IGNORED

Cleveland CG12 Zip Wedges... Don't

Note: This thread is 6121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I've been testing and am currently writing up a review of Cleveland's new CG12 wedges with "Zip Grooves."

They seem to produce noticeably less spin than even a worn-in Vokey spin-milled wedge. In fact, they don't seem to produce any more spin than a CG11.

Not once did I back a ball up more than a few inches. I've pulled balls back 20+ feet before with my other wedges.

Just wondering if anyone else has any contrary opinions. I'm pretty firmly set in mine - I tested them in plenty of conditions and gave them a full month of golf - but I'm still curious.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

hahahaha. I think I can pull my driver back further than those. I demoed them once and nothing special.For them going up the USGA's ass, they really don't help anything.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

• Administrator
hahahaha. I think I can pull my driver back further than those. I demoed them once and nothing special.For them going up the USGA's ass, they really don't help anything.

Let's limit the swearing, ok?

Back to topic now...

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

i demo'ed these things and i found the same thing. i know the grooves are a lot larger in volume but for some reason the edge grooves definetly dont feel as sharp.

driver: Burner TP 9.5 S
FWY Wood: 906F2 15.5*
hybrid: Idea Pro 18*
irons: MP-57 3-W
Wedges: X-Forged 56, 60 Putter: Anser Redwood Putter Black Series i #9

My favorite is still the 588 gunmetal, I spun that more than the CG12.

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

i demo'ed these things and i found the same thing. i know the grooves are a lot larger in volume but for some reason the edge grooves definetly dont feel as sharp.

I think you have it figured out. The golfsmith balls that they have to test when I got my first spin milled they left ball shaped cover pieces. When my friend test hit the zip wedges nothing. So I thought he was just not getting good contact. Not the case. Dissappointing day for him, he likes the 588's, but I converted him to a tour chrome spin milled.

I've tried the CG12 (albeit only a little), the CG11 and I've had a couple CG10's in my bag most of the year and I seem to keep coming back to my 588 Gunmetal wedges. They have got to be the best, most consistant wedge I've ever played. I actually have taken the 588 Gunmetal, CG10 and a demo CG12 to the practice green and I really can't really tell a ton of difference performance wise, and my 588 Gunmetal SW grooves are kinda worn. I'd love to take the CG12 on the course for a bunch of rounds but from what I have noticed from a little practice with one is that it's a good all around wedge but if it's spin you're looking for then you may be disappointed. However, spinning a ball back 20 ft. would be the last thing I'd look for in a wedge.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I've tried the CG12 (albeit only a little), the CG11 and I've had a couple CG10's in my bag most of the year and I seem to keep coming back to my 588 Gunmetal wedges. They have got to be the best, most consistant wedge I've ever played. I actually have taken the 588 Gunmetal, CG10 and a demo CG12 to the practice green and I really can't really tell a ton of difference performance wise, and my 588 Gunmetal SW grooves are kinda worn. I'd love to take the CG12 on the course for a bunch of rounds but from what I have noticed from a little practice with one is that it's a good all around wedge but if it's spin you're looking for then you may be disappointed. However, spinning a ball back 20 ft. would be the last thing I'd look for in a wedge.

With my wedges it's not spin I look for but the ability to check the ball and I found that even just getting it to check was a lot tougher with the cg12. Currently I play the Ping tour wedges with the black nickel finish and I can't get those to spin very well either but at least the ball will stop where i would like it to.

driver: Burner TP 9.5 S
FWY Wood: 906F2 15.5*
hybrid: Idea Pro 18*
irons: MP-57 3-W
Wedges: X-Forged 56, 60 Putter: Anser Redwood Putter Black Series i #9

i just got a CG10 today and i can stop it without any problems, true i cant suck it back 20 feet but its pretty rare i NEED to. i put a few shots today from about 50 yards out within 4 feet, thats something i havent done before with my old wedge. iacus i know you like the vokey spin milled wedges but others may be open to something else. i didnt want a wedge that was gonna eat the cover off my balls, the spin milled like they could. im happy with my purchase, thanks for your review.

In my wasabe green ozone bag:

Hibore 9.5° w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft Driver

G10 15° 1H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft G10 18° 2H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft T-Zoid Pro 3-PW S300 CG10 52° 2 Dot Black Pearl CG10 56° 2 Dot Black Pearl Newport 2 TerylliumLow Score = 88

i just got a CG10 today and i can stop it without any problems, true i cant suck it back 20 feet but its pretty rare i NEED to. i put a few shots today from about 50 yards out within 4 feet, thats something i havent done before with my old wedge. iacus i know you like the vokey spin milled wedges but others may be open to something else. i didnt want a wedge that was gonna eat the cover off my balls, the spin milled like they could. im happy with my purchase, thanks for your review.

iacas is definitely pro Titleist but he's talking about the CG12 wedges with the new "zip grooves", not the CG10, made out of the Carbon Metal Matrix.

• Administrator
iacas is definitely pro Titleist but he's talking about the CG12 wedges with the new "zip grooves", not the CG10, made out of the Carbon Metal Matrix.

Right. They are supposed to be "super-spinny" grooves and I'm not finding them to be. My review will appear next week.

I just finished writing up the look. They look good, not like the Cleveland spoons of old... they just don't perform like I'd expect.

Erik...why don't you send them to me and I'll see what I can do with them.

Thanks

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

• Administrator
Erik...why don't you send them to me and I'll see what I can do with them.

Sure: $75 apiece, shipped.

54 with 12 and a 60 with 10, I believe.

Right. They are supposed to be "super-spinny" grooves and I'm not finding them to be. My review will appear next week.

Yeah, it didn't seem to spin any more than my other Cleveland wedges but again, I hardly had enough practice time to form a solid evaluation. I look forward to your review. Oh... what model(s) would be the spoons?

What is the best wedge for spin, besides the Vokey?

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

I'd be really curious to see how these perform out of rough. From a purely theoretical perspective they should be able to deal with debris much better if they have a wider groove.

What is the best wedge for spin, besides the Vokey?

I hear Callaway MD's are pretty good as well as TM Y-cutters as well.... There's also the Wishon CX-Micro as well if you're into components. Based on test results (by a single digit golf enthusiast on a launch monitor) I've seen they can pretty much dish it up to anything else in the market.... Like over 'spinny' wedges though they can tear balls up pretty quickly though....

Note: This thread is 6121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!