IGNORED

Pulling for Tiger

BayouBomber
Note: This thread is 3905 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Faldo and Chamblee have been singing the same tune. 4 bloody wins this year in 9 starts, no other golfer has more, but he's the one broken mentally. I hear ya, Doc. I'm more inclined to believe both Faldo and Chamblee seeing as both look like they know what being broken mentally feels/look like.

Haha well said. Chamblee needs to get off the hate wagon. How on earth is Tiger mentally broken?? Chamblee is just spewing nonsense because of Tiger's major drought.. But the guy is human.... AND he's already won 14!

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Originally Posted by 3putter

Faldo and Chamblee have been singing the same tune. 4 bloody wins this year in 9 starts, no other golfer has more, but he's the one broken mentally. I hear ya, Doc. I'm more inclined to believe both Faldo and Chamblee seeing as both look like they know what being broken mentally feels/look like.

Haha.

Touche

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Anyone care to calculate Tiger's weekend scoring average in his last 8 or so majors? Just curious what, if anything, it might indicate about his mental toughness as it applies to majors since his game has come back. Edit: FWIW I just checked his weekend scores in majors since the 2012 Masters, and he only has 3 rounds under par (2 at Augusta) and none in the 60s. Not great. One explanation of why things start to go wrong on the weekends at majors is mental. Just sayin.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by k-troop

Anyone care to calculate Tiger's weekend scoring average in his last 8 or so majors? Just curious what, if anything, it might indicate about his mental toughness as it applies to majors since his game has come back.

Edit: FWIW I just checked his weekend scores in majors since the 2012 Masters, and he only has 3 rounds under par (2 at Augusta) and none in the 60s. Not great. One explanation of why things start to go wrong on the weekends at majors is mental. Just sayin.

Of his 14 majors, he shot in the 70's 6 times on Sunday, not to mention a couple of 69's. He shot in the 70's 5 times on Saturdays. Outside of careless extrapolations, I'm not sure there's much to lean on here as a sign of mental weakness. The guy simply plays to win. 2012 was a year where he was still working on things with his swing, so not sure much conclusion can be drawn from there.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Of his 14 majors, he shot in the 70's 6 times on Sunday, not to mention a couple of 69's. He shot in the 70's 5 times on Saturdays. Outside of careless extrapolations, I'm not sure there's much to lean on here as a sign of mental weakness. The guy simply plays to win. 2012 was a year where he was still working on things with his swing, so not sure much conclusion can be drawn from there.

If he's shooting 3 shots worse on Saturday and Sunday, you don't think that means anything? I picked 2012 because that followed his first win after the drought.

Kevin

umm, pins are not as easy to get to on saturday and sunday.  just fyi.  not many on the tour go low on the weekend in a major.  if they do, chances are they were way out of contention before they teed off.

Originally Posted by k-troop

If he's shooting 3 shots worse on Saturday and Sunday, you don't think that means anything? I picked 2012 because that followed his first win after the drought.

No. See below for rationale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 460CompMark

umm, pins are not as easy to get to on saturday and sunday.  just fyi.  not many on the tour go low on the weekend in a major.  if they do, chances are they were way out of contention before they teed off.

If you are in the lead on Saturday or Sunday, your main job is to PROTECT that lead. Since you tee off last, you have pretty good idea of what everyone else is doing.

Originally Posted by 3putter

If you are in the lead on Saturday or Sunday, your main job is to PROTECT that lead. Since you tee off last, you have pretty good idea of what everyone else is doing.

Not if you're Tiger Woods circa 10 years ago. ;)

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Well rationalize it how you want. Fact is that since his win at Firestone in 2011 (ie after Tiger proved he could still win) Tiger has played six majors. Two at Augusta, and he played slightly better on the weekend. The other four he's averaging about four shots worse per round over the weekend. Same course, same swing, worse score. I personally find it interesting that he hasn't played worse over the weekend at Augusta, a course where he will always have supreme confidence. It's a very small sample size, but it's not really fair to compare anything from 2011 and before when he was hacking it, or from 2008 and before when he won everything. It's what we have.

