IGNORED

My Swing (slightlymad)

slightlymad
Note: This thread is 1368 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Remember when you were learning to drive a car,it needed focus on seemingly numerous things,now you can do it without even thinking.As with the grip,there are a number of SUBTLE things required that makes all the difference.Its more than which hand is on first, that is an optional  piece but important .The majority of pros get the left hand on correctly  first.When  you watch Erik in the 5 keys vids,he gets the left hand on correctly first,then the right .

Preshot routine is crucial for a consistent grip. I personally hold the club in the right hand down by the end of the grip, aligning the clubface the way I want, then I put the left on first. From there I will re-grip the right hand. Each person has to find their own method for this. Heck, you could mark your grip so you have a reference if you want. I know some people align the logo on the grip to be a certain way so they can grip the club consistently.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To be honest with you, I don't find the grip to be that important. Most people believe it should be held in the fingers and should be slightly stronger than neutral. Me, personally, I have it in the palm of my left hand and pretty weak. Point being, it's a personal choice.

You've scooted a lot closer; I think that'll help. One thing that'll bring the arms in closer is to feel that the elbows are pinched against your side. That's over exaggerating it a bit, probably, but its a good way to feel it.

I wouldn't try to work on too many things at one time, though. Find a priority piece and work on it a bunch. I would recommend working on the stance myself.

Good luck though, dude. Changing the swing for the better is both rewarding and immensely frustrating, but worth it.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

slightlymad....further to our conversation yesterday,watch DJ's hand action on the club during set up,that isn't nervous activity,it's getting the club set in his hands.Very much a feel action but one that is actually creating the correct weight balance.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

slightlymad....further to our conversation yesterday,watch DJ's hand action on the club during set up,that isn't nervous activity,it's getting the club set in his hands.Very much a feel action but one that is actually creating the correct weight balance.

Every golfer has their little things they do subconsciously to get set. Look at Sergio, he use to regrip the club 100 times before he hit the ball. Its not really important as long as its not changing anything. Like if someone had a good grip, then re gripped in a waggle to something else, that might be bad.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 1 month later...

New video of 7 iron and driver

Working on posture at the moment, which is difficult because now i hit into the ground every three shots. meh.

Again, feel free to comment and give tips of what you think is wrong with my swing. All is appreciated!

Slightlymad

From what I can see, I'm no expert, but you for sure move downward on your downswing. Also, may I recommend that you Flare your feet out, approx 30 degrees, more on the left foot, this will help you to make a nice turn with your hips in the back swing, which allows you the room to swing in to out on the down swing. I find that this also helps to keep my head/body from dipping downward, or coming up out of the swing. Other than that, I'll let the Experts comment further. Posture looks much better, keep at it, what the guys advise for building a better swing on here, works.

Thanks for your comments Hammer 4. If i may ask, what do you mean by moving downward on your downswing?

If you draw a line across the top of your head, you can see that you move downward during your swing, which would cause your fat shots. Possibly other things come into play also, but as I'm not an expert, I'll leave that for them to comment on.

If you draw a line across the top of your head, you can see that you move downward during your swing, which would cause your fat shots. Possibly other things come into play also, but as I'm not an expert, I'll leave that for them to comment on.

Aaah yeah, i see what you mean, I can probably benefit from less movement in my head and upper body i think.

Yep...have a look at the videos in this link, will explain everything, and help you to get a good idea how to make a better swing.

http://purestrike5sk.com/videos.php

• 1 year later...
Finally made Some new videos. Since last week I've been working on my backswing, trying to take it more back out and up vertical instead of horizontal. And then going down from the inside a bit more so I can still hit a draw. I have to say somehow I like my swing more in slomo. I started to hole more putts but I'm still a 12.7. Driver also feels better but the full swing is something I can definitely improve on. Mainly consistency I guess. Anyway, I think I have improved quite a bit but I'm very curious to hear what people think. Regards Slightlymad [Video]http://youtu.be/pF3WvpjSP8I[/video] [Video]http://youtu.be/Cwq_wn3lKik[/video] [Video]http://youtu.be/Cwq_wn3lKik[/video] [Video]http://youtu.be/pF3WvpjSP8I[/video]

Now that I think about it I always seem to think my swing is alright at any moment in time I have been working on something. But when I look at older videos it always looks kinda ... Not very powerful to put it nicely. Im no shorthitter though I don't think. Guess my length compensates a lot of that.

• 5 years later...

Its been a long time. Been playing on and off. Had some lessons. Didnt actually make alot of progress because life got in the way. Had fun though.

Teacher made a video of my current swing so im logging it here for progression journal(Sry its not entirely the right angles). Feel free to comment.

Current shot is a slight draw, but i regularly hook it. Trying to get a more outward swingpath now to help with that.

[video]

[video]

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1368 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!