IGNORED

What was your first eagle

walrus12kp
Note: This thread is 3879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Only one - hit a nice easy draw with TM RAC OS 5 iron to flag that was tucked flag from about 160 out. It was my second shot on a par 4 and I couldn't even see the flag from my ball. I thought it was a great shot but I couldn't see the ball land. My playing partners and I got to the green and didn't see my ball anywhere. One of them asked if I looked in the hole. My response was its not in the hole even though I thought it was a great shout. He looked and said, yep it's in the hole.

I was playing the 18th at Pebble. I hit about a 250 yard drive, followed by a 2nd shot that went about 200 yards.  I was about 100 out and hit my 46* wedge, and it 1 hopped into the hole for my first ever eagle and 1 shot victory over Rory and Jason Dufner at the 2019 U.S. Open.  Oh wait, that was my dream the other night, sorry.  I have never hit an eagle. I have come close on numerous occasions though.  Almost got my first eagle/hole in one today. I was playing a 201 yard par 3, and hit my 3hybrid to within about 2 feet of the hole.

I have to envy all of you until I get my first.  When I do hit one for real I will post on here.

I've had 4 over the years. All were holed from fairway.  Twice, wedges into par 5 that found the bottom of the jar.  Another was an 8-iron to a par 4 that hit the green, released and rolled about 20' and drained.

The most memorable of the 4 happened during a scramble event in which I hadn't hit a shot all day.  Our group was 2nd to last to finish and we were in contention.  On 18, our drive left about 120 uphill to a back right pin placement.  Beyond the green was a hill that acted as stadium seating for the 50 or so players gathered there.  I hit 8-iron and scattered several guys lounging on the hillside just above the green.  As it was recalled to me, my shot flew directly over the flag, hit green, bounced onto the collar then spun back hitting the flag stick solidly and dropping for eagle.

The eagle allowed out team to finish -11 two shots out of lead in 4th place and out of any winnings for the day.  Being able to walk up in front of 50 or so guys to retrieve the my ball from the hole was 'priceless' as they say in the VISA commercials.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 in my lifetime out of about 20 opportunities  All putts, I've never holed anything from the fairway for eagle or other.

One was a par 4, where the men/pro teebox was being resodded, and everyone teed off from the ladies.  Hit diver to about 2 ft.  Yes, I count this one.

I have also missed two putts that were less than 4 ft.

Have had many eagles over the years (been playing golf for 12 years but didn't play but a few times a year for 7 years).  But in high school on the 1st hole of a 9 hole tournament, my drive was about a foot off the green on a 285 yard par 4.  I chipped in with my 5 iron from about 35-40 feet.  Was so excited but followed up with a double bogey on the next hole (the hardest hole on the course). I  did end up shooting par for the round though.

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

Bladed an 8-iton from about 125 (it was the 70s) it hit short, hopped on the green, and rolled in the hole.

I had that one, I've holed out on my third shot from the fairway on a par 5.  I've mae a putt from the fringe of a par 4.

The one type of eagle I've never had is the one where you hit the par 5 green in 2 and make the putt.  In earlier years I had some of those opportunities but none of them fell.  Now, alas, my dwindling length makes it unlikely the opportunity will occur any more.

Still looking for the first ace, as well.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I made 10 eagles in 2012................and I couldn't even tell you the details of my first one of this past year.  LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

First and only was on a short 373yd par 4 a couple years ago when I was about 60 years old. Hit a horrible driver shot that left me about 195 yds (see told you it was horrible). Hit a 3 wood that hit front of green and rolled right into the hole(pure luck) I promptly triple boogied the next hole (which is more closer to my playing level)

5 for me that I can recall.

1.  My first was a chip in from about 10 yards short of the green -- the hole is now a par 4, so questionable.  I was early 20s and probably a 15 cap.

2.  410 yard par 4, dogleg left -- holed out with a 6 iron from 165

3.  280 yard par 4 strat away -- drive to the fringe and gangsta rolled in a 50 foot putt

4.  580 yard par 5 -- two very mediocre shots followed up by a 7 iron from 155 that started 15 feet right of the hole and drew in like it had eyes -- one hop and dunk -- shittty thing is that it was a practice round the day before a tournament

5.  500 yard par 5 this past summer -- driver, utility to 25 feet and dropped it -- this was in the middle of a birdie, birdie, eagle, birdie run to close out the front nine.....got too drunk on the back and gave all those strokes back but I had a blast and don't regret it a second

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

I have 12 par4 eagles, and I can recall every one!  I started playing seriously in 1992 and didn't get my first par4 deuce until 2005.  It was a 451yd par4..........I hit a bad tee shot off a tree and had 228yds to the pin from the rough.  I had a decent lie and hit a 3-iron that landed short of the green and took a couple of good bounces......right into the jar.  LOL

10 are on the same course!! Drumm Farm Golf Club.....I've probably played this course 1,000 times.

