IGNORED

what is your go to shot from 100 yards in the fairway?

onthehunt526
Note: This thread is 2927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

Well, the problem I run into is finding the right shot for the shorter stuff. When I start messing with partial swings my timing gets way off, making it harder to hit the shot in the direction I want. Also, I do need to update my handicap. You can talk crap all you want but you aren't calling any bluff. Long tee shots aren't hard to do, many people can crush a drive but are unable to score well. I've never worked on partial swings and pitch/chip shots, that is why my scores suffer. My putting isn't bad but it's not great, I still have a few 3 putts per round. Typically my bad holes are due to an ob shot/lost ball.

I'm not piling on the s*** storm or anything, but if you are getting the occasional 3-putt and drive the ball really well, you would need to be hitting the ball OB a lot to maintain a legitimate 25+ handicap.

Again, no one cares how far you hit the ball except for you.You won't get any wows or congratulations from anyone on the internet either. What you can get is honest advice when you ask for it. Some of the reputable members here will obviously have a hard time committing their time to providing you with that advice if your numbers don't add up though.

You did make the comment that you fairly regularly drive the ball 300 yards. You do realize that is quite a feat and more than the vast majority of amateur golfers, right? With that being said, the coordination and raw-talent with a golf club that this feat requires is what is bringing your handicap and scoring into question.

On-topic though, you definitely need to work on your short game to compliment your driving ability. Eliminate the OB and wayward shots by identifying your swing faults and practicing to correct them. Work from the green backwards and spend your time from 150 and in. You can clearly hit the ball a long way from what you are saying, so work with your wedges and scoring irons to drop your scores significantly.

(Are your OB shots off the tee, or from the fairway?)

Well, the problem I run into is finding the right shot for the shorter stuff. When I start messing with partial swings my timing gets way off, making it harder to hit the shot in the direction I want. Also, I do need to update my handicap. You can talk crap all you want but you aren't calling any bluff. Long tee shots aren't hard to do, many people can crush a drive but are unable to score well. I've never worked on partial swings and pitch/chip shots, that is why my scores suffer. My putting isn't bad but it's not great, I still have a few 3 putts per round. Typically my bad holes are due to an ob shot/lost ball.

Just stop, please.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Just stop, please.

Stop what, may I ask? I went back on topic until I was quoted and commented back to, if that's what you meant. Otherwise, nothing I said was false or exaggerated.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Stop what, may I ask? I went back on topic until I was quoted and commented back to, if that's what you meant. Otherwise, nothing I said was false or exaggerated.

Okay, you hit it too high, with very little roll, causing you to lose distance, and yet many of your drives still go around 300.  Question: what is your location?

I don't doubt that you can hit it far.  But I do doubt that you're losing distance, hit many around 300, and are still a 20+ handicap (you said your previous round was +21).  You should know that it takes some measure of control and consistency to hit "many" 300 yard drives, not just swing speed.  Yes, a lot of people can swing the club fast.  No, a lot of people can't "crush it."  By "a lot of people", I'm talking proportionate percentages.

May as well just start a swing thread so that this one isn't derailed with this information.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I am not posting on this thread anymore for that reason, to stop derailing the thread. I never meant to imply every drive I hit was perfect. Also, not sure if it was in this thread or not but I did mention before that that of the +21, +13 was on 4 holes, meaning  the other 14 were only +8. I don't recover well typically which leads to big scores on bad holes. Regardless, I am done posting in this thread because either people want to "debunk" me now instead of focusing on the topic. Maybe a moderator will just remove my posts since they have been a detriment to the focus of the OP.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

This is again off topic, but read this and you will understand why people might not believe why most of your drives go 300 yards.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/18107/20-handicappers-hitting-300-yards-mild-rant

I got the fact that you hit many OB with a 300 yard drive.

The fact is, in order to actually hit a good golf shot 300 yards, you need really good swing mechanics and this takes an enormous amount of coordination and athleticism.

I have met many high school golfers on the ranges I go, and on the course. Many of them hit 300+ yards, but they practice a lot (>4 hours per day?). If you participated in high school sports (especially a big one with 3600 students), you know that the coaches push really hard. On top of that, these kids are the select few that have really good coordination and swing mechanics. These are the few that made the varsity golf team, and play off 2, scratch or better. On top of that there's an 18 hole golf course right next to the high school.

This is why if most of your drives are 300 yards, you are either really really strong or really good (in which case your HC should be something like a 5 or less) or don't actually hit 300 yards (which is a really really long way).

BTW, we should move this topic to the thread in the link before Erik makes us...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Hey guys, what's your go to shot from 100 yards in the fairway? Teehee :))

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Hey guys, what's your go to shot from 100 yards in the fairway? Teehee :))

Did I mention that I like to use a 52 degree wedge? :-P

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Reading through some of the posts I wasn't sure if this thread was about 100 yard approach shots or about high handicappers imagining they consistently pound 300 yard drives center cut down the middle?

