IGNORED

Traveling with golf clubs?

Warik
Note: This thread is 6146 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've never traveled with my clubs before, so I'm a little concerned about flying them down to the Dominican Republic next week. I'm going on vacation to a resort with nearby golf and would like to play 2-3 rounds while I'm down there. Any tips for flying with clubs that may help me avoid headaches at the airport and/or ensure that my clubs survive the trip? I don't have a hard shell travel case. I have a "Tour Collection Gold Edition" Wheeled Travel Cover that has a padded top section, but that's about it. Should I leave the driver behind? I'd hate to unzip the bag and find the head snapped off because the baggage people piled stuff on top of it.

Am I just being a worrywart?

Driver: SasQuatch 10.5°, Stiff Flex
Woods: Grand Slam 3-wood & 5-wood
Irons: TPS 7.0 3I-PW
Wedges: 56° sand wedge & 60° lob wedge
Putter: White Hot #6

I think if your driver is broken, im sure the airline would pay for it, its their responsibility to ensure your luggage is carried without harm. But then thats another hassle. Maybe if you plan on going on more trips it would be a good idea to invest in a hard travel case, or bite the bullet and take a risk with the one you have now.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I think if your driver is broken, im sure the airline would pay for it, its their responsibility to ensure your luggage is carried without harm. But then thats another hassle.

They're going to make me sign a limited liability waiver because it's not a hard shell case. That doesn't mean they're going to go out of their way to destroy my clubs, but it does mean I'm up the creek if it happens.

Maybe if you plan on going on more trips it would be a good idea to invest in a hard travel case, or bite the bullet and take a risk with the one you have now.

Yeah I got the travel bag because this is only for this trip. Don't have any out of state golf adventures planned for the near future. Hoping some of you have traveled with a travel bag before and can assure me that I'm wasting my time by worrying.

• Administrator
Get a broomstick and put it in the bag. It should fit, and it's a tiny bit longer than your driver. It'll help.

Wrap a towel (or a few towels, or shirts, or something) around all the shafts. Put iron headcovers on if you have them (I bought them and use them for travel only) - the cheapie $9 set from Dick's is fine.

Good luck.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well on my recent trip to pebble beach i also didnt have a hard case and there isnt much you can do to aviod the hassles of the air port. just remember that the golf cases are always last on the carrosel.

Driver:907 D2
Woods:None.... to many clubs
Hybrids: Hibore 2i
Irons:nike forged blades (someones as tiger)
Wedges: 52 x-tour, Volkey SM 56, Volkey SM 60Putter: Circa 62 #2Ball: Pro V1x or what ever is in my bagHome Course:http://www.springfieldcc.org/

Used to have travel case now have SBK tour and its worth it.Like Erik said lots of towells wraped around and intertwined is the trick.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

I've flown with a soft case twice. I too was worried about the driver head, especially since it the bag barely zipped over it. Everything turned out fine though. No problems, other than getting weird looks walking around with a huge water buffalo shaped bag over your shoulder.

What's in my Edge stand bag
G10 10.5*
Z-Steel 3 wood 14.5* 403-AD 18* & 21* Hybrids Burner 09 4-pw DGS300 Z TP 52* & RAC TP Black 56* White Steel 2 Ball SRT 35" Tour B330s

Get a hard travel case, my dad got one when he used to go to Pebble Beach anually. He never had a problem with it.

I love to hate this damn game.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I do happen to have some iron headcovers and am going to use those. I'll wrap some towels around the driver shaft and maybe a broomstick like iacas suggested - hopefully a broomstick in my golf bag won't cause a security ruckus, though I can't imagine a broomstick would be a issue considering I'd have 14 other potential weapons capable of far greater destruction.

I put several clubs together, then wrap in a towel, then shrink-wrap them. I've never had a problem with the padded, wheeled soft carrier.

Driver: Taylor Made RBZ HL
3-Wood:Taylor Made RBZ 16*
Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ 19* and 22*
4i-PW: Titleist AP 1
Wedges: Vokey 54*, 60* Putter: Cameron Squareback 2 Ball: Pro V1x

Get a hard travel case, my dad got one when he used to go to Pebble Beach anually. He never had a problem with it.

the hard covers are the safest but they are pain when you get to your destination. To big and bulky. The soft ones work great just take Eriks advice and pack the heads with towels. I also put my shoes under the heads.

if you travel with a bag with lets. put it in the travel bag with the legs up. with the legs down you risk them getting broken when the airline guys are throwing them around.

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

I have a soft case with alot of padding at the top for the long clubs. I've flown probably 25-30 times with it, domestic and international and have had no problems. Maybe I'm just lucky. I've seen other folks just put their raincover on their carry-bag and send it like that. I know someone who goes to more exotic places than I do and his bag is about the same quality as mine, probably slightly flimsier.

Softcovers take up much less space, especially those you can fold up, so if you're stuck with a small car or travelling as a foursome, no problems. Yeah, I'd feel more secure with a hardcover, but so far, I've had no problems and I have close to 2 full replacement sets - irons, woods and all, so I'm pretty flexible.

Defintely get one with wheels. Be prepared not to get your bag when you land - lately, that's been happening to me alot. And the delivery folks come at all hours - I got mine delivered before dawn, 10pm, doesn't matter if it's a weekday, weekend or holiday. So if you can pick it up yourself without any inconvenience, do just that.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We flew southwest in May down to Orlando to play a few Disney courses. When we arrived back home, my wifes case was unsnapped and the driver head on her driver was separated. Southwest sent us a check for a new one. I would have rather went without the embarrassment of grabbing the club head off of the table.

Bag: Discovery
Driver: r7 460 Driver weighted neutral
Fairway:r7 FW 3 w/ Aldila NV 75S
Hybrid:Rescue 16 & 19
Irons:RAC OS 3-PW +1.25" Wedge:r7 SWPutter: Circa 62 #5Balls:NXT or ProV1'sTrying: Tour Model Blades

I got a hard case that is guaranteed indestructible...

pros...don't worry about damage
cons...very bulky, can't fit in some cars

if I got a soft bag, I would definitely put a longer broomstick to avoid the head snapping when it comes down the chute head first. I usually would put my shoes and some clothes in the bag and use it as another suitcase.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

My dad used to use hard cases and they kept his clubs perfect, they are bulky though.
In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

softcase here, traveled to Florida from Germany several times without a problem..

goodluck and have fun

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

Note: This thread is 6146 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!