IGNORED

Utility Woods?

Note: This thread is 6932 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey, im looking for a club to go in between my 3 iron and 3 wood. I hit my 3 iron around 210+- and my 3 wood goes around 250-260. Would it be best for me to get a 5 wood or go for a utility club of some sort. I know where I can get a good deal on a mizuno 21* utility wood, but the prob is my 3 iron is also 21* so I dont think that will work. My question is what would work better? I like hitting irons a whole lot better than woods so if I could get the distance with a utility club I would like to go down that road. What do you all use to fit the gap in between your irons and woods??

Thx, Brad

I use a 3 iron hybrid club. I love it. I suck at hitting my long irons so that utility does me good. You might want to get one of these. I know if i have to hit a long or general iron shot i will reach for the utility.

Mike Fisher
email me PGAfan790@aol.com

Hey, im looking for a club to go in between my 3 iron and 3 wood. I hit my 3 iron around 210+- and my 3 wood goes around 250-260. Would it be best for me to get a 5 wood or go for a utility club of some sort. I know where I can get a good deal on a mizuno 21* utility wood, but the prob is my 3 iron is also 21* so I dont think that will work. My question is what would work better? I like hitting irons a whole lot better than woods so if I could get the distance with a utility club I would like to go down that road. What do you all use to fit the gap in between your irons and woods??

I picked up a 7 wood last fall and love it. I hit it approx. 180. With the height of the ball when I hit it good it just drops on the green real nice, very little roll. This along with my 5 wood has taken that 3 & 4 irons that I had a real tough time with out of my bag.

I struggled with the same questions at the beginning of the season...what to get to fill the gap between 3i and 3w?

Since I play a 15 deg 3w, I opted for a 19deg Titleist 503h. Titlest recommends the set up and it's worked well for me.

My apologies for being a shameless Titleist guy...

What's in My Bag?

Driver: Taylor Made 510TP 8.5 w/proto Aldila NV 65X
Wood: PT 15 bore thru, X100
Hybrid: 503H, 19 deg, S300Irons: 680, 3-PW, Freq. Matched X100Wedges: Black Nickel Vokey 54.10, 60.08Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Oil CanBall: ProV1x

• Administrator
I struggled with the same questions at the beginning of the season...what to get to fill the gap between 3i and 3w?

I second this. That's exactly my setup, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play a 14' 3 wood and have just got a Nakashima 19' hybrid/rescue/ what ever the hell you call them club. Its great, the only hybrid that I didn't hook the crap out of. I've also got a Cally Steelhead 7 wood lying around somewhere. These are great as well but your only allowed 14 in the bag so something had to give

19 degree (Taylor-Made) rescue for me too,for that gap between 3 wood and 3 iron.

Great tools.....

10.5 deg Titleist 905T.S-flex Graph-design purple ice.
TaylorMade 200 3wood.S-flex Graph-design purple ice.
19 deg Taylormade rescue-mid with 6.0 Rifle flighted.
Callaway 3-PW X-16 Pro series with 6.0 Rifle flighted.
Cleveland 56+60RTG/Custom 34" Yes! Sophia/Pro-V1syershulver1@msn.co.uk

Cool... yea thats what I was thinking, but I was not sure if the rescue clubs were meant to replace longer irons or merely to supplement them. Thanks for the advice everyone!

I use a TM Mid 19* and 21*. My 3W is a 15*. My 3 iron either comes or goes depending if I play my 13.5* 3 W or not. It depends upon the whether and course conditions as well. The hybrids tend to get up in the air more so on windy days I will play the irons more.

Golfwrx.com

I use a TM Mid 19* and 21*. My 3W is a 15*. My 3 iron either comes or goes depending if I play my 13.5* 3 W or not. It depends upon the whether and course conditions as well. The hybrids tend to get up in the air more so on windy days I will play the irons more.

My choice was the Hogan 19. It goes farther than a 3i and less than a 3w, but flies as high as a 6 iron.

I demoed the sonar tec utility clubs and they are super easy to hit as well.

Note: This thread is 6932 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!