IGNORED

Is the interest in golf slipping?

The Rambler
Note: This thread is 6148 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well today i was golfing and there were 10+ balls in the rack. That never happens. Usually at my course you can go straight out. This reminded the GM of the course of the days before video games(pre-ps2). In our tiny clubhouse it was standing room only. Our junior tournements had more than 100 kids in them. Now they are reduced to maybe 20 if it's nice out. First flight first place racked in over $100ea (we usually play2-man matches) last friday i only won $7. Titleist uused to sponsor tounrments too. You could win scotties, drivers, wedges, and bags I really wish more people would pick up their sticks and play, kids my age espicially.

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

Where i live its constantly busy, i can barely get out on the course, maybe people are losing interest in your "General Area"
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

That's probably true. I wish I lived in Winnipeg then...I need more people to play with

Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

I wish my interest in golf would back off a little. It has taken over my life - and I'm an old hack golfer! I haven't read a book or magazine that wasn't golf related for a year! I don't want to get a new car because I want to be able to spend four or five bills a month if I want on golf stuff not car payments. The pro at where I play a lot told me he would give one-on-one lessons one/third off because he liked my enthusiasm so much - I told him I'd write him a check for $1000 if he could make me quit golf! "I'm a golf pro," he told me, "not a miracle worker." dayll

Well today i was golfing and there were 10+ balls in the rack. That never happens. Usually at my course you can go straight out. This reminded the GM of the course of the days before video games(pre-ps2). In our tiny clubhouse it was standing room only. Our junior tournements had more than 100 kids in them. Now they are reduced to maybe 20 if it's nice out. First flight first place racked in over $100ea (we usually play2-man matches) last friday i only won $7. Titleist uused to sponsor tounrments too. You could win scotties, drivers, wedges, and bags I really wish more people would pick up their sticks and play, kids my age espicially.

Maybe you can hope kids out-grow video games. I certainly went that route. I own a PS2, but almost never play it anymore. I used to play tons of games on the computer - and I still have them - but I don't play them anymore, either. I've found a more insane way to kill my time - play golf. Seriously, golf is the definition of insanity. You do something and expect the same result every time - a good shot, and it almost never happens.

I actually wish interest in golf would die down a bit, at least where I live. The golf course would be less crowded, I wouldn't have to deal with so many idiots, and people would play faster.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

There's MORE hackers I think then there ever was. Like, what I mean is people who pick the game up at 40, and really don't have much talent, and shoot low 100's. It's not often at any courses near me anyone I play with is anything decent. They are all 25+ handicaps, if that. I'm not trying to offend anyone here, I have nothing wrong with new people picking the game up at a older age, but it seems like there are a lot more 30+ year olds playing now, who aren't the greatest athletes, then kids.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

My interest in golf is slipping because..

A. My back is severly f'd up.

B. The course's in my area are so packed when its finally nice i dont want to put up with the hassle.

C. I dont have any time anymore.

So no i dont think interest in 'playing' golf is slipping, if anything its growing. I think interest in the PGA tour schedule may be slipping. I know i enjoyed golf when there were more big events more frequently.. and now it seems like im waiting for one specific week and not watching the smaller events because of lack of big names and excitement. I dont think videogames have anything to do with the big picture, i no longer own a system and the only videogame i play is links 2003 for pc.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

Try getting on any Bethpage course once school is out before 3:00 in afternoon and there are 5 courses there.My bitch is the way the youngsters dress,Tee shirts and hats on backwards cargo shorts tank tops.I mean come on!!! Is it that hard to get a collar shirt or even a mock?And for christ sake if you are going to wear a hat PUT IT ON RIGHT!!!!.OK I will say no more.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Maybe you can hope kids out-grow video games. I certainly went that route. I own a PS2, but almost never play it anymore. I used to play tons of games on the computer - and I still have them - but I don't play them anymore, either. I've found a more insane way to kill my time - play golf. Seriously, golf is the definition of insanity. You do something and expect the same result every time - a good shot, and it almost never happens.

I more or less quit video games after my first year of college. Oddly, one of the few I've played since then was TW2004, got me into golf.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Try getting on any Bethpage course once school is out before 3:00 in afternoon and there are 5 courses there.My bitch is the way the youngsters dress,Tee shirts and hats on backwards cargo shorts tank tops.I mean come on!!! Is it that hard to get a collar shirt or even a mock?And for christ sake if you are going to wear a hat PUT IT ON RIGHT!!!!.OK I will say no more.

lol sounding like one of those old farts who are always telling those damn kids to get off of his lawn. But I here you and I know what you are talking about

if interest drops, maybe courses will be less crowded.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

I first took up the game about fifteen years ago, played for two years, then because of a job change I had to put my clubs away for 13 years. I just got back into it this year.

If the changes during that time in my area is any indication, I can see why a lot of people are either leaving the sport or abandoning it upon introduction:

1. The price to play 18 has gone through the roof. I've found one venue that gets you for a reasonable 25 bucks weekdays, but the overwhelming majority of greens fees within a 50 mile radius of my house start at 60 dollars, going easily to triple digits on weekends. That's a lot of cabbage if you're a high school or college kid and you don't have a dad (or other benefactor) who plays. At the age you want to get them hooked on the game, most are economically excluded.

