IGNORED

80 yarder- How would you play this one?

MEfree
Note: This thread is 4242 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Nothing to add other than I was supposed to be up there this week playing the KR courses and that I hate my 60* wedge from anything but a tight lie. Tough for me to control the distance. Any grass longer than the fairway and there's a 50/50 change the blade will slide under the ball, pop it up and leave it short. Consequently I play a lot of bump and run with my 52*. This is the second reminder I missed out on playing those awesome courses. Last night they featured KR on Altitude Golf.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

FWIW Google Earth lists the entire fairway (including well back of where I put the pin) at 9127 feet.

The "Green" pin is 9144. The back of the green is 9158. The highest number I can get the thing to read - way right of the cart path and off in the scrubby area - is 9180.

The 16th at Whispering Woods is pretty steep and it goes from 918 to 945 or so.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en≪=42.041517,-80.149374&spn;=0.000802,0.001407&t;=h&z;=20

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

FWIW Google Earth lists the entire fairway (including well back of where I put the pin) at 9127 feet.

The "Green" pin is 9144. The back of the green is 9158. The highest number I can get the thing to read - way right of the cart path and off in the scrubby area - is 9180.

The 16th at Whispering Woods is pretty steep and it goes from 918 to 945 or so.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en≪=42.041517,-80.149374&spn;=0.000802,0.001407&t;=h&z;=20

thanks for that...do you know how they calculate it and how accurate it is suppose to be?  What surprises me is that they are showing about the same elevation change from the middle to the back of the green as they are showing from the middle to front and actually show LESS gain from the bottom of the hill leading up to the green.  I think the back half of the green is much flatter than the false front and the hill leading up seems steeper than either.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Originally Posted by MEfree

thanks for that...do you know how they calculate it and how accurate it is suppose to be?  What surprises me is that they are showing about the same elevation change from the middle to the back of the green as they are showing from the middle to front and actually show LESS gain from the bottom of the hill leading up to the green.  I think the back half of the green is much flatter than the false front and the hill leading up seems steeper than either.

Also, I only see about a 1 foot elevation change from clicking on my driveway to clicking on the roof of our 3 story townhouse...how do they take out buildings?

all jokes aside with the wind behind I would hit a club that at maximum with the wind would not fly over the green, with the wind behind it helps to make a more full swing so you can get some spin on the ball and stop it on the green. Im not saying swing harder than normal because that's counterproductive but try to get a more full swing so you get through the rough and can stop the ball after one or two bounces on the green. long and on the green is okay because you should be putting back into the wind. If you come up short and there's a big drop off you might have to get it up high fast and with the wind still behind you the ball wont stop as easily.

What did you do from in front of the green after coming up short on the shot you described in the post?

Originally Posted by tecnicaskates

What did you do from in front of the green after coming up short on the shot you described in the post?

hit a somewhat low shot that didn`t roll out far enough and found it back at my feet again...then went with a high flopper that I thought was too long, but was only about 10 feet + 2 putts = 6

Playing around with google maps elevation, it seems to be a good approximation, but not always 100% accurate.  As an example, what do you think the elevation gain is of this hillside (which now has a retaining wall?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=frisco+co≪=39.574595,-106.091932&spn;=0.000909,0.002064&hnear;=Frisco,+Summit,+Colorado≷=us&t;=h&z;=20&layer;=c&cbll;=39.574494,-106.091971&panoid;=zEsLby_XRHis7zoPEGeE5Q&cbp;=12,269.36,,1,3.64

Google seems to say only a few feet which can`t be right.

• Administrator

Playing around with google maps elevation, it seems to be a good approximation, but not always 100% accurate.  As an example, what do you think the elevation gain is of this hillside (which now has a retaining wall?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=frisco+co≪=39.574595,-106.091932&spn;=0.000909,0.002064&hnear;=Frisco,+Summit,+Colorado≷=us&t;=h&z;=20&layer;=c&cbll;=39.574494,-106.091971&panoid;=zEsLby_XRHis7zoPEGeE5Q&cbp;=12,269.36,,1,3.64

Google seems to say only a few feet which can`t be right.

I don't think man-made things count (like your house or that wall of dirt, which isn't "geological").

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't think man-made things count (like your house or that wall of dirt, which isn't "geological").

Not counting the house makes sense, but the "wall of dirt" was a natural hill before it was made into a retaining wall...when I looked at elevation, I clicked on a spot to the southwest of the wall that is still in its natural state and then a spot on the street to the northeast that is much lower now and I suspect was much lower before the road was put in.

As far as golf courses go, they move a lot of dirt around in some cases when they construct the course similar to how they moved dirt around when they built the retaining wall and road...if you are saying that google uses the naturally occurring geological elevations, then they could be quite a bit off, couldn`t they?

• Administrator

OT

How Google Maps determines elevation is not really the topic at hand. I'm just pointing out that 90 feet is ridiculous, and 40-60 is probably still not even close.

How Google Maps determines elevation is not really the topic at hand. I'm just pointing out that 90 feet is ridiculous, and 40-60 is probably still not even close.

You might be right about that, but I don`t think that Google Earth can be relied upon to determine elevation changes on golf courses...I just found this http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/earth/3Th8MuHzKtE

I beleive for many areas Google Earth uses SRTM data, which offers something like 30m vertical accuracy, at 90m horizontal grid spacing...

For the benefit of other readers, there is an excellent document on precision of SRTM data at the following link: http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/ version2_1/Documentation/MIL- PDF-89020B.pdf .  You are right in saying that we should look at elevation accuracy in Google Earth in the range of +/- 30 m.  One interesting thing I noticed however is that Google Earth appears to apply an average of many sampled points in order to smooth the data in the horizontal plane (make the terrain look more flat).

• Administrator

I guess my last post wasn't clear enough... back to the topic. :) New posters, assume that it's a 30-foot elevation change, not 90.

Note: This thread is 4242 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!