IGNORED

My Swing (maddog0512)

maddog0512
Note: This thread is 3205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah for now I'm just going to advise you stick with what Brian is telling you. He knows his stuff and I'm sure he's got a game plan in mind.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah for now I'm just going to advise you stick with what Brian is telling you. He knows his stuff and I'm sure he's got a game plan in mind.

Fair enough.  I was just curious and I didn't want to wait for an answer until the next time I submit a video to Brian.  He very clearly knows what he's doing, it's just that I'm impatient :-) .  I'll just turn the face more open at setup and see where that takes me.

Oh, and thanks for taking the time to respond.

Golf is hard.

You added loft dynamically during the swing. The bold below:

Quote:

I think because your grip is slightly off, you have made an adjustment with the clubface to improve your results. However, in doing so, you have taken a lot of the loft off of the club and you have to make adjustments mid swing to try to add loft.

I was thinking about this last night, trying to figure out what sort of adjustments I'm making.  The two things that seem likely to me are not allowing a full release (holding the face open through impact) and swinging much too in-to-out.  If I didn't do these two things, the ball would hook hard every swing.  Doing these things allows me to hit it decently straight with a very closed face.  By opening the face at address like Brian wants I would be able to fix both of these compensations.  Am I thinking about this correctly?

Golf is hard.

Fair enough.  I was just curious and I didn't want to wait for an answer until the next time I submit a video to Brian.  He very clearly knows what he's doing, it's just that I'm impatient .  I'll just turn the face more open at setup and see where that takes me.

Oh, and thanks for taking the time to respond.

I gotcha. Brian is more familiar with your swing and like I said, he's got a game plan for where he wants to go.

Quote:

I think because your grip is slightly off, you have made an adjustment with the clubface to improve your results. However, in doing so, you have taken a lot of the loft off of the club and you have to make adjustments mid swing to try to add loft.

I was thinking about this last night, trying to figure out what sort of adjustments I'm making.  The two things that seem likely to me are not allowing a full release (holding the face open through impact) and swinging much too in-to-out.  If I didn't do these two things, the ball would hook hard every swing.  Doing these things allows me to hit it decently straight with a very closed face.  By opening the face at address like Brian wants I would be able to fix both of these compensations.  Am I thinking about this correctly?

Remember ball starts where the face is aimed and curves away from the path. So if you're swinging out, you want to the face to be pointed somewhat right of the target. Makes sense to just point it there at address.

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 months later...

So I haven't updated this thread in a while.  I've been working for a while now on getting a better body rotation on the downswing and keeping my right heel down until impact.  It's not where I want either to be but I think it's getting better.  Watching the video really makes me want to start working on shortening the backswing.  Any comments are welcomed!

Golf is hard.

• 10 months later...

Well it's been almost a year since I updated this thread and I could really use some help.  These are a couple videos I took yesterday.  (Sidenote: what's the best way to get 240fps video off an iPhone 6 onto YouTube?  I tried searching online briefly but I figured someone on here would know off the top of their head.)

Anyway, I've been dealing with pushes, push fades, and oh so lovely shanks.  My ball markings definitely tend to be closer to the hosel than the toe.  I don't even want to take my driver out of the bag on the course because I have no idea where it'll end up.  I worked on my swing in my basement over the winter and it doesn't look like it did any good.

I've been all over the place on things to work on.  Trying to stand taller at address, letting the club face open up on the backswing more, getting my backswing more upright and less around, stronger grip, weaker grip, feeling like I'm exiting left through the ball, pitch elbow etc.

Looking at these videos I see that in an effort to swing less in to out, I'm now coming over the top.  That looks like the cause of my recent ball flight and shanks.  My hands seem awfully close to my thighs at address.  The face on video is just terrible all around.  I'm casting, don't know when that started.  I'm not getting my weight forward at all and getting all flippy at impact.  Plus, what the hell is my right elbow doing coming down?!

I need a priority piece.  I feel very lost at the moment.  Please help! :surrender:

Golf is hard.

Looking at these videos I see that in an effort to swing less in to out, I'm now coming over the top.  That looks like the cause of my recent ball flight and shanks.  My hands seem awfully close to my thighs at address.  The face on video is just terrible all around.  I'm casting, don't know when that started.  I'm not getting my weight forward at all and getting all flippy at impact.  Plus, what the hell is my right elbow doing coming down?!

I need a priority piece.  I feel very lost at the moment.  Please help!

I'd turn that left foot out more and work on Key#2, will help you swing more outward/less across it.

Mike McLoughlin

I'd turn that left foot out more and work on Key#2, will help you swing more outward/less across it.

