IGNORED

NFL QB’s Talkin’ On Facebook

zipazoid
Note: This thread is 4157 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Go figure ... They actually won! The chiefs have to be horrendous to make my chargers look that good! Bonus goodness ... The chargers def/st is on my fantasy team!!

Chiefs are the worst team in the league. Which makes sense since they have the worst coach in the league.

Look for some Philip Rivers smak in next week's edition!

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Chiefs are the worst team in the league. Which makes sense since they have the worst coach in the league.

Look for some Philip Rivers smak in next week's edition!

I get that, for the most part, college coaches making the jump to the pros rarely work out well so it makes sense that owners are hesitant to go that route.  But why do they have to just keep recycling the old coaches who have already proven that they clearly suck?  Crennel and Turner are probably the two best examples.  I'm almost shocked nobody has given Art Shell another shot.

And then there are those horrible horrible (sarcasm) coaches like Marty Schottenheimer who have proven time and again that they can win, and nobody wants to give them another chance.  WTF?  (And the idiot Whale's Vagina owners go so far as to fire him after a 14-2 season!)  I just don't get it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Funny you mention Marty. A lot of Browns fans, myself included, would love to see him come back to Cleveland, where he got his first head coaching gig.

I don't blame any of you ... I would love to have him back in SD too!  We made me curious so I looked up his stats.

Career record (NFL):  203-127-1 ... .606 winning %

5 seasons in CLE: 44-27, .620, ZERO losing seasons, 3 division championships

10 seasons in KC: 101-58, .635, ONE losing season, 3 division championships

1 season in WAS: 8-8, 2nd place finish

5 season in SD: 47-33, .588, ONE losing season, 2 division championships  (fired after 14-2 season)

Wow!  SOMEBODY should have him as their head coach.

Romeo is a great defensive coach, and I really like the guy, but I agree he is not a good head coach.  I selfishly want him to get fired so we can get him back on the Pats defense.

As for Marty and Art Shell, I was equally as baffled that they didn't get another gig.  Two quality head coaches.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I don't blame any of you ... I would love to have him back in SD too!  We made me curious so I looked up his stats.

Career record (NFL):  203-127-1 ... .606 winning %

5 seasons in CLE: 44-27, .620, ZERO losing seasons, 3 division championships

10 seasons in KC: 101-58, .635, ONE losing season, 3 division championships

1 season in WAS: 8-8, 2nd place finish

5 season in SD: 47-33, .588, ONE losing season, 2 division championships  (fired after 14-2 season)

Wow!  SOMEBODY should have him as their head coach.

I forget the reason exactly... But the reason from what I recall why Marty isn't coaching is because he wanted a 'Czar' title similar to Holmgren - but also coach.  It was discussed several years back.  That plus the fact that he is getting up there in age.

The reason he was let go from SD is because they felt they had the team to win the Super Bowl - now.  And Marty's record - while impressive was something that also held him back.  People felt he couldn't get to the big dance.  And in the NFL - not for long - your window of opportunity is slim.  So the SD ownership pulled the plug on Martyball.  Was it the right move?  Hind sight is 20/20.

I'm surprised they have given Norv the length of a leash that he has had though...

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Romeo is a great defensive coach, and I really like the guy, but I agree he is not a good head coach.  I selfishly want him to get fired so we can get him back on the Pats defense.

As for Marty and Art Shell, I was equally as baffled that they didn't get another gig.  Two quality head coaches.

Romeo Crennel is a guy that players like to play for.  Because he is a nice guy.  I don't think he is a great coach.  In fact, I think he is a poor coach that was placed in the perfect system under a mastermind of a head coach... On a team - that played as a team - and won as a team.  Crennel should be an assistant coach as best.  He is terrible.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Romeo Crennel is a guy that players like to play for.  Because he is a nice guy.  I don't think he is a great coach.  In fact, I think he is a poor coach that was placed in the perfect system under a mastermind of a head coach... On a team - that played as a team - and won as a team.  Crennel should be an assistant coach as best.  He is terrible.

He got credit for the defense in New England that won a Super Bowl. Never mind the fact that thehead coach was Bill Belichick, who is a defensive mastermind. That was Belichick's defense. Crennel was just the caretaker. Want proof? Pull op the defensive rankings of the Browns & Chiefs teams he's been head coach of.

Yeah, nice guy. They finish last.

I forget the reason exactly... But the reason from what I recall why Marty isn't coaching is because he wanted a 'Czar' title similar to Holmgren - but also coach.  It was discussed several years back.  That plus the fact that he is getting up there in age.

The reason he was let go from SD is because they felt they had the team to win the Super Bowl - now.  And Marty's record - while impressive was something that also held him back.  People felt he couldn't get to the big dance.  And in the NFL - not for long - your window of opportunity is slim.  So the SD ownership pulled the plug on Martyball.  Was it the right move?  Hind sight is 20/20.

I'm surprised they have given Norv the length of a leash that he has had though...

You're absolutely right.  He couldn't win in the playoffs so they fired him.  But that last sentence is what makes it so hard to swallow.  Norv's not winning any super bowls either, and he's not even close to as good of a coach, so why's he still around?  (I think he fits into that genius offensive coordinator category pretty well though)

You're absolutely right.  He couldn't win in the playoffs so they fired him.  But that last sentence is what makes it so hard to swallow.  Norv's not winning any super bowls either, and he's not even close to as good of a coach, so why's he still around?  (I think he fits into that genius offensive coordinator category pretty well though)

The only thing I can think is that Marty wasn't a 'yes, Sir' type of guy?  I have no idea?  But typically very senior level executives like to have smoke blown up their ass and kissed.  I'm sure Marty wasn't that type of guy?  Perhaps Norv is?? I have no idea...

The only thing I can think is that Marty wasn't a 'yes, Sir' type of guy?  I have no idea?  But typically very senior level executives like to have smoke blown up their ass and kissed.  I'm sure Marty wasn't that type of guy?  Perhaps Norv is?? I have no idea...

Marty has a 'Stubborn Dutchman' streak to him. Modell fired him in Cleveland after the 1988 season cuz Marty wouldn't hire an offensive coordinator. Never mind the fact the Browns had made the playoffs the last 4 seasons in a row & 2 AFC Championships - Modell (who should never be confused with a competent person) said 'Hire an OC'. Marty basically said 'F U'.

Agree with Crennel not being a good head coach.  But KC had a very good defense when he was just the DC.  He is also a very good position coach.  Head Coach is a completely different skill.

Scott

My Swing Thread

http://profootballmock.com/nfl-qbs-on-facebook-mvp/

This week's installment!

Awesome.  Poor Tony Romo.  Also enjoy the Roethlisberger explaining jokes thing.

Good start to the day.

Some of the humor is nuanced too. Didja notice under Rogers' initial post it said 'State Farm Insurance likes this'...?

Ha!  No I did not notice that.

Discount double check, baby!

• 1 month later...

Excellent again!

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 4157 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!