IGNORED

Holes that seem to have your number?

Puttin4Bird
Note: This thread is 6165 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As I was reading Dent's post ( http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6127 ) I got to thinking about a particular hole at my course that for whatever reason just seems to be in my head. The hole isn't even very difficult ( http://www.bakkercrossing.com/Hole11sinfo.htm ) just a 180 yd par 3 from the blue tees. I never used to struggle there but the last 4 or 5 times I have played it I've pulled/hooked/topped my first ball into the water each time.

The drop area is up about 60 yds and I usually get up and leave with a double, occasionally I've even retee'd from the original spot and don't seem to struggle after that initial plunk into the drink.

It is now to the point that it is in my head, the second I putt out on 10 I'm already thinking of my tee ball going into the water on 11. I think I'm going to go there some evening after most groups are through and tee up balls until I get the good mojo if you will, back again. Wednesday I played 9 and we started on 10, I birdied that right off the bat so I was off to a great start, get to 11...yep, water and a double. DAMN!

For me I think it all started last year, my final time playing there we played a tournament from the black tees, very windy day and I put one in the drink there, not that it was my first time, but very seldom before that.

Anyway, I'm curious to see if there are any other members that have that one hole at their course or anywhere that just seems to really get in your head. Let's talk about it and exercise those demons!!!

"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

Yeah, #7 at our course. Again, a simple Par 3. Only about 155 yards...a smooth 8 iron. But for some reason, no matter how i'm playing up until that point....i always...ALWAYS pull hook it. It gets soooo frustrating because i'm up there doing all I can to prevent it.

Its a very large area to land a ball, so its easy to find. I usually bogey from way to the left of the green...sometimes if I get a good chip I can still par, but rarely.

I have since somewhat conquered this hole, but here goes:

At a golf course near me (Rose Park Golf Course, Salt Lake City, Utah) the back 9 has a hole, #12, that from the blue tees is (I think) a 476 yard par 4. Now for some shorter hitters making birdies and pars here is nearly impossible, but I have no issue popping a drive out there 275 or something close to that. For the longest time I would tend to either snaphook the ball out of bounds to the left, or miss it in the fairway off to the right. I think this partly had to do with the fact that seeing as the fairway is EXTREMELY wide, it makes the hole look longer than it is because you can see all the way down to the hole, and I was just trying to murder drives. I actually managed to make a kick-in Birdie the other day, so I was pretty proud of myself for that.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

The Par-5 #9 at the course closest to my house. It's a 180 yard carry over a creek with only about a 60 yard lane between some really tall trees. I refer to it as the 65 yard field goal. My usual spot is over the trees to the right hoping the ball doesn't bounce back into the creek behind. I've had trouble with that tee shot probably 80% of the times I've played there. It's totally in my head.

I have two.

Number 17 at White Lake Oaks. It is a longer par 4 that starts from an elevated tee, goes down hill and comes back up about 230 yards from the tee. It then drops again before comming back up to the green about 175 yards later. It kills me because I am often hitting from a downhill lie to an elevated green. Being the second to last hole, I usually know exactly where I stand for a score and have seen numerous rounds die a painfull death there.

Number 6 at Heather Highlands. It is a 219 yard Par 3. It usually plays into the wind. It's a stretch to get my 3 Hybrid there and I often struggle hitting a partial swing with my 3 wood. It started a two hole spiral on Wednesday that ruined my best round of the year.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

#4 at OSU Scarlet. 562 yard par 5 that goes up, dogleg left with a corner bunker and tree left and right.. then downhill to a landing area in front of a creek.. and up and to the right to the green.. with a pond in front, steep hill to rub short shots to the water and 4 bunkers in all corners of the green. i usualyl pull an 8.

Number 18 at Fox Run. Let me see if I can dig up my original post about that hole. I hate that hole.