I thought that would be the piece that needed my immediate attention but I wanted confirmation from an expert such as yourself.  I was really hoping you would chime in, so thanks.   One other thing, is there anything else that you would pay attention to in cleaning up at the moment?  Posture, grip etc.?  Or should I just concern myself with key #2?  I'm guessing the latter...

Golf is hard.

I thought that would be the piece that needed my immediate attention but I wanted confirmation from an expert such as yourself.  I was really hoping you would chime in, so thanks.   One other thing, is there anything else that you would pay attention to in cleaning up at the moment?  Posture, grip etc.?  Or should I just concern myself with key #2?  I'm guessing the latter...

Wouldn't mind see the arms "hang" a little more away from you. Camera is a bit too far away to see the grip...you can always check it against this,

But priority is Key #2.

Mike McLoughlin

@maddog0512 you can upload straight to YouTube from the phone. That will retain the slo-mo playback without dropping frames and losing video quality.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Wouldn't mind see the arms "hang" a little more away from you. Camera is a bit too far away to see the grip...you can always check it against this,

But priority is Key #2.

I also noticed they looked too close to my body.  I looked all bunched up and it didn't look like my arms had room to swing through.

I've read that thread multiple times so hopefully my grip isn't too far off.  For now, I'll really focus on key #2.  Gotta change that dang picture...  Thanks again.

Golf is hard.

Quote:

@maddog0512 you can upload straight to YouTube from the phone. That will retain the slo-mo playback without dropping frames and losing video quality.

Thanks, buddy.  I'll see if I can't get better video up soon.

Golf is hard.

Your real problem is going to goat tracks like Westwoods and Applewood to practice.

:-P

Obviously joking about that, although I'm not a fan of Westwoods, but I did a double take when I read this thread at first because I know those ranges, haha.

For what it's worth, when I upload my videos to youtube, I text them to myself on my phone. Then I use my Mac's messaging program to put the videos on my computer and upload them that way. It also allows me to edit out the extraneous 30 seconds I have where I'm setting up to hit. You could also e-mail the videos to yourself, although I've never tried it.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Your real problem is going to goat tracks like Westwoods and Applewood to practice.

Obviously joking about that, although I'm not a fan of Westwoods, but I did a double take when I read this thread at first because I know those ranges, haha.

For what it's worth, when I upload my videos to youtube, I text them to myself on my phone. Then I use my Mac's messaging program to put the videos on my computer and upload them that way. It also allows me to edit out the extraneous 30 seconds I have where I'm setting up to hit. You could also e-mail the videos to yourself, although I've never tried it.

Hey, Westwoods ain't all bad.  It's about a mile from my house so the convenience factor is hard to beat.  Applewood...yeah, definite goat track but it's close to my work and dirt cheap.

Golf is hard.

Hey, Westwoods ain't all bad.  It's about a mile from my house so the convenience factor is hard to beat.  Applewood...yeah, definite goat track but it's close to my work and dirt cheap.

There's just something about Westwoods that I don't like. I think it's the fact that the course takes driver out of your hands on a lot of holes. I've never been able to score well there, and I've had some awful rounds there, too.

Applewood has a special place in my heart because I played there frequently when I was first learning to play golf. It's not a very good course at all, but it's cheap on weekdays and twilights. I like to go there and play a round at like 5pm on Friday a couple of times every summer.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

There's just something about Westwoods that I don't like. I think it's the fact that the course takes driver out of your hands on a lot of holes. I've never been able to score well there, and I've had some awful rounds there, too.

Applewood has a special place in my heart because I played there frequently when I was first learning to play golf. It's not a very good course at all, but it's cheap on weekdays and twilights. I like to go there and play a round at like 5pm on Friday a couple of times every summer.

$14 for twilight during the week at Applewood with the Player's Club card.  The price is right but I guess you get what you pay for!

Golf is hard.

• 1 month later...

I've been working on Key #2 for the past month.  I think I'm improving but it's not quite automatic yet.  I also think I'm moving too much of my upper body towards the target on the downswing, rather than just the lower body.  Looking at the video, I also see that I'm shifting my hips back laterally rather than rotating them.  I guess I need to rewatch the "How to Make a Centered Hip Turn" video.  Anybody see anything different?

Golf is hard.

I've been working on Key #2 for the past month.  I think I'm improving but it's not quite automatic yet.  I also think I'm moving too much of my upper body towards the target on the downswing, rather than just the lower body.  Looking at the video, I also see that I'm shifting my hips back laterally rather than rotating them.  I guess I need to rewatch the "How to Make a Centered Hip Turn" video.  Anybody see anything different?

How are you hitting it, Key #2 does look a little better.

Agree with the hip stuff. Watch your right hip in the first 6 seconds of your video, the hip doesn't turn, it slides back. Compare that to these hip motions on the backswing, right hip moves up and AROUND.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!