IGNORED

Big Breaker Liam Friedman answers your questions!

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Liam,

I love the Big Break and it was it amazing seeing someone -- who more or less believes the same core concepts about the golf swing that I do -- compete on the show. Your experience kind of reminded me of Matt Every's. Tons of talent, but an unfortunate early exit.

What was it like when you first worked with Mario B? Were you already using a centered pivot and a one plane swing? Or was this a big change for you. What were the biggest changes for you with Mario?

How long have you worked with Mario and do you guys still work together?

What are you currently working on in your swing?

Thanks so much for fielding some of our questions BTW.

First off, GO BILLS!! Meghan Hardin from Atlantis is a Jets Fan FYI.

Mario and I first officialy worked October 2010, but we were friends for a couple years and exchanged ideas.  Mario will be able to explain, using proper 5SK and TGM terminology what we worked on, but in layman's terms, our first hurdle was hand path, and exiting left.  My clubface closure rate was obscene, and I relied heavily on timing.  So, we worked on controlling the clubface closure by maintaining my spine angle I set at address (still progessing).   The other huge thing we worked on was getting my right arm more connected on the backswing.  I have some real early videos back to '07 on youtube, and some on mario's page.  I am irishfight4it on there, and Mario is golfrealitybymario

Mario and I lived together all winter last year, so we worked alot.  My game was great over the winter.  I was putting up good numbers, hindered by one double per round.  I should have won two events on golfslinger.com tour, I 5-putted (yes 5) the first hole at jacaranda and shot 71, lost by 2, and made a double from 138 at abacoa and missed playoff by 2.

I will be going to see Mario in November, and periodically in the winter, hopefully he is nearby.

Currently I am trying to keep my right foot down longer to give my hands space to swing down and around, not away, so I can keep grooving the power fade.  Also, Mario and I talk Aimpoint alot.  Although I am certainly not even close to certified instructor, nor can I read that book, he helps me to read greens by understanding zeroes and initial starting lines, because the ball is ALWAYS breaking

• Upvote 3

Liam Friedman
PGA Assistant Golf Professional
Trying to make the TOUR
Contestant on Big Break: Greenbrier

Originally Posted by wadesworld

Not sure if you saw it, but I've always been curious about how they clean up all that glass to the course's satisfaction?

The clean up the glass with gloved hands, shovels, and garbage cans.  It takes about 10 minutes to clean up, put new one in, and have the next player ready.

Liam Friedman
Trying to make the TOUR

Liam,

Thank you for answering my questions! We Bills and Jets fans have had a pretty tough go of it

You mentioned Aimpoint. I've enjoyed learning it, but even more so enjoyed being introduced to David Edel, a master fitter of putters, wedges, and irons. Have you looked into this aspect of putting yet? I was somewhat surprised that you were not using an Edel putter on the show, based on his relationship with Aimpoint.

And I rarely if ever talk up equipment to anyone, but since no Edel putter is ever created the same way again, I felt compelled to mention it. Your stroke looked really good to me on the show, which is why I was wondering if giving his putter fitting system a try was something you had given some thought to.

Thanks again!

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Hoganwoods

Hey Liam,

How much does Golfchannel edit the interviews to create "bad guys" and "good guys"?

Second, how difficult was it to play the elimination challenge?  I don't want to use the word "choke", but how much do you think the pressure got to you.

Thanks

Golfchannel doesn't edit to create bad guys and good guys.  If someone is bad or good, they are that way.  They edit, and can contextually make contestants seem to attack another, or seem arrogant, but, at least for me, the context for the rest of the interview would tell a better story.  I was careful to not get trapped into saying juicy cuts that could make me seem bad, because it is my nature to just tell it like it is.  But, still, they got some stuff.

