IGNORED

R&A Rules Question & Concern

Golfer6760
Note: This thread is 4273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am new to this forum so, "Hello" everyone.

I've been playing golf for 50+ years and seen many forms of descrimination on the golf course. I applaud Augusta National for coming up to par & allowing women in to their private club. I would think they are the last cub in the USA to get in to the 21st century.

After watching the news media publisize the gender barrier break through, I learned the R&A; @ St Andrews abides by the same gender rules that Augusta National did and does not reconize the female gender? I read through the R&A; rules and they mention the USGA many times, but differ from our gender rules in the USA.

If golf is becoming a global sport, I would think the R&A; and the USGA would get together and make one set of rules for all golfers. Even the PGA has allowed female players compete on tour.

I would assume female golfers wouldn't want to support the R&A;

Thank You

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Golfer6760

I've been playing golf for 50+ years and seen many forms of descrimination on the golf course. I applaud Augusta National for coming up to par & allowing women in to their private club. I would think they are the last cub in the USA to get in to the 21st century.

Augusta National is not the last club to admit women. We have a few threads on this topic, too.

Originally Posted by Golfer6760

After watching the news media publisize the gender barrier break through, I learned the R&A; @ St Andrews abides by the same gender rules that Augusta National did and does not reconize the female gender? I read through the R&A; rules and they mention the USGA many times, but differ from our gender rules in the USA.

If golf is becoming a global sport, I would think the R&A; and the USGA would get together and make one set of rules for all golfers. Even the PGA has allowed female players compete on tour.

I'm not sure I understand. The Rules of Golf (whether they're by the USGA or the R&A;) are the same for men or women. It has nothing to do with "not recognizing" the female gender. They recognize them. They just don't wish to admit them to their clubs, which, depending on your opinion, can be perfectly fine.

But there's just one set of Rules, so there you go.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfer6760

I am new to this forum so, "Hello" everyone.

I would assume female golfers wouldn't want to support the R&A;

Thank You

Perhaps you should do background checks a bit more carefully. Not just about rules.

R&A; is not (anymore) a golf club, it is a ruling body, same as USGA.

The golf club you are talking about is Royal and Ancient Golf Club (of St. Andrews).

Originally Posted by luu5

Perhaps you should do background checks a bit more carefully. Not just about rules.

R&A; is not (anymore) a golf club, it is a ruling body, same as USGA.

The golf club you are talking about is Royal and Ancient Golf Club (of St. Andrews).

Ahhhhhh That answers my question. I stand to be corrected. I thought it was in the R&A; Rules. No wonder I couldn't find it.

Thanks for the help

Note: This thread is 4273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!