mediocre and the regular flex shaft felt like a spaghetti noodle. Just something to keep in mind - You may have to reshaft if you go the r5 route.

My apologies to any current r5 owners who believe the club is spectacular....

In my bag -

MacGregor V-Foil 13º
Lynx Fairway Metal 18º
TM SuperSteel Burner 3-PWSrixon I-201 56ºPurespin Wedges 52º & 60º

I made the decision to buy a used R7 club on ebay and I could not have been happier. I bought the 425 model last summer as an upgrade to the R360 I was hitting and I couldn't believe that I was actually hitting straighter. Either way, fantastic club if you're willing to buy used. (I provided a link to a used 425 for $200)

Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 Driver

-- For Sale: Titleist 907 Driver

I have tried several "high dollar" drivers.
I have a closet full.
The driver head is not of much consequence, but the shaft is of utmost importance!!!
I have an Adams rpm 460 11.5 deg draw with Adelia nvs reg that is awesome, but it has too much loft.
I got sucked in to the hype of the Krank red hot Chili Pepper (RHCP). A nice stick, but the shaft just doesn't have the kick of an Adelia.
I purchased a La Jolla 450Ti 10 deg with a Rapport Pro-jec R TW6535R shaft for $20. (Shaft retails for $79.95)
The head is OK but the shaft is a killer.
I have a few other drivers that are of not "wowers", but they all have some merit.
My "present" favorite is an "Olimar 440 Ti 9.5 deg with an Adelia NVS 65 reg flex shaft.
I am presently looking into putting the Rapport shaft into the Orlimar head.
I think it would like to think that would be the best combo for me .

As you can see I do not take much stock in high dollar TV ads. I am more of an "I'll do it my way, thank you" person. Of course I am often wrong, but not always. (no matter what my ex says)

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

if i couldnt hit them first i would go for the cleveland hibore. its $150(even cheaper used) all over the place online but if you read the reviews you will notice it gets the ball in the air quickly so if you hit a high trajectory already, consider getting a lower loft. thats what i would do if i was in your position.

In my wasabe green ozone bag:

Hibore 9.5° w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft Driver

G10 15° 1H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft G10 18° 2H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft T-Zoid Pro 3-PW S300 CG10 52° 2 Dot Black Pearl CG10 56° 2 Dot Black Pearl Newport 2 TerylliumLow Score = 88

I think Callaway Big Bertha 460 $199 is great

qft I agree!
Currently in my titleist.gif X86 stand bag:

taylormade.gif R7 Superquad 9.5* (Mitsubishi Diamana Blue Board); taylormade.gif R7 15*; titleist.gif 585H 21*, adams.gif ---*; --- 4-9 (KBS); vokey.gif [48*], 56*, 60* (SM); cameron.gifStudio Select Newport 2 Midslant 34"

Ball - titleist.gif Pro V1X

if i got the r7 draw would it always draw? cuz i have a pretty strait drive

i think they make it in neutral as well.

In my wasabe green ozone bag:

Hibore 9.5° w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft Driver

G10 15° 1H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft G10 18° 2H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft T-Zoid Pro 3-PW S300 CG10 52° 2 Dot Black Pearl CG10 56° 2 Dot Black Pearl Newport 2 TerylliumLow Score = 88

Note: This thread is 6105 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!