IGNORED

My Swing (Jeremie Boop)

Jeremie Boop

Once the weather cools down a bit tonight I'm going to the range to work on getting back to proper turns and keeping spine tilt away from target. I will also do a bit of the umbrella idea to start working in the steep to shallow swing plane, but only a little bit and probably towards the end of the range session. I'll record swings, but if there's no improvement I probably won't post anything.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Post anyway. MAKE the pictures change.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Video isn't good and I wasn't able to record much because my camera battery was dead somehow. Had to balance my phone precariously on the tripod to get these swings. Camera angle is a bit off because I'm pretty certain that the ball wasn't as far back in my stance as it looks in the video.

I don't I know, it's better I guess. Contact was great on a few, pretty good on some, bad on others, and some I almost completely missed the ball. I need to get the mat to hit off of in the apartment so I can practice without seeing the ball flight or something. I try not to let hitting so many bad shots get to me, but it's hard sometimes. Not giving up by any means, just have to remember it's a process and it will get better.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I was, perhaps, a bit harsh about my range time last night. Outside influences are coloring my mood on a lot of things recently and not allowing me to see clearly. So, today I decided to take another look at what I captured on video last night and compare it to my first range visit after my lesson with @iacas. Even though the camera angle was off, I grabbed these comparisons. Last night's swings actually look a bit better to my untrained eye at these checkpoints. However, I did still struggle with overswing.

compare.jpg

And there are marked improvements over what I filmed on Saturday.

compare2.jpg

So, in the end I guess I need to take a step back sometimes and really look at what I recorded for what it is rather than what I want to see. Look to see if there are any improvements and be happy when there are as well as focus on continuing on that path instead of getting complacent. This range session last night was proof that I can change the picture when I focus. I just need to remember that.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Just borrowing a impact picture from Hardspoon's swing thread to use myself. May use it as a reference point as I continue working on my swing. Camera angles aren't the same and club used is different but gives a decent idea where I'm at. Mostly same focus as always, need to get my hands further forward at impact but body positions are pretty similar at least.

impact reference.jpg

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

2 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Just borrowing a impact picture from Hardspoon's swing thread to use myself.

There is a standard rental Fee for MySwing images...I think the going rate is one (craft) beer. You can pay up during the Ohio outing.

:beer:

- John

4 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

There is a standard rental Fee for MySwing images...I think the going rate is one (craft) beer. You can pay up during the Ohio outing.

:beer:

Fair enough, not a problem. 

Another range session tonight. More good strikes than last night, a lot of pull draws though. Driver was a struggle, was only able to hit about 1/2 of them even somewhat decent. Grass area was pretty packed but was lucky to find last mat free so I could record face on.

Still struggling with shortening the swing. I think I may be able to get away with the ball being a bit further forward which might promote getting my hands more forward at impact.

Worked a bit on trying to incorporate the umbrella feel in the takeaway\backswing. Not all that successful, almost felt like it exacerbated my steepness on the downswing. My right elbow seems to be coming way away from my side, may need to think about bringing it down towards my side on the downswing to encourage shallowing out?

Not bad except for the overswing. Great ball flight, high push draw landed pretty much at the top of the hill at the end of the range. If I could translate how fast I move my hands in this swing into my iron swing I feel like I'd have no problem getting inline impact position at all.inline impact.jpg

Seriously... Look at that, if I had an iron in my hands there I'd be in pretty much perfect impact position... :mad: However... Maybe that's a good thought for when I'm swinging my iron to think of it as though I'm swinging my driver?

Damn overswing.... That's pretty much all I can say here. Other than that the strike was good *a bit off the toe probably though* and the ball flew to the top of the hill in the distance.

Basically pretty happy with the range work tonight. After reviewing the videos I know have a couple of things I think may be useful when I go out next time.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator

Yeah, the swing is long, but you're going about things the right way and the improvements to the way the hips turn (remember to turn them forward, don't just shove them forward by extending the right knee). Very nice @Jeremie Boop. Again, you're doing this the right way. Stay disciplined.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Wanted to work on my swing a bit today, but damn it is hot and humid out there. I had to give up because I kept having to stop and go inside. Couple of quick things that I was able to capture. Not really big improvements, but wanted to document what I did today. **note had to use PW here because was hitting foam balls in my mother's back yard.. Still ended up hitting them over the fence about 1/2 the time or more, guess I'll have to invest in a net even with foam balls. Also, it was pretty tough to even make contact with these things due to the longer grass. The balls were sitting on top and lined up with the top 1/3 of the club.**

Tried to make sure I let my weight shift to the right foot on the backswing, I noticed a tendency to keep my weight predominantly on my front foot when focusing on hip turn. Unfortunately doing that ended up causing me to drift back a bit. Have to be conscious of keeping my hip "against the wall". Swing itself isn't too bad, still a bit long on the backswing and need to work on keeping arms straight longer in the follow through.

