IGNORED

Golf is a strange game...

ILLZ
Note: This thread is 6109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yesterday I went out and put down a 39 on the front... my best 9 hole score by 2 (previously I've shot a 41 and a bunch of 42's). I was elated, I told every starter and ranger as we made the turn. I could smell 85. Then on the back it fell apart and I turned in a 52 for a 91! Ridiculous. 12 strokes difference?

Home Course:
Town of Colonie (69.7-70.1, 119-125)

It happens.... try and build on that 39. It probably didn't help that you were telling everyone and it was clearly on your mind. I'm sure you put a lot of pressure on yourself.

My best 9 hole score is a 34 (many years ago) and I backed that up with a 47

It sounds cliche but focusing on one shot at a time is very helpful. The best 18 hole rounds I've had are when I'm just playing golf, writing down the score and adding them up when I'm done.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

That's why I never add up my score until I'm done. I usually have a pretty good idea when I'm scoring well but it's easier to play one-shot-at-a-time when I don't add the pressure of trying to keep a good score going.

Of course my buddies up north knew this and always added up the scores and made sure to tell me at the turn

Chris

What's in the bag?
Taylormade R7 Superquad
TaylorMade Burner 3W & 5W
Hogan Edge Hybrid 21*
Mizuno MX20 4-PWCleveland 588 GW & CG10 SWOdyssey 2-Ball Center ShaftTitleist NXT Tour

Oh, it's just golf. I went out in 41 in my club championship, and dumped the back side with a 56. Just the other day, I racked up a 48 on the front, and came back with a 37. On the same course, where the front is considerably easier than the back.

It's just a case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, I'm afraid.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

you wanna talk about strange,

after shooting 68 on friday, i played on sunday and came out playing bogey golf through 8 with 1 birdie and 2 doubles and no pars.

Birdied 9, then had no pars until the 17th hole, I had 6 birdies on the back nine with 1 par a bogey and a double, to shoot -3 33 for a +4 76 with 1 par. I only hit 9 greens, but made 8 birdies, it was pretty sick. Good thing we were playing skins in my group and i racked up plenty of money from it.

edit: a good thing that you want to work on when doing stuff like you did is try your best to learn from what you were thinking and what went wrong, so youll take some positive out of it. If you feel yourself getting anxious/excited/or nervous and you know it doesnt help your game, concentrate on your breathing and it helps a lot.

This is obviously not out of the ordinary by any means, for any golfer. I think it happened mainly because I was so emotionally deflated from the front 9. I parred 1 and 2, bogeyed 3, and parred 4, Walking to the 5th tee I'm thinking about how it's set up to be a great round. Parred the 5th, bogeyed 6, parred 7. Now I KNOW it's an outstanding round. Bogey on 8. So I'm standing on 9 tee knowing I need a par for 39. Play it safe and hit hybrid off the tee, in the right rough about 165 out. I hit a 5 iron just off the green. Played a nice little bump and run to about 5 feet and drained the putt. I was so elated that the back 9 was almost an afterthought.

Home Course:
Town of Colonie (69.7-70.1, 119-125)

I feel ya man...had this happen so many times..

all i gotta say is your not alone

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

isn't it strange that it seems very few times we can put together a good 18 holes.....either the front was bad, or the back was awful....

believe this or not, 2 weeks ago I went out and shot a 44 on the front.....then turned right around and posted a 54 on the back, I was thinking about my score to much.

so 2 days after that I go back and only play 9, I didn't even keep score, (no pressure what so ever) and just by hits alone, I know my score was decent, but there was no pressure to beat a certain score or anything like that, so a week after that I went and played 18, and shot a 87.....41front, 46back.....I was pleased...sometimes just go out there and don't even keep score, it seems to help me...I'm going Friday and no plans to keep score, just working and having fun

I know what you mean. I have a younger brother(junior in HS, I'm going to be a freshman in college) who I played with last night and he shot a 33 compared to my 43. Add in the fact that he hadn't played for three weeks while I have missed a night in a month and there's a slap in the face. We're also equally talented in golf I think but it just happens that when he gets going, watch out.
My Clubs
Driver: HiBore XL 10.5*
3-Wood: SS-01
Hybrid: 503H 22*
Irons: Deep Red II TourSand Wedge: CG10 56*Lob Wedge: CG10 60*Putter: V Foil GT M6.4KBall: ProV1

Haha... I know just how you feel. I've shot 73 as a 33-40. An 81 as a 44-37. And shot a 159 in a two day-er with a 73-86...

In my bag:
Driver: Launcher COMP 9.5* (Aldila NV 65S 350)
Fairway wood: Warbird 4-wood
Irons: X-18 Pro Series (3-PW)
Wedges: Vokey 252.08 and SM58.12Ball: Pro V1

A similar thing I've noticed is that after hitting a fantastic drive, I'm more prone to a weak 2nd shot. Also after a weak drive, I'll crank out a great hole-saving 2nd shot.
Strange game for sure.

My 14 Clubs
1W TM R1
3W 5W TM RBZ pro
P-4 Irons Mizuno MP54

#17 is a long par 3 over water which I have played over twenty times. The last few times I've played that hole I've hit the green or came very close each time.
Yesterday while I'm driving to the course, for some inexplicable reason, I suddenly picture myself chunking a ball off the tee into the water. WTF! When I get to 17 tee I'm one up in a friendly but very competitive match and you know what happens! Topped shot into the water. Livid, I re-tee and lay one out there fifteen feet from the pin. Golf is strange - yes - but my brain is even stranger. dayll

Yep. It's a very strange game. But people are even stranger.

Why when we are playing so great, do we start then thinking about what we're doing. Who hasn't heard that you're supposed to play one shot at a time and not worry about your score?

I guess we've all experienced doing what we're not supposed to do. I shot even par on my home course for the front 9 a few weeks back, and then inexplicably shoot 8 over for the back 9. And naturally the back 9 is easier than the front.

To add insult to injury, a couple days later, I decide to play the back 9 first, and shoot a pretty good 6 over. Moving on to the front 9 I shoot even par through 7. Standing on the tee box of 8, I decide to add up my scores. Elated that I'm actually doing very well, I say to myself, don't mess this up. Naturally I shank the ball off onto the previous fair way for a bogey, followed by a double on 9.

Gotta love it.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

• Administrator
Why when we are playing so great, do we start then thinking about what we're doing. Who hasn't heard that you're supposed to play one shot at a time and not worry about your score?

I can think about the score I'm shooting and not have it affect me, or at least have it affect me in a good way (i.e. "I'm playing well, no need to go for easy birdies at the last three holes" or whatever).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looking around at the score card can definately affect my game but I've been trying to overcome this habit lately. I played a strange round yesterday where my front nine was just terrible... I think I played the front 10 over. Then come around the back and go even. Fun game...

if theres anything I need to work on, outside of the swing, is dealing with playing partners. My partner yesterday who I was paired up with hooked a drive on the 3rd hole and snapped his driver over a bench. It rattled me... why, I have no idea. Thats the sort of stuff I need to work on, playing with so many strange characters at my cheap local munis.

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Ya its crazy, best ive posted on the front was 38. And on the back a 36, but not on the same day. I need par on the last hole for a 79 last week. Big mistake. I bogeyed, why? Because i counted my score at the tee on 18.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I do that all the time, especially with a tough finishing hole... stand on the tee, alright put it down the middle, whoops pull left in the rough

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Note: This thread is 6109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!