IGNORED

Shafts too stiff?

Note: This thread is 4049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It may be the result of two factors other than the shaft 1) the cold weather which can have a major effect on distance and 2) maybe the higher ball flight is limiting the role (especially when it is so cold) compared to the lower trajectory of your old irons? Just a thought. either way, maybe give the new irons a fair shot when it warms up and if you are still experiencing major distance loss consider changing things up.

Swing harder, it'll solve the problem. If you cant hit the ball with a faster swing, get new lighter shafts because 100yard 9i is less than my wife hits her 9i, she has ladies flex graphite shafts..... you might need something along those lines...  The OP still didn't answer the question of what club he hit's 150 yards, and why he went with stiff flex, besides that he wanted to hit the ball further, and read on TST that people that want to hit the ball further get stiffer shafts, but that is just adding to the OP's issues.

I hit my 8i 160, i hit my wife's 8i 150, and i hit my buddies x100's 155. The only difference is the trajectory, and nowhere do i ever get 20-40 yards difference in my distance in my iron, even in the winter, unless i hit 2-3 clubs less.

I would quit buying gear and figure out your power leak, that's where the problem is (obviously) you will enjoy the game so much more.

Originally Posted by shooter

I hit my 8i 160, i hit my wife's 8i 150, and i hit my buddies x100's 155. The only difference is the trajectory, and nowhere do i ever get 20-40 yards difference in my distance in my iron, even in the winter, unless i hit 2-3 clubs less.

This is exactly why I say it is not a shaft problem.  If shooter hits an 8 iron with ladies flex 150, with stiff (?) flex 160, and with X-Stiff 155, we're looking at a 5yd or 5% difference due to the poorly fit shafts (from his ideal shaft).  And that's a really extreme difference in flex.  If Regular is right for BJ and he's hitting stiff, that won't account for hitting a 9iron 100 yards or a 4iron 150.

I dont think the rest of shooters post is accurate, because if was simply BJ's lack of swing speed or power, his HC would be a lot higher and I think he's said elsewhere that he hits his driver around 250-260.  So this isn't a lack of power issue.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

But with alot of people getting the right equipment will inspire more confidence and that could get him back the yards he wants. I vote get fitted for the right gear. Good post dsc

The OP has a driver SS of 100..really? so why cant he swing a stiff iron? makes no sense, i can hit a right handed PW more than 100 yards, and i cant hit a right handed driver period. A driver is the hardest club to hit for the majority ,but the OP doesnt, so If a short iron is suppose to be easier to hit. Then why is the OP struggling..???

Oh right, its the cold!

Good luck!

Hey maybe op has poor ball striking i know plenty of people who can crush a driver but have poor ball striking not every one is like you and can hit golf balls to the moon. Many people have differnt issues they dont come on here to ask you how far that you hit your clubs they want to know how they can get better.

What were your old clubs and what are your new clubs? Some clubs, like my Pings, are a lower loft then other makes, e.g. my pitching wedge is a 46* versus the "norm" of 48*. Obviously a lower lofted 7i will give you greater distance. If your new clubs are a higher loft you are going to get less distance all things being equal. I don't think shaft stiffness or cold weather will lessen your distance that much.

Originally Posted by cooke119

What were your old clubs and what are your new clubs? Some clubs, like my Pings, are a lower loft then other makes, e.g. my pitching wedge is a 46* versus the "norm" of 48*. Obviously a lower lofted 7i will give you greater distance. If your new clubs are a higher loft you are going to get less distance all things being equal. I don't think shaft stiffness or cold weather will lessen your distance that much.

My old clubs were Taylormade Burner Plus irons, regular flex.

With the Burner Plus irons, on an average day with average temperature, say 60 degrees, from a flat lie, I can hit the 7 iron as far as 160+.  The new irons, Taylormade Tour Preferred CB, are lighter than the old irons as well.  The swingweight is noticably lighter.  On Saturday I was also wearing 5 layers of clothing, the most I ever wore.  I was playing on a course that I never played at before either which I think was also part of the problem.

I do not know what the issue is or even if there is an issue at all.  I hear the people out there that say to get fitted for the clubs and I would love to do that, unfortunately I do not make that much money.  Getting fitted for clubs and then buying them from that place means that I would have spent almost double on these irons then what I actually spent.  They were "used" irons that are in great shape and have not seen much play at all.  I picked up 4-AW plus a SW and LW for $360 on the bay.  The clubs really are in great shape.

As for people saying that the cold weather does not have that much effect on distance......what I have experienced this winter is that the ball does not fly as far in cold conditions versus warm conditions.  With my old irons I could hit a 9 iron in the warm weather 140 if I swung hard.  Playing this winter with the old irons in about 40 degrees or thereabouts, I could have it go maybe 130 if I swung hard.  I do not have exact data but I'd say on average the cold weather usually results in a 10% loss of distance for ME.

