• Announcements

• iacas

GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mchichioco

Spin on Approach Shots

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm 15 and a freshman in highschool. My handicap is 14.7 and I have been playing for 2 years and I love the game. Usually from 150 yards to the green I feel confident I can hit the green, however I always aim for the "fattest" part of the green, which leaves me with monster putts. When im not on my "A" game with putting I set my self up for disaster. How can I get more spin so I can aim for the pin without worrying about rolling off or missing short, or long and into trouble. From about 110 yards or less I can get a good amount of spin that I can attack the pin. But what are some ways I can get more spin on my longer irons so I can lower my score? Thanks :)

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I'm not even going to try to answer your question....

.....because I want you to continue aiming for the fat of the green and not for silly pins.  You'll beat a lot of people if you just keep doing that!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by David in FL

I'm not even going to try to answer your question....

.....because I want you to continue aiming for the fat of the green and not for silly pins.  You'll beat a lot of people if you just keep doing that!

He's right!

Without seeing your swing, I imagine that you don't take divots or your divots are very small... A great divot hits it's low point about 3-4 inches in front of the ball, because of a good downward strike.

I would continue to work on hitting the middle/fat of the green though. 14 gir with long putts will beat 7-8 gir with sometimes short putts. (just get it on the green and get good at lag putting! :) )

Alright :) I mean I don't take a ton of divots and my miss hits are usually low bullets. I guess I can stick to lag putting but it would be nice to be able to convert some birdies! Haha thanks for the input though!

Originally Posted by mchichioco

Alright :) I mean I don't take a ton of divots and my miss hits are usually low bullets. I guess I can stick to lag putting but it would be nice to be able to convert some birdies! Haha thanks for the input though!

I hear that! haha.

But if you don't take much divot, and you miss with low bullets, there are a ton of explanations on getting the club bottoming out after the ball on this site, what it feels like, etc etc. Looks up the 5SK (5 swing keys). Super helpful.

With a 14.7 handicap, definitely work on pars, then worry about birdies :)

And remember, they put the pin in the center of the green too.....:-)

Haha you do have a good point there! The other day in a match I had a 5 footer for birdie and I missed.. But the hole before it I made a 30 footer for Par haha :) oh well.. I still shot 41(5 over) in 9 holes! But the reason i hit it thin I think is because I'm turning my hips too fast for my hands which causes a pull or thin shot... My setup is also a bit wide but ill work on that at our practice at the range today.. Thanks ill make sure to check out 5SK

Haha you do have a good point there!

The other day in a match I had a 5 footer for birdie and I missed.. But the hole before it I made a 30 footer for Par haha :) oh well.. I still shot 41(5 over) in 9 holes!

But the reason i hit it thin I think is because I'm turning my hips too fast for my hands which causes a pull or thin shot... My setup is also a bit wide but ill work on that at our practice at the range today.. Thanks ill make sure to check out 5SK

And start a my swing thread! I think almost everyone here would love to help out a young high school golfer.

Ok! Ill get a friend to video tape me during practice :) ill only be able to get a DTL though.. How will I be able to post the video here from an iPhone video though?

Ok! Ill get a friend to video tape me during practice :) ill only be able to get a DTL though.. How will I be able to post the video here from an iPhone video though?

might have to email it to yourself. But you should be able to connect your phone to a computer with your charger cable and put it on here.

From the iPhone you can publish the video straight to YouTube. Touch the the little forward icon (looks like a bent arrow kinda??) and select YouTube. Once it's uploaded you can paste the URL into your post.

But I would have to upload it to YouTube right?

Yes but you can set it to Unlisted so only people hanging out here can see it. You can also delete it or set it to private I'd you ever want to remove it from this forum.

Let me know if you have trouble doing it.

Thanks, I heard something about a rules page for my swing? Where can I find that? Sorry for all the questions haha

Try starting a new thread in the "members swings" forum, I believe the rules pop up in your post but I'm not sure. Rules are for suckers ;-)