I shot a really ugly 102 at Fox Run today. On the front nine, I couldn't hit the ball squarely to save my life. I was spraying my drives and my irons couldn't get me on the green. I'd seen places I'd never seen before on that golf course. It all went to shit on the 9th hole. The story of that hole is a comedy and a tragedy all in one. See, I had a 43 after 8 holes, and by and large, I could salvage an acceptable score if I could get out of here and make the turn without a snowman, or worse. The 18th hole (I started out on the back nine) is a par five, about 515 yards from the men's tees. You take a shot uphill, about 240 yards, and then it doglegs right from there. Cutting the corner is a bad idea because there's a creek down there, and it's gotten it's share of my balls. The dog-leg right (90 degrees), and then about another 60 yards of fairway before you're up in front of this massive lake. You've still got about 200 to the hole, and a new stretch of fairway is on the right side of that, lined with fairway traps on the right side, leading up to the green right next to the other end of the lake. I've gotten my share of snowmen and double-digit scores here before. The best I've ever done was a snowman. So, I pulled out the driver and fired down the fairway. It doglegs to the right after about 240 yards--predictably, I hit it long and found myself in a fairway trap. Ok, no problem. I'll just hit a 3 iron out to the right, take the lake out of play, hit my next shot close, and two-putt for par. I yanked it left and my Pinnacle got wet. Still, no problem. I'll go up about 50 yards to the drop area, cut a big 3-wood over the lake straight at the green, get it close and save par. Splash. Shit! Now I'm hitting six, in the exact same spot. Forget saving par, forget saving a decent score, forget staying below 50 for the 9 holes. But, I have that shot. Splash. Thunk. Solid ground at last, well, sort of, I was buried in a greenside bunker. (8) Skulled sand wedge to other side of green, went off the other side, about 2 feet from the lake, in an especially shitty uphill lie and in some serious cabbage. (9) 60 degree wedge to 10 feet. (10) Two putt. (12) I ended up with an ugly ass 55 on the front 9, the worst I've shot in about two years. I got my shit together off the tees on the back nine, which put me in some better position to make up lost strokes, but I collapsed on the last two holes, putting one ball in the woods on 8 and two balls in the creek on 9, with some seriously high scores, to end up with a 47. It's been the first time I shot over 100, and I lost about 15 balls today.

To date, I've never gotten better than an 8 on this hole. 9 out of 10 times, a ball find its way into the lake, or into a small creek on the right side opposite the sand traps.

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

[QUOTE=Puttin4Bird;55539]As I was reading Dent's post ( http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6127 ) I got to thinking about a particular hole at my course that for whatever reason just seems to be in my head. The hole isn't even very difficult ( http://www.bakkercrossing.com/Hole11sinfo.htm ) just a 180 yd par 3 from the blue tees.

Man that looks like a biggish green. Wish we had big greens at the course i play.
#13 - Its a 342m dogleg left par 4 from the blue plates. Theres a big lake about 50m from the tee box, you have to carry your ball about 140m on the fly to get over the dam, i rarely hit in the dam, thats not my problem, the green is elevated & is surrounded by bunkers. I am usually hitting a 8-6 iron to the green & 75% of the time i will come up short or pull it left of the green & end up in some very deep rough. I usually bogey it with a chip and 2 putt, its a very hard green if you are beside the hole because the green has a big slope from back to front.

#8 - Its a 464m (short) Par 5 (index 18/30) with a pond infront of the green. I have to par this hole for 2 points the last few times i have played this hole i have snap hooked my ball onto the 11th fairway & end up playing up the 11th fairway. If i end up on the 11th fairway i will hit a 3 or 4 iron up the fairway then a wegde onto the green, but lately i have been pulling my wedge into a hazard & ending up with a 6 or 7.

Hopefully i do well on these holes tommorrow
In my black carry bag
Driver- 909 D2 10.5* 76g Stiff UST Proforce V2
3-Wood 909 F3 14.5* 82g Stiff UST Proforce V2
Hybrid- 585-H 19* 85g Stiff Flex Adilla Proto
Irons- Z-B Forged 3iron-PW Project X 6.0Gap Wedge- Vokey Spin Milled 52|8Sand Wedge- Vokey Spin Milled 56|10Putter- Scotty Cameron...

Note: This thread is 6165 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!