IGNORED

My Swing (WillM)

WillM
Note: This thread is 2809 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay great, I will see how it goes!

Also, in defense of Dan Carraher, I looked back at some of the older video I had sent him and he analyzed... I was not nearly as hunched over... somewhere something went wrong. He is a great teacher.

Just had to say my piece, clear the conscious. :-)

:titleist::vokey::edel:

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 8.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... 3-wood: Titleist 915 Fd 13.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 19o w/ X-flex Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec HB 8.8 ... Driving Iron: Titleist T-MB 3-iron w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 1o flat) ... 4-6: Titleist 716 CB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... 7-PW: Titleist 716 MB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... GW: Vokey 52.12 F grind w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (2o flat) ... LW: Vokey 58.08 M grind w/ TT DG S400 (2o flat) Putter: 34" Edel McKenzie

Here are FO and DTL swings from today.

Two days later and I am laid off again, I am really comfortable in that position. Swing is looking good though, back still hurts... hopefully I'll get used to it.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 8.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... 3-wood: Titleist 915 Fd 13.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 19o w/ X-flex Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec HB 8.8 ... Driving Iron: Titleist T-MB 3-iron w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 1o flat) ... 4-6: Titleist 716 CB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... 7-PW: Titleist 716 MB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... GW: Vokey 52.12 F grind w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (2o flat) ... LW: Vokey 58.08 M grind w/ TT DG S400 (2o flat) Putter: 34" Edel McKenzie

Two days later and I am laid off again, I am really comfortable in that position. Swing is looking good though, back still hurts... hopefully I'll get used to it.

Set-up isn't quite as good as from a couple days ago.

Screen_Shot_2015-10-29_at_5.49.07_PM.thu

I also think part of the laid off "problem" is a turning rates issue. Just gotta keep the torso moving longer on the backswing. You're a bit under-turned at A4.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...

Haven't been on in a while... just thought I would share what I think is the purest swing I have a ever filmed.

Sure the posture isn't perfect and the clubface is a little bit closed going back but in terms of macro things I have been working on this is so much better.

Edited by WillM

• Administrator

Nice work. What are you working on?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yeah nice improvements with the hand path and shaft movement from backswing to downswing. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I am working on getting my shoulders to rotate perpendicular to my spine in my backswing... I just started working on it last week so it might be awhile before anything really improves. It is really, really hard to work on too.

I have found that the issue is mostly I am a bit inflexible in my rotation. I can do the typical club across the shoulders just fine but when I get my left arm extended away from my like I am holding a club, I can't rotate nearly as far back. So part of the keeping my shoulders working the right way leads to a shorter swing which is a bit uncomfortable (throws off timing, etc).

The drill I am actually doing is sticking an alignment stick through the back of my shirt, parallel to my shoulder plane and trying to point it at the ball when I swing.

I am also going to start working on posture a bit again. Seeing the ball out of central vision and rounding the upper back mostly. I started doing it today and was flushing it again for the first time in a few months.

Edited by WillM

Posture looks better here.

Shoulder plane a bit worse, you can see I am getting a little pulled out of posture at the top of my backswing. I'd say it is better than what it was a few months ago but still far from what you see with many tour players. I mentioned the weird alignment stick in my shirt drill in my previous post but that is awkward and cumbersome. I haven't really found a drill or feeling that I like that will help this. @iacas you have been riding me forever about this... any new thoughts?

Is it even worth it to obsess over this spine angle/shoulder plane issue?

• Administrator
9 hours ago, WillM said:

Posture looks better here.

Shoulder plane a bit worse, you can see I am getting a little pulled out of posture at the top of my backswing. I'd say it is better than what it was a few months ago but still far from what you see with many tour players. I mentioned the weird alignment stick in my shirt drill in my previous post but that is awkward and cumbersome. I haven't really found a drill or feeling that I like that will help this. @iacas you have been riding me forever about this... any new thoughts?

Is it even worth it to obsess over this spine angle/shoulder plane issue?

Riding you about what? :-) Your posture does look good here if that's what you meant. Shoulder tilts at A4 look okay too.

What's your miss and your desired shot right now?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Riding you about what? :-) Your posture does look good here if that's what you meant. Shoulder tilts at A4 look okay too.

What's your miss and your desired shot right now?

The whole shoulder plane and spine angle thing! I think you have made 2-3 posts about it in this thread haha

My miss is a straight push that will occasionally turn into a fade. You can see that I get a little under plane in the downswing. I like to play a little draw but am really looking for something that will curve consistently, draw or fade... I think this is what you call Key #5? Clubface control?

• Administrator
4 hours ago, WillM said:

The whole shoulder plane and spine angle thing! I think you have made 2-3 posts about it in this thread haha

My miss is a straight push that will occasionally turn into a fade. You can see that I get a little under plane in the downswing. I like to play a little draw but am really looking for something that will curve consistently, draw or fade... I think this is what you call Key #5? Clubface control?

Yeah, or #4 - maybe your path isn't out to the right enough. Do you have any FlightScope/Trackman numbers?

Unfortunately I do not :/ and I do not have access to one either. D3 golf is not the same as D1...

• 5 months later...
(edited)

It's been awhile! Somehow I always leave this site, thinking I have golf figured out and come running back because inevitably something goes wrong. Short update, I am no longer playing for Occidental College, I did not like the school and decided to leave. I am still stuck between a 0 and a 1 handicap... got down to a +0.6 at the beginning of summer but slowly drifted back to 0.

As for the swing, there are good things and bad things. You won't like my posture, sorry but I'm not messing with it this time around. I hate to be that student but it's consistent and comfortable and not so far wrong that it's causing problems. I think you will find some other changes that are good, I have been working on keeping my right knee flex in the backswing and getting the loop out of my swing at the top of the backswing.

At first blush, it looks fantastic, nothing wrong with it. Upon closer review and comparison with many of the top ball strikers, I think my hips are not rotating fast enough in the downswing (sidenote: I am going to use a K-vest soon to confirm this suspicion) and it is causing my arms to chase down the line instead of moving left, it shows up as my right arm separating from my body thru impact at the armpit. It is subtle but it is there, go look a video of Adam Scott or Henrik Stenson and you'll see what I mean. Despite the apparent beauty of the swing, I still do not have any consistency. I've been hitting pulls and pushes, draws and fades.

So I am back, looking for some tips to get the club moving more left after impact and to get my hips rotating more. Any suggestions?

The goal of these changes is to hit the ball with the "big" muscles instead of the "little" ones, to promote more consistency.

Edited by WillM

Note: This thread is 2809 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!