• Announcements

• iacas

GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jimp59

Out of Bounds - Re teeing

7 posts in this topic

What is the ruling regarding this situation. My friend hit his ball out of bounds from the tee box. He re-tees and while addressing his ball, he accidentally knocks the ball of the tee with his club. Is the ball considered in play since he hit his first shot OB? Does it count as a stroke? Does he play it as it lies or does he get to re-tee with no penalty since he had no intent to hit it? What is the ruling? Thanks

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

11-3 Ball Falling off Tee If a ball, when not in play, falls off a tee or is knocked off a tee by the player in addressing it, it may be re-teed, without penalty. However, if a stroke is made at the ball in these circumstances, whether the ball is moving or not, the stroke counts, but there is no penalty. The definition of in play is as follows: Ball In Play Definition A ball is"in play" as soon as the player has made a stroke on the teeing ground. It remains in play until it is holed, except when it is lost, out of bounds or lifted, or another ball has been substituted, whether or not the substitution is permitted; a ball so substituted becomes the ball in play. So the second ball is not in play until a stroke has been made at it and may be re-teed.

Originally Posted by Mordan

11-3 Ball Falling off Tee

If a ball, when not in play, falls off a tee or is knocked off a tee by the player in addressing it, it may be re-teed, without penalty. However, if a stroke is made at the ball in these circumstances, whether the ball is moving or not, the stroke counts, but there is no penalty.

The definition of in play is as follows:

Ball In Play

Definition

A ball is"in play" as soon as the player has made a stroke on the teeing ground. It remains in play until it is holed, except when it is lost, out of bounds or lifted, or another ball has been substituted, whether or not the substitution is permitted; a ball so substituted becomes the ball in play.

So the second ball is not in play until a stroke has been made at it and may be re-teed.

I can see where the OP's question arises, though. His friend has already "made a stroke" on the teeing ground, just at another ball. The wording of that definition could possibly be improved, i.e. "A ball is 'in play' as soon as the player has made a stroke at it on the teeing ground."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Stretch

I can see where the OP's question arises, though. His friend has already "made a stroke" on the teeing ground, just at another ball. The wording of that definition could possibly be improved, i.e. "A ball is 'in play' as soon as the player has made a stroke at it on the teeing ground."

Yeah I agree it could be read that way.

Although I guess some might get confused in the case of someone taking an air swing. Was it really a swing "at it" if it missed?

Got it. The ball may be re-teed. Thanks

When the ball is re-teed under a rule requiring a stroke and distance penalty, it is not in play until a stroke is made at it.  If it had been dropped rather than re-teed, then it would be in play as soon as it was dropped.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades