IGNORED

Howdy From TX

dereckbc
Note: This thread is 4110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys just joined up. My name is Dereck and I live in the north DFW area of TX. I am a retired Electrical Engineer of 55 and have started my second career as a PGA Golf Instructor. I have been playing golf on an doff since I was about 10 years old. After retiring I was able to put a lot of time and effort into golf, and now give instructions. Not for the money, I would starve to death if I had to do it for a living, but because I really enjoy the game and like teaching. Hope to be of some help and chat a bit.

Hi Dereck,

I'm new this board.  I joined to get tips on how to start golfing.  I never really golfed before, everything I know about golf is through watching.  But now I want to golf as a fun hobby, I was wondering, what is the best way to get started, and as a newcomer what should I buy.  Thanks

But now I want to golf as a fun hobby, I was wondering, what is the best way to get started, and as a newcomer what should I buy.  Thanks

Same advice I give anyone in your position. First for the DON"T part. Do not go down and buy a brand new set of irons and woods. No need to spend that kind of money until you are absolutely sure you want to take on this hobby / sport. By then you should be hitting the ball decently if you take my must do advice. So do some research and find you an instructor. Do not take the first one that comes along. Try to find one that does not teach a system or a swing. Fin done that will work with your characteristics and abilities or lack of them. The instructors who teach a system are likely to teach the textbook PGA Modern Golf Swing. It is a great swing but very few people can actually do it. For example just look at Jim Furyk or Arnold Palmer to name a few. No where even close to textbook. Another example my favorite and I think the best Ball Striker is Ben Hogan. When you fin done take a series of lessons, not just a couple. A good instructor will start you out with Fundamentals. Lesson 1 is Grip, Setup, Posture, and Alignment. Do not pass go until you Master each lesson segment, and for God's sake go home and practice the lesson. If you get an instructor like me, if you did not master the previous lesson, we are going to do it again and you wasted your money on a lesson because I would not advance you until you master the lesson at hand. Each step has to be automatic before you can advance to the next step. Minimum if you are an easy study is 6 lessons to get you to a full swing. Lastly keep this in mind. It is a very old Ironic Joke. You cannot play good golf until you have invested $10,000. The ironic part is it is mostly true. ;-) Last tip and do not take this wrong; Forget everything you think you know about a golf swing. An instructor cannot teach a know it all, especially a beginner. :-P

Welcome! I live in Dallas and I'm also an EE. Where are you teaching?

I am a newbie here so I am hesitant to answer that because I do not want to give the impression I am here to promote myself and get in trouble. I am not here to do that. I am here to share and learn. Perhaps a PM?

Originally Posted by dereckbc

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobtrumpet

Welcome!

I live in Dallas and I'm also an EE. Where are you teaching?

I am a newbie here so I am hesitant to answer that because I do not want to give the impression I am here to promote myself and get in trouble. I am not here to do that. I am here to share and learn. Perhaps a PM?

Understood; wasn't trying to put you in an uncomfortable situation. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

Bob E.

Dallas, TX

Welcome, I'm 20 minutes north of DFW AIrport.

Enjoy the forum - lots of great! instruction here.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum!!!

-Scott

Flight Stand Bag

RAZR Fit Driver

RAZR X HL Irons 4-PW, GW

Tech Series Glove

Black Series Tour Putter

NXT Tour Golf Balls

• 7 months later...
Note: This thread is 4110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!