I'm hoping to play this weekend and if I do then I am going to use the new irons again.  I want to see how they perform on my course at my country club which I am used to playing.  I can see how far they go in the cold versus the old irons and then I will have an apples to apples comparison whereas by playing last weekend at a course I never played before, I was using a rough estimate based on yardages from the course to tell how far I was hitting the ball.

I went to the stiff irons because from what I read online and with my swing speed being right around 100mph, it seemed right.  I also remember reading somewhere that if you can hit a 7 iron 150 yards on average that stiff irons are suitable.  For what it's worth, my friend that I play golf with quite a bit was there on Saturday and he also had severe distance loss with all of his clubs as well, although he was not playing brand new irons that he never played with before as I was......

Originally Posted by bjwestner

My old clubs were Taylormade Burner Plus irons, regular flex.

With the Burner Plus irons, on an average day with average temperature, say 60 degrees, from a flat lie, I can hit the 7 iron as far as 160+.  The new irons, Taylormade Tour Preferred CB, are lighter than the old irons as well.  The swingweight is noticably lighter.  On Saturday I was also wearing 5 layers of clothing, the most I ever wore.  I was playing on a course that I never played at before either which I think was also part of the problem.

The TP CB's are more of a player's style club head, compared to the SGI Burner Plus.  I still say you're probably just getting used to the new clubs, and the weather probably played some role.  But if there's a problem with the club, its more likely to be the heads than the shafts, IMO.  Only because you're going from SGI-Players Cavity.  The TP CB's should be harder to hit.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Originally Posted by dsc123

The TP CB's are more of a player's style club head, compared to the SGI Burner Plus.  I still say you're probably just getting used to the new clubs, and the weather probably played some role.  But if there's a problem with the club, its more likely to be the heads than the shafts, IMO.  Only because you're going from SGI-Players Cavity.  The TP CB's should be harder to hit.

Thanks for your feedback......Instead of rushing and doing something dumb, I'm gonna wait until the weather gets better and then see if there is an issue with the shafts or not.  I really like the club itself of the Tour Preferred.  Aside from the fact that they look better, my ball flight is much higher.  I expected that the ball flight would improve (since I was coming from clubs with a lot of offset), but I am really pleased at the height I was getting from hitting the new irons.  The heads are a bit smaller than the Burner Plus but it's not that much of a difference and I have not had any issues hitting them (outside of distance loss).  I just hope that the weather cooperates for us in the DC area this weekend so we can get out and play!

judging by your driver swing speed, stiff shafts would be fine but you need to measure your swing sped using irons. Your driver may be lightweight and hense you can produce more head speed. Go measure your swing speed again.

Good luck

Originally Posted by CanuckAaron

It may be the result of two factors other than the shaft 1) the cold weather which can have a major effect on distance and 2) maybe the higher ball flight is limiting the role (especially when it is so cold) compared to the lower trajectory of your old irons? Just a thought. either way, maybe give the new irons a fair shot when it warms up and if you are still experiencing major distance loss consider changing things up.

Bingo......update:  So I played Saturday and Sunday with the new irons.  Saturday was very cold, 32 degrees and windy.  I played my home course though........distance loss was there, but it was not just me.  Everyone had to club up.  I brought one of my old irons (7 iron) to compare.  I was hitting my old iron further.  I do not have exact numbers but I'd guess that it was about 10 yards on average further with the old irons (regular flex).

I talked to the pro at my country club about this as well.  There are a few reasons that I am not hitting the new irons as far as the old ones.  First issue has to do with the temperature.  Second issue is that I have not hit that many shots with them and am more comfortable with my old irons.  Third issue has to do with swingweight he says.  The new irons are noticably lighter than the old irons and he thinks that this is also a reason.  He says that ultimately he believes that the irons will be fine once I get used to them more and also when the weather gets warmer.  The stiff shafts obviously do not flex as much as the regular ones do and they flex even less in the weather that I have been playing in.

There was a few holes where I was able to hit the same iron that I would have used if I was playing the old irons and the results were the same (cold weather, apples v. apples comparison), so that makes me feel a lot better.

Thanks for everone's help, I appreciate it.  I am also going get fitted and have the right adjustments made.  I assume that Golf Galaxy can do this?

Originally Posted by bjwestner

Thanks for everone's help, I appreciate it.  I am also going get fitted and have the right adjustments made.  I assume that Golf Galaxy can do this?

I would highly recommend that you NOT go to GG.  They don't have very advanced equipment and will probably do no more than have you hit off a lie board. I would recommend the following, from best option to worst.

1. ask the pro at your club to do it.

2. I've heard that this is the best place in the area to go:  http://golfcarecenter.com/

3. If that's too pricey, try Olney golf park.  They charge the cost of a lesson.

4. Try golftec.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Originally Posted by dsc123

I would highly recommend that you NOT go to GG.  They don't have very advanced equipment and will probably do no more than have you hit off a lie board. ...

Which GG have you been going to? Certified and trained clubfitters at the ones I've visited, and launch monitors that don't exaggerate.

That said, bjw , if you work well with  your club pro, see if he could do it for you.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 4049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!