IGNORED

Midpoint Read

Beachcomber
Note: This thread is 4200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Can you guys help clarify how to do the midpoint read for a basic putt like below....

When I use the book to help determine the angle... Do I use straight as the zero line- and if I'm standing at the red 'x'.... Just say that is approximately 45 deg from straight?  So now I know I'm above the hole, take the difference between 60 and 30 and use that number for the 3%... 20' ring + delta of 15' + 20' x 2 to find the 30ft break?

My biggest confusion was on what angle I use?

Also, are there books with 45 angle numbers?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Beachcomber

When I use the book to help determine the angle... Do I use straight as the zero line- and if I'm standing at the red 'x'.... Just say that is approximately 45 deg from straight?  So now I know I'm above the hole, take the difference between 60 and 30 and use that number for the 3%... 20' ring + delta of 15' + 20' x 2 to find the 30ft break?

So did you do your 10, 20, and 30-minute practice sessions? :)

You use the line from your ball to the hole as it crosses straight. So yes, 45° is correctly. Downhill.

Disregard the idea of "zero lines." They're not really used anymore, and "zero lines" technically go through the hole (they're lines which you play straight aim).

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

My biggest confusion was on what angle I use?

Also, are there books with 45 angle numbers?

You got it right.

No 45° books, no. 30/60/90 are about all you need, really. Remember, "fuzzy numbers." :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Haha!  I was going to ask him the same thing!

I'm going to spend my practice sessions in the next few days exclusively on Aimpoint because I am sore from hitting 8,000,000 (that's a rough estimate) balls yesterday.

You use the line from your ball to the hole as it crosses straight. So yes, 45° is correctly. Downhill.

Disregard the idea of "zero lines." They're not really used anymore, and "zero lines" technically go through the hole (they're lines which you play straight aim).

You got it right.

No 45° books, no. 30/60/90 are about all you need, really. Remember, "fuzzy numbers." :)

Thanks for the confirmation.  My practice session was more of 5/5/5 as I hit a few balls (small bucket) on the range before hand, and then ran out of time.  Plus to find the stimp - I used a trick that John Graham posted to Youtube.  Worked pretty well! :D

Just wish I was hitting the ball a little better to give me more looks at legit birds.  Can't wait to get back out and practice my reads.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Haha!  I was going to ask him the same thing!

I'm going to spend my practice sessions in the next few days exclusively on Aimpoint because I am sore from hitting 8,000,000 (that's a rough estimate) balls yesterday.

LOL... I felt the exact same way after the clinic in the Spring.  8hrs of hitting balls is a LONG day.

• Administrator

Plus to find the stimp - I used a trick that John Graham posted to Youtube.  Worked pretty well! :D

I'm not sure I understand... that's exactly how we taught you to find the stimp, except we like you to do it at 10 feet because it's easier to see the difference between a few inches of break than it is between one inch of break. ;D

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm not sure I understand... that's exactly how we taught you to find the stimp, except we like you to do it at 10 feet because it's easier to see the difference between a few inches of break than it is between one inch of break. ;D

Maybe Shawn was dozing off during that part? I liked it because it was basically algebra.  You know all of the other variables, so through trial and error, solve for X.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Maybe Shawn was dozing off during that part?

Must have been. ;) Damn narcolepsy!

The problem is I can't make 10' putts... So I tried the 5' trick! :P

Seriously, I learned so much in a short window - I probably forgot the part about the stimp?? LOL  Overall - an awesome class.  Just a lot for me to grasp at once!!

You got it right.

Would it be against the rules of golf to use my putter to make the line between the ball and the hole - and then step back like a yard - and extend my arms to see the angle better? Hahaha I'm going to look like a damn fool out there trying to get the 'A'.

• Administrator

Would it be against the rules of golf to use my putter to make the line between the ball and the hole - and then step back like a yard - and extend my arms to see the angle better?

You can hold your putter up in the air, but no, don't put it on the ground or whatever if that's what you meant.

And get thyself to JoAnn Fabrics! :)

And get thyself to JoAnn Fabrics! :)

LOL.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but has anybody here ever been given a hard time while practicing putting with a raised string line?  It's not like we're poking giant holes in the green, but I wonder if some courses will give you crap for poking any holes in the green?

• Administrator

Maybe this is a dumb question, but has anybody here ever been given a hard time while practicing putting with a raised string line?  It's not like we're poking giant holes in the green, but I wonder if some courses will give you crap for poking any holes in the green?

Not that I've heard of. It's the same as putting tees in the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got an e-mail from Mark Sweeney about not using the chart when doing the midpoint read per R&A; rules.  I was actually already starting to do this on some putts.  What are others thoughts on this change?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Just got an e-mail from Mark Sweeney about not using the chart when doing the midpoint read per R&A; rules.  I was actually already starting to do this on some putts.  What are others thoughts on this change?

Really?  Then what do you do?  I just took a fundamentals class a couple of weeks ago and that is basically the only way we were taught.  If that wasn't legal, then the system would be useless to me.

You can still do the read the same way.  You just can't use the chart like a protractor at the midpoint.  It is pretty easy to figure out if the slope is 90, 60 or 30.  You can hold your putter up along the putt direction and figure 90, 60 or 30 from that.  After a bit of practice, you don't even need the putter.  USGA has not commented yet, so you can keep using the chart for now.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Originally Posted by boogielicious

You can still do the read the same way.  You just can't use the chart like a protractor at the midpoint.  It is pretty easy to figure out if the slope is 90, 60 or 30.  You can hold your putter up along the putt direction and figure 90, 60 or 30 from that.  After a bit of practice, you don't even need the putter.  USGA has not commented yet, so you can keep using the chart for now.

Oh, oh, oh ... sorry.  I thought you meant you can't read the numbers off the chart.  I was thinking about the term "midpoint read" in the sense of the whole process, not just the angle.

I realize now that you are only talking about using the chart to find the angle to straight at the midpoint.  Phew.  That's not so bad.  I wasn't doing that anyway, I have been either guesstimating, or using my putter.

Here is Mark's statement:

Quote:
The R&A; has issued a decision on AimCharts which states that using them during a stipulated round does NOT violate Rule 14-3 (Artificial Devices and Unusual Equipment) provided that the AimChart is not used as a physical reference for gauging angle. This means that in R&A; governed rounds you cannot use the AimChart at the MidPoint to pick the angle, you will have to visually pick the angle based on how it intersects your body, then move away from the MidPoint before looking up the break on the AimChart. The USGA has not commented on this decision, but to be safe we recommend that anyone playing USGA-governed rounds follow the same process. Other corollary rules are Rule 6-7 (you must play without undue delay); and 16-1a (player cannot stand on or touch the line of the putt).

If you have any questions about this ruling, please contact your Certified Instructor for more information.
  • Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 4200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!