IGNORED

Time for USGA to Rethink Amateur Status Rules

gogolfer
Note: This thread is 1954 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My opinion is that SOME amateurs have the financial wherewithal combined with drive and focus to spend all day working on their games... Lots of teenagers and young adults who live at home have this benefit.  Compare that with a PGA teaching pro who spends most of his time in the pro shop and gives the occasional lesson... and really doesn't get much time on the range or much time to play... because he is greeting clients, setting tee times, zoning merchandise. Taking phone calls... and I think one can see that he has a gripe that could be viewed as valid.  Working at a golf course as a teaching pro probably puts him at a disadvantage compared to those lucky ones who can call golf their "job" without declaring Professional Status.  IMHO teaching pros should not be in the same category as plating pros (including mini-tour).  But the rules are the rules and it is all made very clear, so those who choose that path are doing so with their eyes wide open.  I'd be willing to guess that many teaching pros would get smoked by a number of amateurs in tournament play.   I remember when I was younger working in pro shops and health clubs... After working there all day, the last thing i wanted to do was work out or practice.  Needed to get away from work.  I'd guess some others out there probably feel the same way.

4 hours ago, TJ Allison said:

My opinion is that SOME amateurs have the financial wherewithal combined with drive and focus to spend all day working on their games... Lots of teenagers and young adults who live at home have this benefit.  Compare that with a PGA teaching pro who spends most of his time in the pro shop and gives the occasional lesson... and really doesn't get much time on the range or much time to play... because he is greeting clients, setting tee times, zoning merchandise. Taking phone calls... and I think one can see that he has a gripe that could be viewed as valid.  Working at a golf course as a teaching pro probably puts him at a disadvantage compared to those lucky ones who can call golf their "job" without declaring Professional Status.  IMHO teaching pros should not be in the same category as plating pros (including mini-tour).  But the rules are the rules and it is all made very clear, so those who choose that path are doing so with their eyes wide open.  I'd be willing to guess that many teaching pros would get smoked by a number of amateurs in tournament play.   I remember when I was younger working in pro shops and health clubs... After working there all day, the last thing i wanted to do was work out or practice.  Needed to get away from work.  I'd guess some others out there probably feel the same way.

You are responding to a very old post but you still make a valid point.   

Welcome to TST.   We're glad you've decided to join and participate.  Stick around, You'll like it.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

You are responding to a very old post but you still make a valid point.   

Welcome to TST.   We're glad you've decided to join and participate.  Stick around, You'll like it.

Thanks... I realized that when I was posting,  but decided to let it fly due to all the typing I did and the different perspective.  I'm definitely enjoying the forum.  Thanks for,the warm welcome.

1 hour ago, TJ Allison said:

Thanks... I realized that when I was posting,  but decided to let it fly due to all the typing I did and the different perspective.  I'm definitely enjoying the forum.  Thanks for,the warm welcome.

I’m glad you did. Like @dennyjones said you make a valid point. My cousin was on the tour in the late 80’s early 90’s and just literally couldn’t afford what it took to survive. He’d get the occasional ‘sponsor’ I.e. donations from his dad’s friends but of course felt obligated to pay them back and just couldn’t make ends meet. Welcome to TST.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1954 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!