Anyways, from 100 yards in the fairway I use my 52 degree gap wedge. I grip down to about the middle of the grip with a 3/4 swing. I like to keep the ball as low as possible from 100 yards and in. Basically controlling trajectory helps control distance and I like the Steve Stricker approach to pitching the ball from 100 yards and in. Just enough spin on the ball to take a couple hops and stop.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Originally Posted by Parker0065

Reading through some of the posts I wasn't sure if this thread was about 100 yard approach shots or about high handicappers imagining they consistently pound 300 yard drives center cut down the middle?

Both, apparently.

Tyler Martin

Just a thought on the topic, and by topic, I mean the not topic that has taken over. I'm a high capper. Bogey golf is great for me. My driver is absolutely my most consistent club. I don't keep my stats, but I'd guess that I hit 70% or so of fairways, and that my average drive is in the 250-260 range. I understand that that's not 300, but for the sake of the discussion it works. I can absolutely see how some one can, without that much practice, be pretty good with their driver, but also pretty inconsistent with the rest of their clubs. I wish I could be consistent with my irons the way I am with my driver. On the actual topic... My go to when there's not much in front of the green is a 1/2 pitching wedge. When the green is protected in the front I usually go with a 3/4 50*.

Just a thought on the topic, and by topic, I mean the not topic that has taken over. I'm a high capper. Bogey golf is great for me. My driver is absolutely my most consistent club. I don't keep my stats, but I'd guess that I hit 70% or so of fairways, and that my average drive is in the 250-260 range. I understand that that's not 300, but for the sake of the discussion it works. I can absolutely see how some one can, without that much practice, be pretty good with their driver, but also pretty inconsistent with the rest of their clubs. I wish I could be consistent with my irons the way I am with my driver. On the actual topic... My go to when there's not much in front of the green is a 1/2 pitching wedge. When the green is protected in the front I usually go with a 3/4 50*.

We moved the invading topic over to the linked thread. Yes, I tend to agree that it's not unlikely. You hit just a bit farther than me, and it's not hard for me to believe that quite a few more people can hit farther. It's only about 15 to 20% more distance. However, swing mechanics is really important to hit 70% fairways, you should be able to hit your irons pretty well. Probably a mental block.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Originally Posted by saturday

Hey guys, what's your go to shot from 100 yards in the fairway?

Teehee :))

Old reliable Tommy Armor PW, circa 1970ish.  :)  I'll use the club until the day I die.

Earlier this year I would hit maybe a 80% 56 degree SW. . . not a fancy club, I think I bought it from Target or something like that for $20 years ago. Written on the club head: "For 70 yards or less". I could hit it 100% 130 yards and maybe a little farther off a tee. Lately I've gotten this knot in my back between my left shoulder blade and my spine and it's been just depressing. When I golf now, if I'm 100 yards out I'd probably go with an 80% PW. Thinking of going to a chiropractor or maybe having my wife take that PW at 80%, more of a baseball swing, and aim for mid back, just left of my spine.

Originally Posted by McMullenCPA

Earlier this year I would hit maybe a 80% 56 degree SW. . . not a fancy club, I think I bought it from Target or something like that for $20 years ago. Written on the club head: "For 70 yards or less". I could hit it 100% 130 yards and maybe a little farther off a tee. Lately I've gotten this knot in my back between my left shoulder blade and my spine and it's been just depressing. When I golf now, if I'm 100 yards out I'd probably go with an 80% PW. Thinking of going to a chiropractor or maybe having my wife take that PW at 80%, more of a baseball swing, and aim for mid back, just left of my spine.

Get a massage w/hot stones.  Google for your area

Originally Posted by ChuckDee

Old reliable Tommy Armor PW, circa 1970ish.  :)  I'll use the club until the day I die.

Just learning about the feel of shots inside 100 yards. I can see how you get attached to your 100 yard club.

• Upvote 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Originally Posted by ChuckDee

lol I still have a 1992 Wilson Harmonized Chrome PW that my father gave me. Not sure what the degree is, but it used to faithfully go out with high trajectory for me and die at 100-105 and fall from the sky as if it hit an invisible wall. I then used it for pitching around the green because the feel was amazing and I still have this club in my garage. The damn thing is 20 years old and looks great! I'll never get rid of it, I had my first chip and first birdie (which was a chip) with it as well.

Originally Posted by Lihu

Just learning about the feel of shots inside 100 yards. I can see how you get attached to your 100 yard club.

Full, easy swing is dead nuts, 100 yards.  Inside a 100 it gets a little trickier for me.

Note: This thread is 2927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!