IGNORED

Pre-Shot Routines

Spyder
Note: This thread is 3982 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How long is your typical pre-shot routine?

• 1-10 seconds
    • 11-20 seconds
    • >20 seconds (Kevin NA)

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I'm still not sure if this is a really good idea or not.  I guess if it's a relatively straight putt and I'm not sure if it's going to go left or right, it would help to keep an eye on it.  But as far as the subtlties are concerned, it seems like a bad idea, simply because the ball is breaking more and more as it slows down.  So let's say you hit one 4 feet past and it was pretty straight, then during the last 12" it broke 6" to the left.  If you aim 6" to the left on your way back, chances are that you aren't going to be remotely close to the hole.

So I am very cautious with this information.  That said, my lag putting sucks and I'm usually miles short so it is irrelevant for me ;)

I think you're absolutely right about the speed affecting everything but your brain knows that and is capable of making those adjustments if you let it. The point is, you're gaining a lot of information from watching that miss, information that you can use to make a better putt coming back. It sounds cliché but I find that "being the ball" really works and I have made a ton of perfect weight putts this year that have dropped on the first putt or stopped dead even with the hole giving me an easy tap in. Now if I could just get at least some GIR I would really be playing this game...

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm still not sure if this is a really good idea or not.  I guess if it's a relatively straight putt and I'm not sure if it's going to go left or right, it would help to keep an eye on it.  But as far as the subtlties are concerned, it seems like a bad idea, simply because the ball is breaking more and more as it slows down.  So let's say you hit one 4 feet past and it was pretty straight, then during the last 12" it broke 6" to the left.  If you aim 6" to the left on your way back, chances are that you aren't going to be remotely close to the hole.

So I am very cautious with this information.  That said, my lag putting sucks and I'm usually miles short so it is irrelevant for me ;)

I think it goes without saying that you have to consider the pace while watching it past the hole.  I dunno, tracking the line as it goes past the hole has always worked well for me.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I think you're absolutely right about the speed affecting everything but your brain knows that and is capable of making those adjustments if you let it. The point is, you're gaining a lot of information from watching that miss, information that you can use to make a better putt coming back. It sounds cliché but I find that "being the ball" really works and I have made a ton of perfect weight putts this year that have dropped on the first putt or stopped dead even with the hole giving me an easy tap in. Now if I could just get at least some GIR I would really be playing this game...

Ernest, do you curl?  Or how am I supposed to actually phrase that?  Do you "play" curling?

I love the term "weight" in place of "speed" but it really isn't used here in the US at all.  And, in fact, it seems like curling is the only place (also probably EPL soccer as I think about it) I definitely remember hearing that terminology.

And, yes, judge me if you want, but I watched the **** out of the curling competition at the last Olympics!!  And you bet your ass I'll be doing it again come February.

Ernest, do you curl?  Or how am I supposed to actually phrase that?  Do you "play" curling?

I love the term "weight" in place of "speed" but it really isn't used here in the US at all.  And, in fact, it seems like curling is the only place (also probably EPL soccer as I think about it) I definitely remember hearing that terminology.

And, yes, judge me if you want, but I watched the **** out of the curling competition at the last Olympics!!  And you bet your ass I'll be doing it again come February.

LOL, I have done a little curling. My dad curls and my Grandpa curled. WAY harder than it looks! I prefer the term weight as well, my brain understands it better and translates it into the proper stroke better than when I think in terms of speed.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

LOL, I have done a little curling. My dad curls and my Grandpa curled. WAY harder than it looks! I prefer the term weight as well, my brain understands it better and translates it into the proper stroke better than when I think in terms of speed.

Old Wisconsin boy here. Curling is a blast. Vicious game. Lots of fun, and you're right, a lot harder than it looks..... .....sound familiar guys? ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I think you are totally right that the term makes more sense.  I might even start using it myself.  Maybe I will start sounding out of place like the local diehard soccer fans that talk like English people and say things like "Manchester City are on the pitch right now."

I think you are totally right that the term makes more sense.  I might even start using it myself.  Maybe I will start sounding out of place like the local diehard soccer fans that talk like English people and say things like "Manchester City [U]are[/U] on the [U]pitch[/U] right now.":beer:

You're lucky I can't do the little trademark thingy from my iPhone. :-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.

In the Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds video game,  when you're faced with a really long putt, your caddie will say "give it weight!" before you putt.

In the Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds video game,  when you're faced with a really long putt, your caddie will say "give it weight!" before you putt.

:-D

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Does he have an accent?

Does he have an accent?

HSG is a Japanese game franchise I believe, so all of the players/caddies come from different parts of the world.  Can't remember that particular caddie though

Does he have an accent?

Give it weight, it breaks aboot six centimeters left, eh.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Give it weight, it breaks aboot six centimeters left, eh.

Sorry ... but what is a "centimeter?" ;)  And thanks for making me think of the South Park movie.

"Yes, could you tell us one more time exactly what this is all ... ABOUT??"

Great, so now we have to do math now?!?  I thought this was 'Merica!

*throws up hands and walks away*

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Spyder

I would personally classify your pre-shot routine as when you are free to hit the ball. Assuming you are playing ready golf and you have identified and are at your ball, you are now "clear" to proceed with your shot. This doesn't include anything after your club making contact with the ball (this would be post-shot), or anything regarding driving/walking to your ball.

<10 seconds is reasonable, but I definitely thought 11-20 would be the front runner. If you have an iPhone, just start a timer and think about what your shot consists of. I'm asking for your typical, average, pre-shot routine - not weighing risk/reward behind obstacles.

I would identify 'Assuming you are playing ready golf and you have identified and are at your ball, you are now "clear" to proceed with your shot.' as the later part of a preshot routine...The part of 'This doesn't include anything after your club making contact with the ball (this would be post-shot), or anything regarding driving/walking to your ball.' is where I would consider your preshot routine to start.  The problem is most people don't start until they are already 'clear' to hit, which according to me is when nobody is likely to be injured by your shot, not necessarily when you are the farthest from the pin(unless of course you are in a sanctioned event).  I like the analogy of the golfcourse itself is a 'think box' and the tee box is a 'play box'.

I loath 5hr casual rounds...no reason for it...lots of reasons why it happens!

Note: This thread is 3982 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!