IGNORED

Big Breaker Liam Friedman answers your questions!

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4138 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by jd924

Who did you think had the best fundamentally sound swing on the show? Besides yourself of course

I'm a fan of short, compact swings... So I think James's action is awesome.  Mark has a great swing too.  Those two are probably the best IMO.  Ray and Rick can really play, but there swings, fundamentally, I think are more off from "ideal"  but they would be next.

Liam Friedman
PGA Assistant Golf Professional
Trying to make the TOUR
Contestant on Big Break: Greenbrier

Originally Posted by jd924

Who do you like to look at on tour to model your game after? Swing wise I guess.

I don't really model my game after anyone's.  But if I had to put together a super golfer, I would putt like Badds, tempo like Rory, wedge it like Stricker, and hit it like Tiger/Sergio

If anything ever goes wrong in my game, I look to those good examples

Liam Friedman
Trying to make the TOUR

Originally Posted by abcdefgolf

I have a question for both of you. In regards to 2013, what are your plans? Such as more mini tours, q-school, moving etc

Well its a bit frosty up here in Buffalo to stay through the winter, so I will be moving to FL early November.  I will be making a pit stop to put some hours in with Mario in Colts Neck on my way.  So, we will probably touch up the long game, and put some serious grind hours into the short game.  Mario is REALLY good with the short game, but its so fun to learn how to hit far and straight, that we haven't put as many hours as I need to in that regard.

I will be playing the pga tournament series  and winter championships for PGA members in Port St. Lucie this winter.  I will also throw in some golfslinger.com mini tour events when I can.

In regards to 2013, I have a plan together, and am currently raising capital for 2013-2015 to pursue the TOUR.  My plan begins with the Egolf tour, and grows from there.

Thanks for the question!

Liam Friedman
Trying to make the TOUR

Originally Posted by MonarchGolf2010

So, we will probably touch up the long game, and put some serious grind hours into the short game.  Mario is REALLY good with the short game, but its so fun to learn how to hit far and straight, that we haven't put as many hours as I need to in that regard.

What is your approach to the short game? This an awkward way to classify it, sorry, but is it more Dave Pelz or Stan Utley or something of your own/Mario B? Do you use Aimpoint and if so, how has it worked for you? Thanks.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by nevets88

What is your approach to the short game? This an awkward way to classify it, sorry, but is it more Dave Pelz or Stan Utley or something of your own/Mario B? Do you use Aimpoint and if so, how has it worked for you? Thanks.

Well, that's a good question, hopefully we can get Mario to answer it from his perspective.  But, in my perspective, its basically a small full swing.  Mario has what is called "5 windows" for short game, which are 5 different shots to play, all using the same motion, but varying clubface, ball position, stance, and release to vary trajectories and roll out.

Check it out here!

I don't use Aimpoint per say, but Mario helps me with my green reading to understand initial direction, break, and speed.  The info that Mario gives me on this topic has really helped with my 5-20 foot putts with slight to moderate break.  I have certainly become more confiden in my line, and conscious of speed.

Hope this helps!

Liam Friedman
Trying to make the TOUR

Well, that's a good question, hopefully we can get Mario to answer it from his perspective.  But, in my perspective, its basically a small full swing.  Mario has what is called "5 windows" for short game, which are 5 different shots to play, all using the same motion, but varying clubface, ball position, stance, and release to vary trajectories and roll out.

Check it out here!

Yeah really nice demonstration.  Mario helped me understand these windows as well.  Dave and Erik taught me how to use bounce effectively.  Here's my thread on hitting different trajectories.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/54556/short-gametrajectories

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awesome! Thanks! Also, how do you mentally prepare yourself before a golf match? Is the first tee shot crucial to you? For example, if the first hole goes not so good, does that disrupt the flow of the rest of the holes?

Originally Posted by abcdefgolf

Awesome! Thanks! Also, how do you mentally prepare yourself before a golf match? Is the first tee shot crucial to you? For example, if the first hole goes not so good, does that disrupt the flow of the rest of the holes?

For me, I just treat every round of golf, tournament or casual, the same.  I just try to be nice and loose, physically and mentally, and not think about the overall body of work at hand.  Golf is a series of individual swings/shots, and at some point, you have hit each shot you will play perfectly.  So, I just try to be sure to be ready to devote myself to paying attention to just the shot at hand.

As for the 1st hole, I actually, historically (at least this summer), tend to start sluggishly.  2, 3, 4 over par after the first few holes, and then I have to claw back.  I always think to Bobby Jones Stroke of Genius, when Walter Hagen says "if I bogey the first 3 holes, I just assume I have used up my quota for the day, and keep playing."  So, good or bad, anytime I have a streak in a round, I try to maintain my focus on the next shot.

Hope that helps!

Liam Friedman
Trying to make the TOUR

In regards to the short game. I don't care which "method" you employ; you are trying to control three basic elements: the carry distance, trajectory, and spin. I prefer to use a "window" system because they affect all of the three main elements immediately when you jump from window to window. As far as working to specifics in between windows and altering spin direction once it hits the green......thats another topic;)

Check it out here!

I don't use Aimpoint per say, but Mario helps me with my green reading to understand initial direction, break, and speed.  The info that Mario gives me on this topic has really helped with my 5-20 foot putts with slight to moderate break.  I have certainly become more confiden in my line, and conscious of speed.

Hope this helps!

Did you almost TC Chen that last chip?

• 1 month later...

1. Was the big break more nerve wracking than any tourney you've ever played in?

2. Did Anthony know a producer or something to get on that show? I don't even think he's a single digit handicap. Definitely the worst Big Break contestant ever.

Note: This thread is 4138 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!