Jump to content
IGNORED

Should the captains 'Fix' a Tiger v Rory singles?!


malincanada
 Share

Note: This thread is 3296 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

I understand what people are saying about each captain wanting to make sure they get a point from their best player, but I think it's more complicated than that.

A lot will depend upon the scores going into the singles of course, but let's assume that, like most of the recent contests, Europe are a couple of points ahead - 9 - 7.

Now to regain the cup, the US would need 7.5 out of the 12 points available. A tough task.

Wouldn't it make sense to actually TRY and fit Woods into whatever slot you think Rory will be put in?

It's a gamble for sure, but the point is that Tiger winning 7&6 against, say, Kaymer still only scores you one point against a player that you would expect most of your team to beat.

Tiger beating Rory 1up, however, also gets you that same one point AND you still have someone else out there earning another point against Kaymer.

P.S. Not wanting to be too mean about Kaymer. He may well come good, but at the moment he is probably Europe's weakest player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by malincanada

I understand what people are saying about each captain wanting to make sure they get a point from their best player, but I think it's more complicated than that.

A lot will depend upon the scores going into the singles of course, but let's assume that, like most of the recent contests, Europe are a couple of points ahead - 9 - 7.

Now to regain the cup, the US would need 7.5 out of the 12 points available. A tough task.

Wouldn't it make sense to actually TRY and fit Woods into whatever slot you think Rory will be put in?

It's a gamble for sure, but the point is that Tiger winning 7&6 against, say, Kaymer still only scores you one point against a player that you would expect most of your team to beat.

Tiger beating Rory 1up, however, also gets you that same one point AND you still have someone else out there earning another point against Kaymer.

P.S. Not wanting to be too mean about Kaymer. He may well come good, but at the moment he is probably Europe's weakest player.

This is the type of thinking that will go on, throw in lots of second guessing though. I would imagine that McDowell or Poulter will be last out for Europe.

Kaymer showed some better form last week, but still is the weakest link.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by malincanada

What's the process in the President's Cup? I've had a hunt around on the intertubes and can't find anything about it.

I assume it's different than just each captain giving in his list of 12 names in order?


One captain picks and discloses the player for match 1.  Then the other captain picks a player for mach 1 and a player for match 2.  Then the first captain picks his player for match 2 and a player for match 3.  And so on, leapfrogging so in half the matches each captain gets to pick the guy he wants to have face the guy the other captain chose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by turtleback

One captain picks and discloses the player for match 1.  Then the other captain picks a player for mach 1 and a player for match 2.  Then the first captain picks his player for match 2 and a player for match 3.  And so on, leapfrogging so in half the matches each captain gets to pick the guy he wants to have face the guy the other captain chose.


I see. Very interesting. Must certainly make them think on their feet a lot more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by JetFan1983

If they do get paired together, I'm sure most people would react like this. I know I probably would.

Touch wood the US TV coverage wouldn't be so obsessed with it that we spend 10 minutes watching them chat on a tee instead of watching the other 11 games!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


The odds of it happening are slim.. According to the blind matching.. HOWEVER, since the Ryder Cup is mostly about TV ratings and drama, I wouldn't be surprised if somehow Rory and Tiger get matched mysteriously.. I remember awhile back when David Duval called the Ryder Cup an exhibition match, I think I concur with that.. It's most like some form of ALL-Star TV show, then it is about golfing and winning..

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by ThominOH

The odds of it happening are slim.. According to the blind matching.. HOWEVER, since the Ryder Cup is mostly about TV ratings and drama, I wouldn't be surprised if somehow Rory and Tiger get matched mysteriously.. I remember awhile back when David Duval called the Ryder Cup an exhibition match, I think I concur with that.. It's most like some form of ALL-Star TV show, then it is about golfing and winning..

And this is the attitude that has led to the recent European success.

Ollie and his team will be taking it very very seriously.

The chances of Rory and Tiger playing are reasonable if standard team selection is followed - ie best players first, hide the weaker players in the middle and finish off with a couple of players who can handle the pressure when it gets tough - McDowell & Poulter for the Europeans. Not Hunter for the US.

I suspect Ollie will have no part in fixing the order, he learnt from Seve so will do the opposite of what everyone else wants!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Note: This thread is 3296 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Best 92 ever for me. 2nd time on this course that has many elevation changes and hidden hazards. 6 penalty strokes and never really put anything together. But also hit everything solid. I'll take it any day.
    • Day 13 Full swing iron practice with a 6i, 8i and GW.
    • Obviously, if a person made 100% of them on perfect greens, then on substandard greens they would miss putts. So, it would never benefit them.  Let's say a golfer makes 50% of putts on perfect greens, and on bad greens 50% of putts made were deflected away, and 50% of putts missed were deflected in, then their made % would not change.  I don't know we could assume that the green would cause 50% of the putts to miss for the golfer who made 100% on perfect greens, but it would cause a certain % of their putts to miss.  I would say that it hurts the better putters more and maybe doesn't effect bad putters as much. A horrible putter it may never help 😛. If you're not even close for a deflection. 
    • Day 204.  Several times during football Sunday, I took 5-10 minute breaks to hit a few practice balls.  As always, the focus was on the slow correct swings.  I think several small sessions might be better for me than one extended long session:  I don't always have good discipline as I go past the 15 minute mark, and sometimes I catch myself raking in a ball and hitting it right away;  by contrast, when I consciously start a short session, I'm going to at least set in with what I set to do. 
    • (Written without reading anyone else's replies) I voted the difference would increase.  Here's my line of thinking.  The good putter would have been in or close on the ideal surface;  so while the bumps can keep some out, it can also push some that were going to be close into the cup.  Luck at least has a chance to be at least as beneficial as it is hurtful.  By contrast, the poor putters can't really benefit much from luck -- sure, it might cause a ball to finish closer to the cup, but they aren't missing by two bumps instead of one.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. AmirReza
      AmirReza
      (34 years old)
    2. BushwoodCC
      BushwoodCC
      (55 years old)
    3. cozelos
      cozelos
      (36 years old)
    4. RollingStoppie
      RollingStoppie
      (52 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...