2. Fun, non-penal starter courses with basic amenities and casual ambience seem few and far between anymore. With one or two exceptions, courses around my area delight in Pete Dye-like tests and formal gilt clubhouses. Verrrry intimidating if you're a newbie.

3. You wanna WALK their pristine creations? Forget it, bucko. Fork over the 30 extra bills for a cart or go home. Far fewer courses let you enjoy your round - and play faster - on foot these days in my neck of the woods than previously. Must be a big moneymaker for owners.

4. When did starters and course rangers become adversaries?? It's nice that pace of play is being enforced more and more, but with a few notable exceptions the overwhelming majority of senior citizens who have the time to staff these positions are the crotchety old guys who yell at kids to get off their lawns. Now it's " Get off my course !" Seriously, I think they look at players as potential criminals at worst, disruptive schoolchildren or unwelcome interlopers at best. Rounds at these places can be very uncomfortable, even if you follow the letter AND intent of their laws.

I still love playing the game per se , which is fortunate because I have to play for work obligations. But I can see, in areas like mine anyway, how people without those incentives could be inclined to sell their new sticks at the next available garage sale. I've been involved in a lot of sports in my life, but I've never seen the roadblocks to involvement that golf throws at you.

That's been my experience, anyway....

Tom

Bag It:

3-Wood Wishon 525 F/D, 13*, Matrix Studio 65gm, Golf Pride Dual Compound
Hybrid: Wishon "321", 24*, MSF 85 HB, Winn DSI
Irons: Wishon 770CFE, Matrix Studio 74gm, Winn DSI

Putter: Odyssey DFX 2-Ball

Bag: Some big, honkin', ridiculous overkill of an Ogio cart bag with more pockets than I have teeth.

Makes me glad I'm in Oklahoma. I can get a bucket of range balls for $2 and can play some really good courses for $25 and under (especially if I book on-line). Private memberships are still reasonable at some clubs (especially in south OKC).

There's MORE hackers I think then there ever was. Like, what I mean is people who pick the game up at 40, and really don't have much talent, and shoot low 100's. It's not often at any courses near me anyone I play with is anything decent. They are all 25+ handicaps, if that. I'm not trying to offend anyone here, I have nothing wrong with new people picking the game up at a older age, but it seems like there are a lot more 30+ year olds playing now, who aren't the greatest athletes, then kids.

I see plenty of kids who shoot in the 100s. It doesn't have anything to do with athleticism. I've played with guys who shoot in the 80s who look like they are on the verge of death, and I've played with guys built like tanks who shoot 150. It doesn't even require talent, really, to be decent at golf. Just a few lessons, a lot of practice and the skill that comes along with that. The VAST majority of golfers that I encounter don't have the time to commit to become "good". I've got tons of friends that would love to golf as often as I do, but they have families and houses and jobs and social commitments that don't let them get out. They have the interest, it's just that golf isn't a high priority in their lives, and rightfully so.

Around where I live (Iowa), there is plenty of interest in golf. I've only been golfing a year or so (and yes, I'm one of those low 100s golfers), but at the few courses I usually play, there is seldom a lot of softness in the schedule. You can still get out for around 30 bucks (or less) riding for 18 holes here, and that probably has something to do with it. From what I've seen, though, there seems to be a lot more interest in the social aspect of playing golf than the competitive aspect of it. People just want to be outside and enjoy the weather, drink a beer or two and have fun with friends. If they shoot 150 or 85 it's still a great time. That's one of the greatest things about golf, IMO. No matter if I'm in the 90s or shooting 120 I'm a happy guy when I'm on the golf course. The irritating people to me are the super-competitive, throw-a-club-if-they-hit-a-bad-shot types who take the game a bit too seriously.

I live in the Monterey area, no change in play here in years. There is a lot more young players (like my four year old son) thanks to a great program, the first tee.

He NEVER wears his hat backwards since starting that program... He'll probably have a 10 handicap by age 7.

In my Matrix XTT bag,
on my Sun Mountain Speed Cart
LD M-Speed 10.5* Driver
V18 full set of starter clubs
3W, 3iw, 4iw, 5-S Irons and Wedges Kirk Currie KC4 PutterHome Course:Pajaro Valley Golf Clubwww.pajarovalleygolf.com

I see plenty of kids who shoot in the 100s. It doesn't have anything to do with athleticism. I've played with guys who shoot in the 80s who look like they are on the verge of death, and I've played with guys built like tanks who shoot 150. It doesn't even require talent, really, to be decent at golf. Just a few lessons, a lot of practice and the skill that comes along with that. The VAST majority of golfers that I encounter don't have the time to commit to become "good". I've got tons of friends that would love to golf as often as I do, but they have families and houses and jobs and social commitments that don't let them get out. They have the interest, it's just that golf isn't a high priority in their lives, and rightfully so.

My post came off the wrong way I suppose. That was my point. There are people who pick the game up too late, and just don't have the time with a 9-5 job, kids, etc. etc. to get any good at the game.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

My post came off the wrong way I suppose. That was my point. There are people who pick the game up too late, and just don't have the time with a 9-5 job, kids, etc. etc. to get any good at the game.

However, this doesn't mean they don't have interest in the game (the title of the thread).

Now we can debate all day whether those of us who aren't sub-20 handicap golfers are good or bad for the game, but all that really matters is that everyone is having fun.

Note: This thread is 6148 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!