I was SO exhausted playing in the elimination.  It was tough only because we had never hit shots on those holes, because it was the Meadows course.  I wouldn't call it a choke, but I think I gave it away.  I had a simple up and down on the first hole, which I hit maybe 5 feet past, but I drastically under-read the break, and with the extra speed it carried down the hill.  The second hole, that putt I hit was definitely nerves.  I couldnt get myself to focus on what i HAD to do.  My mind was racing with what could happen if I made/miss.  That's something I always work on, and continue to do so.  Finally, the last hole I hit a pull draw when I intended to cut it off the tee.  In hindsight, my clubface was getting closed and it took me until september to correct.  My approach I pulled maybe a foot and the ball didnt get up like I wanted, so it clipped a tree and didnt make the green.

As for the pressure, it affected me for sure.  Not just in the elimination, but the other challenges as well.  Not terribly, but enough to affect my shots.  It's great to learn on that stage under the gun though.

Thanks for the question

Liam Friedman
Trying to make the TOUR

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

"Safe City?"  Is that like the benches you guys sit on and root for the guys playing?

Also, about the taping ... I'm curious about how long it takes while you are playing.  For example, the elimination match between you and Chan.  Is everything set up on all 3 holes such that you just play golf?  Or, after your drives, is there a lot of down time while you have to wait anxiously for them to be ready for you to play again?

And are all of your golf carts equipped with cameras and your directed to talk to them all the time while you're driving to your balls?

How much do you think all of the show production interferes with your golf routine?

Thanks again for coming on here and answering all of these questions!

Safe City is the benches where you sit on camera when you aren't competing.

It takes A LONG time to do these shoots.  The final match, twosome, match play, took 5 hours.  The cameras have to be repositioned before every shot.  It took me out of my rythym a little because I play really fast.  Before my approach into the final hole, I had to wait for the DTL camera guys to run across the fairway after Chan's shot landed.

We actually talk to the cameramen/sound guys who are riding in the carts with us.  They are the ones who take the FO and DTL shots.

The show production didnt flow with my routine because I play fast, and I am antsy.  It actually served me to hurry through my routine (mind you this is in hindsight), because I had been thrown out of my rythym to begin with.  But by no means, am I blaming this or using this as an excuse.

Thanks for asking!

Liam Friedman
Trying to make the TOUR

I just wanted to thank you for coming here, answering the questions and giving us insight into the show. Very cool.

Good luck in your future ventures.

Originally Posted by Artimas

I just wanted to thank you for coming here, answering the questions and giving us insight into the show. Very cool.

Agreed. Thanks so much for taking the time.

Constantine

Originally Posted by Datsyuk

1.) If you'd had a caddy, would you have done anything different? Would you still have pulled a lob wedge on the par 5?

2.) The TV show made it seem like you really need to work on the mental side of the game, but they can edit it however they want. I doubt you come off as a hobbit IRL and you did very well to not wrap your putter around Cam's neck on the second hole. How long did he really take on that hole?

3.) What was the real yardage on the par 5? You had ~ 175 from the trees and Cam's approach from the right rough seemed short too. Just basing my doubts (505) on the distances in the draw / fade challenge.

1) I would have done things differently, just staying in my routine basically.  My caddy may have been able to talk me into chipping with a hybrid or something, too.  What you couldnt see on that shot was that there was a false front I wanted to carry, and it is DRASTICALLY uphill.  Here's my thought process: 1) I struggle putting uphill , so that's out 2) My adrenaline is flowing, if I hit a flat face club I might smash it 3) I want to be able to hit it hard, so as not to flub it.

I didnt flub the chip, just didnt hit it hard enough and it hit into the false front.

2) My mental game has gotten alot better all through college and to this day.  I was upset because the demand for a quality shot is so high in the elimination challenge.  And, Thruthfully, with the shots I hit, I still should have been -3 on those three holes.  The steam came from me knowing I throw shots away time and time again, and I need to get out playing to learn how to score again.

I actually work with Gary and Greg from INDARE golf on the mental game.  I need to talk with them more regularly, but they have helped me understand how my subconscious works.  Case in point, I really got my mind together to hit my approach into the second elim hole, knowing that it would really throw Chan off.

Chan took his sweet time, over every shot.  He asked the rules official on the first tee if there was a time limit.  So, he did his routine, backed off, checked where I was, checked his yardage book, threw grass... it was slow.  Not sure exactly how slow.

