IGNORED

taking advice from your golfing buddies, and it seems bad advice

Note: This thread is 4075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi, newbie here, started playing last year, had a break due to several factors.. Anyway, back into it again, had my first round with some friends, and they were offering advice, that I thought goes against everything (or as little) that I have learnt from a coach I took a few lessons with (am learning the right sided swing technique, on account of what my coach showed me,I personally like the philosophy behind it as well).. The advice was ranging from move this foot back, or bring your legs almost together, to forget about practise swings.. ????? I wasn't hitting the ball well in truth, but have an understanding of what I need to do, just can't put it into place at present.. Time to time I get it right though.

Anyway, I politely thanked them for it, and tried to explain what I was trying to do, and that it doesn't keep with what I have been taught.. I think they thought I was being a little snotty, but that couldn't be further from the truth, as I do appreciate help and suggestions, I just thought this advice was not in keeping with the technique that I was being taught..

My buddies all range from 14-23 handicaps by the way..

Any ideas on how to handle this, or has anyone experienced this themselves. Love to read any thoughts on the subject.

Cheers guys.

I don't have any advice regarding the techniques, but this is how I practice and it works for me... Hope it help you put together what you know you need to do into you swings.

Seperate your swing into small parts, takeaway, backswing, shift weight and bring the grip to your right thigh, release to impact, impact to finish releasing, continue follow through... like that... with or without the club doesn't matter.

Do them slooooooooowly, with a lot of repititions, I start my practice session with stretching, then do 50 slow takeaway, then 50 slow backswing, then 50 begin of downswing...

After all of them done, I must be done like 300 takeaways, 250 backswings... so on...

Once you feel like you have master something, do it faster to get to the checkpoint and slow down to continue...

Then I begin hitting balls, three slow practice swings before hitting one ball.

It take me 4 hours to finish hitting 150 balls.

Granted, I only start practicing like this for about a week, before that I hit balls at the range like golf is a game of rapid firing. Obviously it didn't work. This, I must say, works. I almost have a perfect takeaway, long way to go but I'll get there.

Sounds like you did all you can do. Thank them politely and forget their advice as soon as you can. I'm sure they were well-intentioned, but if you have a coach that you like and you are working on specific things with him, don't pay any attention to unsolicited advice.

You could always post a couple of your swings in the Member Swings thread  if you are looking for some more feedback

Driver - Titleist 913D2 10.5* 3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 3 15* Hybrid - Ping G20 20* Hybrid - Ping G20 23* Irons - Ping i20 5-PW KBS Tour Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM4 50* 54* 58* Putter - Tom Slighter Snubnose

I'm of the opinion that no matter the handicap of your playing partners they can't fix your swing no matter the tip. The swing you have on the day is the same swing you have been playing with for some time. In fact the only way to truly get a better swing is in regimented practise. Plus what you are working on may possibly conflict with what your golf buddies tell you. One of my friends asked me before the round whether I wanted him to say anything and I said no for the above reasons. In fact he said one thing after I shanked an iron into the trees,that he could see me forcing my swing on that shot and simply said relax and forget what happened because I was playing well and didn't want me to ruin my round. As a rule of thumb though being given tips by friends on the course will more than likely make you worse particularly if they are technical in nature

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Golf Teachers all have different tips on how to hit the ball.  If I was shankin the ball all over the place, I would take advice from anyone.  If I'm gonna shoot 110 and you can save me 5-6 shots, I'm definitely gonna listen. Good question....

best tip ive ever had from a pro, put rt. foot over left and hit 8 irons off a mat or very low tee. get good at this then get a lesson. been doing this over 20yrs whenever my swing gets off. you have to be in balance and tempo and if you come over the top you will fall down, it will get you close enough a pro can help you faster at least in my case.

Played with the same guys today. shot my PB  today, I'm so happy.. I had been taught the right sided technique, and I thought it was great in the past despite stiffness in back afterwards, this week, Iforgot about it, after viewing Golf for Dummies (don't laugh), best thing I ever did was to conform to traditional golf swing.. Watchd a few You Tube vides(Clem Shaw brilliant strasight forward vids) and shaved off close to a shot per hole....

Even listened to mates, they only suggested a few things.. Very common sense,,,

So what I have I learnt today, get rid of right sided swing theory, play traditionally, and listen to mates (on occasion)..

A very humbling experience, and a good one..

I'm so hooked into golf, it's a bit of an OCD disorder now.. Damn does that mean I have the dreaded "golf bug"??

Note: This thread is 4075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!