IGNORED

What can I learn about wood shafts from my driver fitting?

Note: This thread is 4170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All,

A while back I did a driver fitting, and it went really well (Read: Awesome).  I was fit into a stiff E-360 Fujikura shaft and it has been great.  Recently, my 3 wood broke (there was an incident with a car trunk) and I'm going to upgrade to the RBZ woods.  I called my fitter that did the driver and he said he doesn't fit wood shafts.

Given that I "know" what works for me in a driver shaft, can I make any assumptions (Torque, weight, flex, etc...) about a good wood shaft, or do I need to go pay for and find someone to fit the woods shaft as well?

I'd like to get a 3 and a 5 wood, but I'm not sure if I'll get similar results with a similar shaft to my driver that has worked so well, or if woods are just a different animal?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It all depends on how the shaft plays out.

By chance, I had an R.flex Fuji E360 on my Callaway Hyper X Tour driver (circa 2009).  It worked out pretty well. I got the same in an X Tour 3W - without really getting fitted, assuming the shaft would work in 3W also. As it turned out, I sometimes had trouble getting sufficient height on shots off the fairway if I wasn't swinging well.

A driver you hit off a tee, but the FW off the fairway may need a bit more shaft help than the driver. At 8 HDCP you probably have really good clubhead speed, so it may not be an issue for you. However, some players who enter the hitting zone fairly level with their driver are said to "drive the the ball rather than launch it." Such players may find a 4W works better off the deck than a 3W.

When in doubt, get some launch monitor data to help you in your choice.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

You'll never know until you try.  However, I bought my 910D3 with the ahina x-stiff and loved it.  They didn't have any shaft options I liked in stock for the 910F, so I decided to order the exact same shaft (72 grams, ahina x-stiff) in my 3-wood.  I like the shaft even better in the 3-wood, so it worked out well.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Note: This thread is 4170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!