IGNORED

A camera for recording the golf swing ? EX-FH100 is the only good option out there ?

Note:Β This thread is 3725 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Originally Posted by buckshot4227

Seriously?Β  Here is what the ebayer had describing the Casio EX-FC-150

Excellent condition. Very hard camera to find.

Great for capturing golf swings and other fast motion. Can capture at over 200 fps with manual shutter control.

ALL of the new Casio ZR cameras (ZR10, 100, 200, 400, 1000) are poor at capturing a golf swing, for one basic reason: they have no manual shutter control during high speed video capture and, therefore, produce excessive shaft blur in the video during the downswing and near impact. DO THE RESEARCH. Google this issue and you will find out why the older Casio cameras do a far better job at slow motion video analysis for golf. Some of the new ZR series do have manual shutter control, but NOT when capturing high speed video.

Yep, I have the FC150 and it works ok but it is really hard to see the shaft. I usually record at 120fps which improves things slightly over the higher speeds but it is usually very difficult to see the shaft around impact. Check my "my swing" thread and you will get an idea of what the videos look like. All of my recent vids are taken using that camera.

Driver: :tmade:Β R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping:Β G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade:Β Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland:Β CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland:Β CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade:Β Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade:Β Penta

Thanks for many comments. I tried to win ebay bidding but failed. These days its more than 500. Is Fc150 or 100 better than zr100? Fc150 is the next good candidate so far?

WIth the Panasonic Lumix FZ200, you are able to manually set the shutter speed in the creative video mode with shutter priority - however, playback on the camera is limited to the actual recording. You need to download to a player to view slo mo.

In HS (high speed) creative mode, the camera records at 120 or 240 fps, depending on your selection and plays back in slo-mo. BUT you can't stop and start the recording, and look at a frame unless you want to go back to the first frame. You can see a lot at 240 fps in one fell swoop, but you will need to download to a player to analyze.

Panasonic should have attached frame by frame analysis to its wheel - but it did not. Perhaps that's the next iteration of the camera.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by shong9

Thanks for many comments.

I tried to win ebay bidding but failed. These days its more than 500.

Is Fc150 or 100 better than zr100?

Fc150 is the next good candidate so far?

In all honesty the FC150 is a solid camera and if you can get one for a good price I'd go for it. Really happy with mine and had it probably 3 years now. Great camera for stills too.

Driver: :tmade:Β R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping:Β G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
LW: :cleveland:Β CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade:Β Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade:Β Penta

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

In HS (high speed) creative mode, the camera records at 120 or 240 fps, depending on your selection and plays back in slo-mo. BUT you can't stop and start the recording, and look at a frame unless you want to go back to the first frame. You can see a lot at 240 fps in one fell swoop, but you will need to download to a player to analyze.

To be clear, you cannot set the shutter speed in high speed video mode, according to Panasonic directly (and B&H;) and the three hours I spent on the phone working through a few levels of people.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

To be clear, you cannot set the shutter speed in high speed video mode, according to Panasonic directly (and B&H;) and the three hours I spent on the phone working through a few levels of people.

That is true - I thought I made that clear in my post. I apologize if it did not come across clearly. I have the camera and have googled or looked at most reviews and youtube analysis of the camera. There is little or no detail on shutter priority or playback anywhere - so the only way to know is to work the camera.

You can manually set shutter speed in creative mode shutter priority (you can also set ISO) and it plays back in the camera at regular speed. In high speed mode (HS), it records at 120 or 240fps and plays back in slo-mo. I tried it today with the camera. To obtain any worthwhile on the spot analysis, you must record in HS mode for a slo-mo playback. The playback options on the camera are disappointing, to say the least - if you try to stop, you go back to the first frame.

I haven't tried it, but I assume when you download to a video player, you can playback the shutter priority mode in slo-mo.

Most analysis with this camera will be at home after downloading.

As I learn more from working the camera, I will post more...

Nothing is better than the Casio FH100 or FH25 for analysis on the range (Mike's camera) - but those are difficult to find, or cost $550-650+.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

It's definitely worth hunting around for a Casio Exilim. As far as I am aware these are the only cameras about, for a reasonable price, which allow you to manual change the shutter speed which is essential unless you want a blurry shaft on your high-speed shots. I managed to pick up an EX-FH25 from a pawn shop for only $200 or so. I was incredibly lucky though as I've seen these cameras going for hundreds.

I wonder if you can jail break a camera? I think its pretty much a software thing right, if you can hack the camera you could probably turn it to manual.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

• Administrator
Originally Posted by saevel25

I wonder if you can jail break a camera? I think its pretty much a software thing right, if you can hack the camera you could probably turn it to manual.

For some higher level cameras out there, firmware hacks exist. Typically not for consumer level cameras, though. I'm talking like Canon 5D, 7D, some Nikons, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think it is to do with a special sensor only the Exilim's have. The sensor was produced by Sony but for some reason they chose not to use it on their own cameras

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would add a new development that I found last night about the FC150. I was looking around other sites to see what the options are for a manual shutter speed camera that is affordable (I wish I bought an FH100 when they were going for <$200!). I found some people saying that the FC150 (which is what I have) is capable of having manual shutter speed up to 1-40000. I was sceptical but I had a little play and found that if you first enable the high speed still shooting mode, then put the mode into shutter priority you are able to change the shutter speed all the way up to 1-40000. I haven't tested it at the range yet but a quick video at 240fps in my lounge did show a difference between 1-500 and 1-2500, it was a lot darker in the 1-2500 (which makes sense seeing as it was at night and I only had a few lights on). I will try it out today and report back.

Following up to my above post, I tested the camera at the range last night and I can confirm that the Casio FC150 does in fact have the ability to change the shutter speed manually. I set it to 1-2500 and removed virtually all of the blury-ness from the FO video and I was able to see the club/ball very clearly at impact. In auto mode this was never possible. The images were quite grainy Β but I think that had to do with the fact I was doing it at dusk and the lighting wasn't so great. So I am a very happy camper. I will get some better shots and show a comparison between auto and manual.

The Casio ZR10 is a perfect slow motion camera. Its cheap, extremely durable (literally have dropped that thing SO many times and its still in awesome shape) and great for golf recording. Got it off ebay for nothing.

• 6 months later...
  • Administrator

WhichΒ camera did you guys end up buying?

The FH100 is difficult/not to find. Will the new ones, ZR..,Β do the job, filming a swing or there is a better alternative?

Thanks

If you film mostly outside in GREAT light, some of the new ZR cameras are okay. They'll automatically choose a fast enough shutter speed. That's what they lack, though, software control over shutter speed (manual shutter speed).

If you film mostly outside in GREAT light, some of the new ZR cameras are okay. They'll automatically choose a fast enough shutter speed. That's what they lack, though, software control over shutter speed (manual shutter speed).

So more or less ok..

What if i want the manual shutter, in which direction should i look because it seems to me most of them are automatic:p.

Get an Exilim EX-FC160S. I got one and its awesome. No shaft or club head blur. It works well indoors but obviously better outdoors.

- Jered

Note:Β This thread is 3725 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!