IGNORED

Idea for a golf related business

KiawahConnor
Note: This thread is 4078 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

ok so tell me if you think this is a bad or good idea for a business:

a sort of golf course member/guest matching site where, if a person really wants to play a course but they aren't able to afford the membership, members who aren't opposed to having a random guest come play with them can arrange for the person to play a round with them, for a fee. Like they pay the guest rate, plus pay the member for the opportunity to play.

I feel like this is a good idea. My roommate is from greenville sc and his family lives in Thornblade, a really nice golf neighborhood and home to the Haas family, but my roommates family arent members of the club so he cant even play the course. i just feel like there would be a nice person who would enjoy the company during a round of golf.

so let me know what you think about my idea, and if you live in Thornblade, lets play golf haha

or Forest Lake club....

At a private course, it is highly unlikely that a member would need an outsider to play with. We have a hard enough time getting people to play in our monthly mens club events if they cant choose their own foursome.

Also some private clubs have restrictions on when guests can play. Other private clubs will let a guest on without the member at a slightly higher rate - so as a business, I dont see it being anything that will get off of the ground.

Hate to say it, but if you cant afford to join, you really shouldnt be playing there.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I get what you're saying but for a you get guy like myself in college, if I get birthday money or something and want to play a really nice golf course, just because I can't pay the 50k initiation doesn't mean I can't pay 200 or something to play with a member.

The other issue that comes to mind is that my understanding is that, at most clubs, the member is responsible for the behavior of the guest. Why would I want to take that risk for a stranger?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Originally Posted by KiawahConnor

I get what you're saying but for a you get guy like myself in college, if I get birthday money or something and want to play a really nice golf course, just because I can't pay the 50k initiation doesn't mean I can't pay 200 or something to play with a member.

I was really just knocking the business idea - you can get on some nice private courses without knowing someone that plays there. Sometimes its a head pro or instructor at your course that can get you in.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

People pay $50k to be a member of a private club so they don't have to play with people who can't afford $50k......

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

True. Ok bad idea I get it

Don't give up that entrepreneurial spirit. Just because one idea doesn't pan out, doesn't mean that the next great thing isn't right around the corner. Keep at it! :-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator

There are already things like this out there.

Here's one: http://thesandtrap.com/b/courses/boxgroovecom_review .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Speaking as a guy whose parents and brother belong to nice expensive private clubs in the Carolina's.....don't do it. After playing there courses its really hard to go home to the Midwest and play public or mini courses. Even the top courses around here can't compare to the conditions or pampering of the privates.

Note: This thread is 4078 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!