Hole#

#1.........357yd par4.  3-wood from the tee........100yd yard sand wedge in the cup.  It landed just short and hopped long.....and zipped in the back door.

#4.........356yd par4....Driver lob wedge from about 40yds.

#5.........408yd par4.....Poor drive in the left rough......150yd 9-iron in the jar.

#8.........364yd par4.....Driver sand wedge from about 50yds.

#10.......417yd par4......poor drive into the left rough..........holed a 9-iron from 150yds.

#11........348yd par4........I've eagled this hole 4 times!!  I holed a couple chips from near the green, holed from about 50yds, and drove the green and made the putt.

#16.......322yd par4.......4-iron from the tee....and holed a lob wedge from 80yds. I'm pretty sure it entered the back door.

Of the 10 par 4s on my old home course......I made a 2 on 7 of them.  LOL......IMO, that's just crazy.

Most recently last summer....I was playing a course with my dad in Ohio.  The hole played 327-335yds and a bunker fronted the right half of the green.  I don't know how, but my ball was in the rough just over the bunker.  It must have hopped over because I'm sure it didn't end up where it did on the fly......  Chip-in deuce....

What's in Paul's Bag:

I have 12 par4 eagles, and I can recall every one!  I started playing seriously in 1992 and didn't get my first par4 deuce until 2005.  It was a 451yd par4..........I hit a bad tee shot off a tree and had 228yds to the pin from the rough.  I had a decent lie and hit a 3-iron that landed short of the green and took a couple of good bounces......right into the jar.  LOL 10 are on the same course!! Drumm Farm Golf Club.....I've probably played this course 1,000 times. Hole# #1.........357yd par4.  3-wood from the tee........100yd yard sand wedge in the cup.  It landed just short and hopped long.....and zipped in the back door. #4.........356yd par4....Driver lob wedge from about 40yds. #5.........408yd par4.....Poor drive in the left rough......150yd 9-iron in the jar. #8.........364yd par4.....Driver sand wedge from about 50yds. #10.......417yd par4......poor drive into the left rough..........holed a 9-iron from 150yds. #11........348yd par4........I've eagled this hole 4 times!!  I holed a couple chips from near the green, holed from about 50yds, and drove the green and made the putt.   #16.......322yd par4.......4-iron from the tee....and holed a lob wedge from 80yds. I'm pretty sure it entered the back door.    Of the 10 par 4s on my old home course......I made a 2 on 7 of them.  LOL......IMO, that's just crazy. Most recently last summer....I was playing a course with my dad in Ohio.  The hole played 327-335yds and a bunker fronted the right half of the green.  I don't know how, but my ball was in the rough just over the bunker.  It must have hopped over because I'm sure it didn't end up where it did on the fly......  Chip-in deuce....

12 on par 4's?! That's amazing!!! How many aces?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

12 on par 4's?! That's amazing!!!

How many aces?

Thanks......if somebody told me they had 12.....I'd probably think they were full of sh!t.  LOL   I have a fun golf story to add....... I paired with another single late one afternoon who was a good player.  (we started on #10) We enjoyed each others company and we were thoroughly engrossed in quality "golf talk" conversation sharing golf stories when we made the turn to play #1...our tee shots were maybe 5 feet apart in the 1st fairway when the topic of par4 deuces came up and I mentioned that I had 10 or so at that time as we waited for the green to clear.  It was exactly then when I jarred that 100yd sand wedge....LOL    The fact that we were talking about deuces just before it happened was hilarious!!  He commented that he wasn't sure if he believed me or not....but that he believed me now.   Hahahaha.......

I've had 1 ace and I'm waiting on #2!!!   2008:   162yds 8-iron.............the green plays uphill and the pin was cut in the middle-right part of the green which sits down into a bowl so we couldn't see it drop from the tee

And HELL YES...I saved the ball and mounted it in my golf-themed bathroom down in the mancave!!

Lucky for me....... I pocketed the ball!!....... because I lost my tee shot in knee high grass on the next hole!!  LOL...thank God I wasn't playing a hacked up Top-Rock or Pinnacle!!!

.......and yes, I covered my name

What's in Paul's Bag:

I remember my first par 4 eagle was in 1984 on the short sub 300yrd #1 at Gulf Hills in Ocean Springs, MS. I was a few feet off the green and chipped in. I was pretty stoked being that I only played a few times a year. My next was a par 5 in 1987 at the old Purdue North course. It was a goat ranch and balls rolled forever. On in 2 with a short eagle putt. I don't remember the hole# and now that course is a much nicer Pete Dye Kampen course. Now that I play regularly I don't really keep track but it's several a year with most being putts. A better question would be "how many eagle putts ended up as boggies?" That's truly a humbling stat that I hate to admit to.

Short 462 yard par five.  Three wood, three woood, 4 foot eagle putt.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

• 2 months later...

Finally got my first last Saturday.   Short par 4, dogleg left.   Hit a 3W and then from 104 out hit my AW which bounced a little left of the hole and rolled in.   :)

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Note: This thread is 3879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!