IGNORED

Tiger in Men's Fitness - disappointing?

Shindig
Note: This thread is 6127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Howdy,

Was anyone else disappointed with this month's Men's Fitness ? I heard about an article on Tiger and his workout, and sure enough, it was an article about Tiger and his workout , and no details, although the story on ESPN.com seemed to imply that there would be.

Maybe I totally misread the article online.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I went to Barnes and Noble TWICE to try to get this damn mag and they didn't have it yet.

Now that I read that it's a bit disappointing maybe I won't bother. I was hoping for some details, I have already read online that he stretches for 40 minutes each session and runs 3 to 7 miles. Also that he lifts high reps with lower weights and checks his ego at the door of the gym, is there much more than this?

"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

IMO no matter what sport you are pursuing... General full body fitness will always be best.

Concentrate on Squats, Bench, Rows, and Deadlifts. Throw in some cardio for fun.

When you are strong at those 4 lifts, then you can alter the workout to be sport specific. Tiger is Very fit and therefore can be much more specific in his work outs.

check this website for a good place to start with a strength training regimen. Better than anything you'll find in Mens Fitness or the like:

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm

Thanks Andrew, I am not personally looking to mimick Tiger's routine but just thought it would be an interesting read. I have heard in the past that he keeps his workout regime very close to the vest so curiousity has peaked my interest.

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

Thanks Andrew, I am not personally looking to mimick Tiger's routine but just thought it would be an interesting read. I have heard in the past that he keeps his workout regime very close to the vest so curiousity has peaked my interest.

I couldn't figure out what he was doing, other than some poses that are unmarked. Sure, I recognize the machines and can guess what he's doing, but c'mon!!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

IMHO

Tiger is a marketing giant. He will never give up anything specific about his fitness, his practice, or his equipment. I felt his book was the same way a few years ago.
Golf specific training is the way to go, speed and flexibility. The Golf Channel has a great series on fitness.

I'd settle for knowing if the rumors are true about whether or not Tiger can actually put up 300 lbs. on the bench...lol.

-- For Sale: Titleist 907 Driver

I'd settle for knowing if the rumors are true about whether or not Tiger can actually put up 300 lbs. on the bench...lol.

I doubt he can. I'm a regular at the gym, and no one I see there is benching 300, and many of the other guys are a lot bigger than Tiger is. I'll give Tiger the credit, though - you can be damn sure he's spent some time pumping iron. Just look at him now compared to 10 years ago.

I'll give him 180, maybe 200 on the bench.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

• Administrator
I doubt he can. I'm a regular at the gym, and no one I see there is benching 300, and many of the other guys are a lot bigger than Tiger is. I'll give Tiger the credit, though - you can be damn sure he's spent some time pumping iron. Just look at him now compared to 10 years ago.

You'd probably lose that bet quite easily if you offered it to him.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'll give him 180, maybe 200 on the bench.

180-200 for 15 reps maybe. Although 200 is a solid bench for most guys, he would have no trouble with it. The 300 lb mark is one that you don't just get to unless it's your primary focus in lifting.

I am an Exercise Physiologist and have been running gyms for 14 years and have seen several guys who can go well over 300. They don't all look like roided out body builders. This guy is a world class athlete. If he wanted to bench 300 and it could remotely benefit his game he would already be doing it. All that said, I would have liked more insight to his actual routine. At the same time, I know why he didn't map it out. When you make the best drink in town, why hand out the recipie to the competition.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

You'd probably lose that bet quite easily if you offered it to him.

Thats not even a question lol

If I had to guess... Based on tiger's natural athletic ability and the amount of size he has put on in just the last few years. I would guess he could bench 200# in the neighborhood of 25 times

Anybody else kinda blown away by how ripped he looked at the US Open? Ive seen Tiger play this year but for some reason he just looked absoulutely cut at the open. It stood out like mad.
Driver FT-3 9deg w/ Aldila NV 65-S
3wood Rescue 3 15deg
Irons R7 TP w/ Flighted Rifle 6.5
Wedges 48deg TA900, 53deg TA588, 58deg TA900
Putter 2 ball center shaftedBall NXT Tour

I noticed too, I would think that the shirt had a little to do with it as well. That shirt seemed a bit smaller than he normally wears. I have to say, I'm not into dudes in the slightest but I'm not shy to say he looked damn solid at the U.S. Open. My wife certainly took notice.

Home...

Tiger bench 300#??? prolly.

I'm sure he only reps out to 200# and never maxes. Sucks they put more into his routine in the Men's Fitness mag...I was disappointed also browsing thru in the B&N;

In My Bag:
Driver: R9 TP 9.5°
Hybrids: Idea Pro, 16°, 20°, VS Proto
Irons: TP MB 4-P
Wedges: Vokey SM 50.08 54°, 60°Putter: NP2

I think a good program for golf is http://www.bodyforlife.com/

This philisophy works out the whole body and with proper nutrition can keep you in great shape. Good for transformations also (check out the website)

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

I'm sure Tiger could put up 300lbs.

But I guarantee you he doesn't. Bench Press puts way too much strain on the shoulders, something Tiger wouldn't want to do.

I picture Tiger with minimal weights and alot of balance exercises focused around one of those exercise balls.

A lot of Core training and a lot of Back workouts.

Thanks for the link. I browsed through it a bit. I don't know if I'll change my routine (I think I finally found a good one for me). But I'm just going on the exercises my old trainer gave me. It'd be nice to get some fresh insight.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Note: This thread is 6127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!