IGNORED

A few questions from a returning golfer

despereaux
Note: This thread is 6120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just came back to the game after a couple of years off. Granted I still played the occassional round, but did not practice, exercise or concentrate on improving. I was sucked up into my job and had little time for anything else. I've put that behind me and now have ample time to play golf and I am now recommitted to getting better.

I've made some equipment acquisitions (Driver, Wedges, Hybrid) and regripped/reshafted my existing equipment (Irons, 3-Metal) - See signature below. These decisions based on two things - my swing specs and cost.

I had my swing analyzed at a PGA Tour Superstore and my specs with a Driver are below:

Swing Speed: 102 MPH
Ball Speed: 150 MPH
Launch Angle: 12°
Ball Spin: 3300 RPM
Carry: 265 Yards

This is the "best case" swing. I usually swing a bit slower and the ball will come off with more spin, often resulting in 250yd drives, just slightly better than is achievable with my 3 wood. I'm sure this is the case with many amateurs.

So, what are my options? Am I just too old (37) and fat (250 lbs at 6'4") to hit the ball any further? The pro tells me my launch angle and ball rotation are optimized and now its just a matter of swing speed - though he did point out that a comfortable 102 was very respectable, but how am I going to carry that 270 yd bunker that the 18 yr old kids at the club routinely blast over?

If anybody has any proven golf exercises that will help increase swing speed, or has noticed something about my equipment set up that can be optimized, pls advise!!!

Thanks!

In my Golf Bag:

Driver: W-506 10.5°, Mitsubishi Rayon 59g, Stiff, High Bp
3-Metal: Eye-O-Matic, Aldila NV-S, Stiff
Hybrid: Rescue Mid 3, 19°, StiffIrons: 3-PW CompEZ, TrueTemper Dynamic Gold, S300Wedges: CG-10 46°, Vokey 58°Putter: Zing2Ball: Pro V1x (only if they are...

Maybe trying buying a swing trainer. Its a really really heavy club that you can swing with to get strength in the forearms and such. When you swing a real club, it will feel like a feather. Good luck on returning!

im 15 and have almost around the same swing specs as you do. How do you feel you hit with a stiff shaft instead of a regular? I use a regular and can sometimes feel it whip, but i love it.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Well first of all, you are not OLD!

A comfortable 102 is good for someone who hasn't really been playing (in my opinion). I bet when you get familiar with your swing again, adjust your mechanics appropriately and your body starts getting used to swinging a club again, you will see that swing speed jump.

I'm 30 yro, 6'3" and my clubhead speed with driver is around 105. It used to be around 90-95 when I first started playing a few years ago. Just simply getting more comfortable with my swing, learning the correct mechanics etc. increased that speed by 10-15mph.

Flexibility is going to be your key, I think, and some weight loss will likely help that. Very few people are physically gifted to be flexible while being overweight. However, it needs to be said that no amateur needs to worry about carrying 275 yd bunkers. Just get as good with your 5-iron as the young kids are with their 8-iron... ;)

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

• Administrator
Swing Speed: 102 MPH

Here's how I see it.

First off, I don't believe the carry number. Not at all. See this screenshot from this article : It's probably 15-20 yards longer than is really possible at that ball speed (5/3 * ball speed = carry distance). But.... whatever, so long as the other numbers are good. I've heard a lot of stores will ramp up the yardage so they can sell you ANY new driver. If you think it'll go further than your old one, you'll be more likely to buy it. At any rate, this chart is still relevant, and from looking at it, about all you could really do is bring down the spin a little bit: 6'4" and 250 isn't that big. I'm 190 and 5'10" after all and I'm not really lumpy anywhere. Maybe you could lose a few, but I wouldn't worry about it. Any amateur that can hit the ball 250 yards in the air off the tee is doing pretty well. Concentrate on your short game for now. It's the last thing to come back after a layoff.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe I was seeing Total distance on the machine when I was in the store...that would seem to match your screenshot, however with a spin rate that low (in your pic) it would seem that carry distance should be further.

Regardless I'm not that all put off with my "length" as I seem to be long enough to play 6800 yd courses with little problem.

I have a 12 index due to missing greens, failure to get up and down, and poor putting. As suggested by IACAS, my shortgame still sux.

However, it IS fun to hit the ball a long way. Honestly, though, I hit driver typically on 3-4 holes per round and find myself hitting 3,4, hybrid and 3-metal most often. Playing for 2nd shot distance and position is more important (well, more achievable anyway) than overpowering courses, particularly with an amatuer's driving accuracy factored in. Lying 3 on the tee will kill any chance I have at breaking 80 almost guaranteed. You basically add the score of an entire hole to your round when you do that.

Thanks for the feedback on the swing data though. I appreciate the research.

In my Golf Bag:

Driver: W-506 10.5°, Mitsubishi Rayon 59g, Stiff, High Bp
3-Metal: Eye-O-Matic, Aldila NV-S, Stiff
Hybrid: Rescue Mid 3, 19°, StiffIrons: 3-PW CompEZ, TrueTemper Dynamic Gold, S300Wedges: CG-10 46°, Vokey 58°Putter: Zing2Ball: Pro V1x (only if they are...

I don't think your swing speed is bad at all. My swing speed is somewhere in the low 90's but I usually hit it 240-260 (depending on roll and wind) and I am a pretty good player. Don't worry about how far you hit, just try to get back into the game and work on what can give you the best score: short game.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Note: This thread is 6120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!