3) Finally, the last par 5 was about 505??  So I hit it about 330, and Chan had 200? so maybe he hit it 300 off the tee.  I carry the driver 290, with clubhead speed of 115+.  The wall challenge was straight into a headwind.

Thanks for the question!

Liam Friedman
Trying to make the TOUR

Liam,

Thank you for answering my questions! We Bills and Jets fans have had a pretty tough go of it

You mentioned Aimpoint. I've enjoyed learning it, but even more so enjoyed being introduced to David Edel, a master fitter of putters, wedges, and irons. Have you looked into this aspect of putting yet? I was somewhat surprised that you were not using an Edel putter on the show, based on his relationship with Aimpoint.

And I rarely if ever talk up equipment to anyone, but since no Edel putter is ever created the same way again, I felt compelled to mention it. Your stroke looked really good to me on the show, which is why I was wondering if giving his putter fitting system a try was something you had given some thought to.

Thanks again!

My Edel got Benched the week prior!! haha.

I am probably going to get fit, again, by Dave at Golf Evolution before I go down to Florida.  I love the one I have, but it was a quick fit.

Liam Friedman
Trying to make the TOUR

Liam, I have a few other questions...

1.) What size are you? Height / Weight?

2.) What do you attribute your SS to?  115mph isn't a slouch... The PGA average I believe is between 109 and 112mph.

3.) What type of physical training do you do?  Any gym work?

Originally Posted by MonarchGolf2010

Quote:

Liam,

Thanks again!

I am probably going to get fit, again, by Dave at Golf Evolution before I go down to Florida.  I love the one I have, but it was a quick fit.

Haha! That's too bad. Thanks for the reply

Constantine

I don't know if I would trust Dave if I was you.  He's an Eagles fan for crying out loud ... and from the Pittsburgh area.  Watch out for him!

Also reiterate what others said up above about your taking the time to answer our questions.  Thanks!

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Liam, I have a few other questions...

1.) What size are you? Height / Weight?

2.) What do you attribute your SS to?  115mph isn't a slouch... The PGA average I believe is between 109 and 112mph.

3.) What type of physical training do you do?  Any gym work?

I'm 5'8" about 150lbs.

My swing speed is totally from mechanics.  Well, freshman year in HS i was told I didnt hit it far enough, so I learned to hit it farther.  Then, with refined mechanics, and being on plane, I can swing the club as fast as I want.

Gym work?? I don't do any, now.  But, I will be starting a regimen in the winter.  Probably not much lifting, but cardio.  Lifting will come when I start playing full time.

Liam Friedman
Trying to make the TOUR

Originally Posted by Artimas

Thank You

It's my pleasure.  I enjoy the banter and discussion in these forums.  I'm glad I can be of some help.

I'm actually excited to here what Mario has to say to answer the questions as well!

Liam Friedman
Trying to make the TOUR

Thanks for the time Liam.  Best of luck and very nice swing!

In my bag

Driver:      SLDR 10.5*

Hybrids:   Taylormade RBZ Stage 2

Irons:       NikeVR PRO 4-PW

Wedges:   Nike VR Pro 50* 54* 58*

Putter:      2014 Newport 2

Ball:          E6

I'm 5'8" about 150lbs.

My swing speed is totally from mechanics.  Well, freshman year in HS i was told I didnt hit it far enough, so I learned to hit it farther.  Then, with refined mechanics, and being on plane, I can swing the club as fast as I want.

Gym work?? I don't do any, now.  But, I will be starting a regimen in the winter.  Probably not much lifting, but cardio.  Lifting will come when I start playing full time.

Dude... You are a beast swinging that fast with your size. You're an inspiration because I'm a small guy too.  5'9" and 150lbs.

Here is my channel on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/squeekalot/videos?flow=grid&view;=0

Notice my user name is Squeekalot.  That was my nickname in High school and College.  I was always the smallest kid. LOL

Note: This thread is 4116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!