Kevin

Well rationalize it how you want. Fact is that since his win at Firestone in 2011 (ie after Tiger proved he could still win) Tiger has played six majors. Two at Augusta, and he played slightly better on the weekend. The other four he's averaging about four shots worse per round over the weekend. Same course, same swing, worse score.

I personally find it interesting that he hasn't played worse over the weekend at Augusta, a course where he will always have supreme confidence. It's a very small sample size, but it's not really fair to compare anything from 2011 and before when he was hacking it, or from 2008 and before when he won everything. It's what we have.

Same course set up?

As I said earlier, outside of careless extrapolation, not much conclusion to be drawn.

Well, I'll carelessly extrapolate that Tiger and Foley think differently.

Kevin

If he's shooting 3 shots worse on Saturday and Sunday, you don't think that means anything? I picked 2012 because that followed his first win after the drought.

A more valid stat would be how his weekend rounds compare to others in the field. If Woods is lagging your point has more validity.

A more valid stat would be how his weekend rounds compare to others in the field. If Woods is lagging your point has more validity.

Agreed. But you'd have to compare field scoring avg for Thurs-Fri including only those who made the cut, and compare it to field scoring avg for Sat-Sun. Not sure the first data point exists. Regardless I doubt it's a four shot difference, which is what Tiger has done in his last four majors not played at Augusta. Tiger fought through the first nine today and shot a great round (under the conditions) when he could have easily shot 77. We'll see if he can do that on the weekend, when he'll likely be playing in the afternoon on Saturday and Sunday.

Kevin

the course looked to be playing as easy as it's going to get, unless they get a good overnight rain and the wind lays down.  don't see that happening though.  get ready for even higher numbers the next 3 days.  those bunkers are brutal.  watched Paul Lawrie take 4 shots to get out of one.

Tiger every single time. I was at Muirfield yesterday and watching his ball flight was a clinic. I've never seen anyone make it look so easy. A lot of people don't actually rate his swing, a lot of pundits don't rate it either but let me tell you, in person it is so damn fluid it's a joke. When it's slowed down by TV you can see flaws but in pure viewing terms, in person especially, you really do feel privileged to watch such a player. I genuinely feel for the tour when he leaves because the guy is a super star, probably the most famous athlete ever and any sport would struggle losing that. Despite the love in for Tiger I probably have a group of other guys I really pull for as well, G-Mac probably the most, I just love the bloke and it seems like he just loves the game. When he gets asked a question at a press conference and ends up speaking for about 5 minutes, it's like he gets lost in the game. I have also developed a liking for McIlroy and Scott this last year and who doesn't like Luke Donald? Man I'm really excited for Jordan Spieth as well, that kid looks dynamite. Seen him at the Walker Cup in '11 and he was quality, didn't lose a game. Sadly didn't really get to see him much at Muirfield yesterday and when I did he made bogey on 17. But he does look the real deal! But you can be sure this weekend I'm only rooting for one guy and he's the best player ever.

I like The Mechanic and wish him good luck in the remaining two rounds, but I don't have any confidence that Jimenez will sustain his place at the top of the leaderboard for another 36 holes.

The real contender for this championship is one of the four guys sitting one shot behind him, and I think this really is Tiger's Open to win or lose.

I'd guess the guy who will push him hardest is Cabrera, but it would be a brave or naive man who placed a bet on anyone but Woods at this time, I think.

This will be the major that will provide the impetus for passing Nicklaus's record (and soon, in the next two or three years). But for the flag-stick on the 15th green at Augusta, that process might have already commenced this year.

I love how Cabrera shows up for every major. This guy is a solid golfer. On topic, I really do agree its Tigers open. I can see him making a big push today and tomorrow.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Anyone care to calculate Tiger's weekend scoring average in his last 8 or so majors? Just curious what, if anything, it might indicate about his mental toughness as it applies to majors since his game has come back. Edit: FWIW I just checked his weekend scores in majors since the 2012 Masters, and he only has 3 rounds under par (2 at Augusta) and none in the 60s. Not great. One explanation of why things start to go wrong on the weekends at majors is mental. Just sayin.

Luckily, he might not have to shoot under par or in the 60s to be in the lead tonight.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 3905 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!