7-23.jpg

Incremental improvement on impact position. I'll take what I can get when it comes to the biggest and most consistent problem with my swing.

top.jpg

I really need to find a way to make this be the top of my backswing, especially with a club as short as a PW. It may even help when it comes to improving impact position more.

Overall, not a bad day working on the swing still making progress. I'll take slow progress over no progress!

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I really need to find a way to make this be the top of my backswing, especially with a club as short as a PW. It may even help when it comes to improving impact position more.

Video tape yourself making a slow backswing  to the length you want and hold the position. Make a mental note of what it feels like. Then try to make a swing and make a mental note of what the swing felt like, how much turn, how much did the arms move. Then check the video. See if you hit your the swing length you want. If not then do the slow swings again, hold the position you want. Then make another swing but this time try to shorten it up. If need to, swing like 50% backswing turn rates. Check the video, how closer were you? Keep doing it till you get the swing where you want it. 

This is what I do to try to teach myself to swing shorter. It will take some time, but it gets easier over time.

For me, my driver is a between A2-A3 swing length feel that gets me A4

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

01.jpg02.jpg

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

01.jpg02.jpg

Top: Yeah, I noticed the sway. It's almost certainly from trying think about shifting my weight. I'm guessing that it's not something I should even think about at this point unless I can avoid drifting back. It just really feels like I keep all my weight forward right now when I focus on keeping on the wall.

Bottom: I honestly didn't even notice/think about how far forward my head was getting. I won't worry about it now, but it's interesting to see how much it moved. Are my hips getting too far forward also then? If so, would this be partially due to how I drifted back?

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try to do some more work tomorrow. When I do I'll really focus on not swaying back on the turn. I really need to get the mat so I can practice inside on days when it's so stupid hot or when it rains. 

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Top: Yeah, I noticed the sway. It's almost certainly from trying think about shifting my weight. I'm guessing that it's not something I should even think about at this point unless I can avoid drifting back. It just really feels like I keep all my weight forward right now when I focus on keeping on the wall.

You really shouldn't focus on shifting your weight back at all. A centered pivot doesn't have much weight shifting back. The pressure shifts back, but the weight won't (your arms will transfer weight slightly).

I read that bit about the "weight shift" above and wanted to comment on it, so I'm glad you said it again.

Bottom: I honestly didn't even notice/think about how far forward my head was getting. I won't worry about it now, but it's interesting to see how much it moved. Are my hips getting too far forward also then? If so, would this be partially due to how I drifted back?

Don't worry about it for now. The hips are fine (they might be too far forward, but not getting them forward with the head movement would be way worse right now).

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try to do some more work tomorrow. When I do I'll really focus on not swaying back on the turn. I really need to get the mat so I can practice inside on days when it's so stupid hot or when it rains. 

Practice in a doorway. :-)

Ok, so originally I was planning on just skipping working on my swing today. Then I realized, how can I expect to make any real improvement if I just skip days. That's the old habit that I'm trying to break. I went to the range with specific purpose tonight. I wanted to focus on the centered pivot/wall drill and try to shorten my backswing by starting with slow swings to set the feeling of where it should be.

I have to admit, I'm pretty happy with how things worked out on this range session. I recorded probably 15 swings and they almost all looked exactly like this. When the swing got longer it still stayed short of parallel to the ground and my left hip stayed almost exactly where it started until it bumped forward at the start of the downswing. I wasn't sure how the video was going to turn out because I forgot my phone at home so I couldn't really see the camera angle, which is also why there's no DTL shots.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

22 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Ok, so originally I was planning on just skipping working on my swing today. Then I realized, how can I expect to make any real improvement if I just skip days.

Man, you are dedicated!  I'm at the point where I'm trying not to skip weeks.  It certainly looks like it's paying off for you.

Now that the TST Outing is Saturday-Sunday, I probably can't make it...but you should probably start dedicating practice time to the greenside bunker shot with a 5-iron.  ;-)

- John

11 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Man, you are dedicated!  I'm at the point where I'm trying not to skip weeks.  It certainly looks like it's paying off for you.

Now that the TST Outing is Saturday-Sunday, I probably can't make it...but you should probably start dedicating practice time to the greenside bunker shot with a 5-iron.  ;-)

To be fair, I think you've made a lot more progress on your swing than I have so you can probably afford to take more time off than I can. Hopefully you are able to make it to the outing, how else am I supposed to buy that beer for you that I owe?

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

It's off topic, but since you mentioned it… you are showing up for the outing. ;-) So that's decided now… :-D

Looks good @Jeremie Boop.

7 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Hopefully you are able to make it to the outing, how else am I supposed to buy that beer for you that I owe?

Haha - that's very true!  From what I remember, the clubhouse there had a pretty decent beer list, too.  I'm definitely going to try to make the schedule work out.

Back on topic, I've really found that I can only do one thing at once.  If you do start to struggle with working on the shorter backswing and the pivot drill at the same time (although it looks good so far), try "splitting the work" - only one thought for each swing.  Eventually you'll be able to combine them.

- John