IGNORED

Disc Golf for Mental Improvement in Golf

Note: This thread is 3959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was like many (or the Majority) of you guys out there. I shuddered to think about Disc Golf. Its a damn Hippie-Pot Smoking Sport* ( using the word "Sport" loosely.)

I started dating a girl who played disc golf and after months of her asking me to just try it out, I caved.

She took me to a nice course in Fort Worth, TX.

In disc golf, holes are measured in feet not yards, so it is a 1/3 scale model of a golf course, with par 3's 4's and 5's.She showed me her array of discs- Drivers, Mid-Range discs and Putters, and each disc has differing flight characteristics and weight. I took some time to get the feel of throwing the disc, it is not like throwing a frisbee. Once I did however, I immediately wanted to throw as far as the other people were throwing. (Sound Familiar?) It took me about 6 months to start throwing in a comparable range as the more experienced players. I did have a leg up on the newer players though, as the rules of disc golf and the rules of golf, are very very similar. This is where we get to the meat of this thread.

I have learned through disc golf how to manage the course and my thinking, therefore bettering my scores in Golf. In disc golf there are many instances in which you can go for the basket to make a birdie, but if you miss, there is a good chance the next throw is as far away as the one you just threw. In these instances it is much smarter to throw right under the basket for a tap in par. Over the course of the round these shots add up. These are usually the margin of victory. As in golf its not the amazing shots that make your score low, its the mitigation of the bad shots that make your scores low. Disc golf highlights many of the aspects of poor decision making and does so in a shorter time span.

A disc golf course can usually be played in a third of the time it takes to play around of golf. If you play with a group of buddies the competition can be fierce and you will learn to handle pressure putts or drives, with ease. The more repetition and experience you gain by being in these situations can help you become cool under pressure. I remember the first time playing poker and having quad aces I couldn't control the shaking in my fingers, now after so many thousands of hands of poker my body's reaction is just like having 9 high, no shakes.

Disc golf is usually free to the public, so it is very accessible to everyone. The only cost incurred are the discs. Like in golf, if you play with better players, the learning curve is much steeper. (positive) I have learned that the fundamentals in disc golf are closely mirrored in Golf. I have learned balance in my golf swing, precisely because I am using the opposite side of my body to throw a disc. I have learned that to throw a disc very far requires a very smooth transition, and not a wild forceful throw. There are so many positive things that disc golf provides for your golf game that I suggest any Golfer to give it a try.

Originally Posted by UncleRobot

I was like many (or the Majority) of you guys out there. I shuddered to think about Disc Golf. Its a damn Hippie-Pot Smoking Sport* ( using the word "Sport" loosely.)

I started dating a girl who played disc golf and after months of her asking me to just try it out, I caved.

She took me to a nice course in Fort Worth, TX.

In disc golf, holes are measured in feet not yards, so it is a 1/3 scale model of a golf course, with par 3's 4's and 5's.She showed me her array of discs- Drivers, Mid-Range discs and Putters, and each disc has differing flight characteristics and weight. I took some time to get the feel of throwing the disc, it is not like throwing a frisbee. Once I did however, I immediately wanted to throw as far as the other people were throwing. (Sound Familiar?) It took me about 6 months to start throwing in a comparable range as the more experienced players. I did have a leg up on the newer players though, as the rules of disc golf and the rules of golf, are very very similar. This is where we get to the meat of this thread.

I have learned through disc golf how to manage the course and my thinking, therefore bettering my scores in Golf. In disc golf there are many instances in which you can go for the basket to make a birdie, but if you miss, there is a good chance the next throw is as far away as the one you just threw. In these instances it is much smarter to throw right under the basket for a tap in par. Over the course of the round these shots add up. These are usually the margin of victory. As in golf its not the amazing shots that make your score low, its the mitigation of the bad shots that make your scores low. Disc golf highlights many of the aspects of poor decision making and does so in a shorter time span.

A disc golf course can usually be played in a third of the time it takes to play around of golf. If you play with a group of buddies the competition can be fierce and you will learn to handle pressure putts or drives, with ease. The more repetition and experience you gain by being in these situations can help you become cool under pressure. I remember the first time playing poker and having quad aces I couldn't control the shaking in my fingers, now after so many thousands of hands of poker my body's reaction is just like having 9 high, no shakes.

Disc golf is usually free to the public, so it is very accessible to everyone. The only cost incurred are the discs. Like in golf, if you play with better players, the learning curve is much steeper. (positive) I have learned that the fundamentals in disc golf are closely mirrored in Golf. I have learned balance in my golf swing, precisely because I am using the opposite side of my body to throw a disc. I have learned that to throw a disc very far requires a very smooth transition, and not a wild forceful throw. There are so many positive things that disc golf provides for your golf game that I suggest any Golfer to give it a try.

Yeah, and smoking all that pot is kinda fun too!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by UncleRobot

I think the image is changing. Slowly.

Also, there's this group: http://thesandtrap.com/groups/show/59/disc-golfers . :) Currently one member… :D

Originally Posted by UncleRobot

I agree with that.

I also find the choice of shot shape (and height) is more of a challenge in disc golf. In golf you only really have to vary trajectory and shot shape when you're in trouble. In disc golf you will tend to vary it on nearly EVERY shot. Plus the very good disc golfers have good forehands AND backhand throws (the latter being more common), providing even MORE variation in shot selection.

Those are good points. Pressure is pressure - and the more ways you can feel it in a competitive and athletic situation, the better you'll be able to handle it the next time.

Mike (mvmac) has a set of discs or two, so he knows how little cost it can be. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm actually the opposite, in that I've played disc golf religiously for the last 6-7 years and have gotten to a very competitive level. However my short game started to suffer, so I began playing regular golf to take away the stress and pressure that I put upon myself playing disc golf. Playing ball golf helps me to put it in perspective that it's just a game, and the main reason I should be playing is for fun.

It was amazing to see how many ex-college golfers that have started families and cant afford to golf, that have taken up disc golf. The guys that I have met are phenomenal disc golfers, and when i took a few of them to my home club and we played golf they were studs on the course too. I think that the younger crowd of golfers have less of negative view towards disc golf. I agree with iacas in that the image is slowly changing. Disc Golf needs a Tiger Woods in that he changed the game of golf from an old man's sport to a much younger vibrant sport that kids want to play.

• Administrator

Played a bit with my family yesterday (wife, daughter, brother in law). My daughter typically "goes for" everything but we talked about just throwing under the basket and having the easy drop-in. She used that strategy many times from 40 to 80 feet.

Was a great day, and we played 18 as a foursome (a fivesome if you count my nephew in the stroller) in two hours.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!