IGNORED

Blade irons

keller19xc
Note: This thread is 3851 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Adam Scott plays blades...

Apparently you were unable to infer from my post where I say "75% of major winners don't play blades," and then list 3 of 4 (75%), leaving out Adam Scott, that I already knew that.

After the fact, somebody pointed out that Justin Rose, may, in fact, play blades as well, so if that is true, I'd revise my number to 50%.

Also, I don't know if you have ever hit the x-forged irons but they basically plays like blades (and I think that Mickelson plays a progressive set...)

I have and they are fantastic.  But we weren't really talking about what is "blade-like", (because you could also make a case for AP2's playing like blades as well) we were talking about actual old-school blades. :)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Apparently you were unable to infer from my post where I say "75% of major winners don't play blades," and then list 3 of 4 (75%), leaving out Adam Scott, that I already knew that. After the fact, somebody pointed out that Justin Rose, may, in fact, play blades as well, so if that is true, I'd revise my number to 50%. I have and they are fantastic.  But we weren't really talking about what is "blade-like", (because you could also make a case for AP2's playing like blades as well) we were talking about actual old-school blades. :)

I always thought you knew Adam Scott plays blades, I just assumed you didn't know who won the Masters. :-) Believe Rosie plays Rocketbladez Tour. Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure. I'm also pretty sure they are about as close to a blade as they are to a rocket. AP2s have a classic shape, but they are definitely not blades. The MOI across the face is much higher. I played blades most of my life, and switched to the AP2 from a Mizzy forged cavity, and there is a discernible difference in launch angle and distance on thin and toe hits.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Apparently you were unable to infer from my post where I say "75% of major winners don't play blades," and then list 3 of 4 (75%), leaving out Adam Scott, that I already knew that. After the fact, somebody pointed out that Justin Rose, may, in fact, play blades as well, so if that is true, I'd revise my number to 50%. I have and they are fantastic.  But we weren't really talking about what is "blade-like", (because you could also make a case for AP2's playing like blades as well) we were talking about actual old-school blades. :)

Sorry bro, misunderstood the post... prob cause I thought that Phil was still playing blades. Correct me if I'm wrong though, doesn't Phil play a progressive set?

Sorry bro, misunderstood the post... prob cause I thought that Phil was still playing blades. Correct me if I'm wrong though, doesn't Phil play a progressive set?

They're pretty close, but not blades. And I guess GD was only half right about Rosie. [URL]http://www.golfchannel.com/news/equipment-insider/whats-in-the-bag-justin-rose-us-open-2013/[/URL]

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Al[quote name="k-troop" url="/t/65977/blade-irons/90#post_893495"] They're pretty close, but not blades. And I guess GD was only half right about Rosie. [URL]http://www.golfchannel.com/news/equipment-insider/whats-in-the-bag-justin-rose-us-open-2013/[/URL][/quote]all I know is that they dare sexy

Al

all I know is that they dare sexy

Actually i find them not to appealing looking. Not a big fan of the X in the back. I am a Mizuno guy when it comes to looks. They are just a work of art. Though the Cleveland 588 CB's are a pretty club as well. I like the dull grey look on them, nothing worse than looking down an iron on a bright sunny day and be blinded by the chrome finish. There's a reason why the Ping i20 driver, with its Matte black finish, is the best looking driver on the market, and its anti-glare.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Actually i find them not to appealing looking. Not a big fan of the X in the back.

I agree.  Way too much going on; the X is too much, the different textures are too busy; even the Callaway logo is hard to look at for me.  I've played Callaway clubs more than any other brand, but its not because of their style sense.

I have a set of their muscle back "prototype", but with a 5 Razr X replacement.  The simple prototypes look so much better.

Quite possibly.  Not really sure.  I was basically just trying to point out to Nick that A LOT of pros don't play blades.  I may have guessed wrong on a couple of them, though.

Al

all I know is that they dare sexy

Totally agree.  Hey, any idea why so many of your posts end up with one or two letters above the quote, and then the rest below?  It's really goofy. ;)

Actually i find them not to appealing looking. Not a big fan of the X in the back. I am a Mizuno guy when it comes to looks. They are just a work of art.

I agree.  Way too much going on; the X is too much, the different textures are too busy; even the Callaway logo is hard to look at for me.

I think Callaway has put out some pretty ugly irons in the past ... but these ones, I think, look pretty good.  Of course, it's really neither here nor there since you're not seeing any of that when you are addressing the ball though, right?

If I'm just choosing clubs based on sexiness, then my vote goes to the Titleist MBs.  Me want.  (Or, I could just tape a picture of Kate Upton to the back of my Pings.  That would work too, no?) ;)

Not a big fan of the callaway game improvement irons but I love all the players irons. Have any of y'all heared of the callaway blades though?

But check out how much better they looked before Callaway started messing with it by putting the stupid Razr X name and logo on it

Totally agree.  Hey, any idea why so many of your posts end up with one or two letters above the quote, and then the rest below?  It's really goofy. ;)

I can answer that. Nick, wait for the quoted text to finish loading before you start typing. I'd also recommend giving your post a once over before hitting reply. You post good comments but they're usually a mess of typos, it makes you look goofy. :-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

You just know... I wouldn't consider them until you can consistently hit the sweet spot on your irons. You can always grab an old 7 iron and take it to the range to practice. That will give you good feedback.

This is what I do. I have an old Arnold Palmer Charger II bladed 7-iron that I practice with.

There's a burning sensation in your wallet . . .

Yep, just dropped 750 for a custom set of MP-59's. Oh yea that credit card was smoking in the wallet after it was swiped through the machine.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Yep, just dropped 750 for a custom set of MP-59's. Oh yea that credit card was smoking in the wallet after it was swiped through the machine.

But what about the new MP-4s that are coming out soon???

But what about the new MP-4s that are coming out soon???

They aren't the MP-59's. MP-59's have a bit more forgiveness to them with the different weighting in the back due to the titanium insert. MP-4's will basically be just a muscle back club. Also, MP 59's were 200 dollars off :)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 3851 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!