IGNORED

Swing speed numbers.... advice needed

sigfan2340
Note: This thread is 3887 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by saevel25

Quote:

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Yep, forward press too much and your shoulders creep open and you whip the hands inside then up maybe crossing the line. You start back with the shoulders to reroute the club coming down over the top and steep. Without turning this into a swing thread, you want to set up square, take the club down the line and then around, then start with the hips which bring you down in the slot to hit the ball from the outside. I heard a great tip the other day for people that are around-up-around and down. The guy said think up-around-down and around which is the opposite of what you are doing (Furyk is an extreme example). This is overly simplified but it makes sense to me. Your best bet is to see a teaching pro.

Really, the backswing sets you up for the downswing. It's what is happening through the impact zone that will help your spin numbers. What kind of surprises me is that if you are really coming over the top why your launch angle is so low with a 10.5 driver. Usually this kind of swing has a higher slicing ball flight. Some good instruction, before an equipment change is what I would recommend.

1) doesn't matter were the club is at the top, its impossible to tell because, if your shoulders under rotate, then your club could overswing and look down the line, but its a bad position. The top of the swing doesn't matter were the club is pointing. you got to know were it is in relation to how much shoulder turn you have.

2) Club never goes down the line. The club goes into an arc. What your doing is a feel that works for you, not what happens.

3) Single piece take away has caused many problems for amateurs, because it throws off there shoulder and hip rotation rates. If you keep your hips silent, your getting your shoulder to rotate to much, then it pulls on your body and you can have lateral movement. Let the hips rotate with the shoulders in the swing, don't keep the back leg knee bent so much in the backswing, let it extend a bit.

4) Yes you can practice and opposite, but don't think of it in the swing. What you do is, lets say you take the club to far inside. Go very slow, no need to hit balls, and just practice the opposite to the extreme, this will help get the to inside swing away. But it will be small incremental changes over time. Trying to do one feeling while you play, as a band-aid fix will lead to ton of inconsistency.

5) over the top does launch the ball lower. here's why, for a pull slicer, the swing is outside to in. The clubface is open to that swing path, but closed to your target line. Meaning the ball starts left, and slices right. So what does this do to the numbers. The face is slightly shut, so the loft is decreased.

If you had to rank the shots hit, in terms of height, from lowest to highest in launch angle

Pull hook - Lowest

Pull

Pull slice (most common slice)

Straight draw

Straight

Straight Fade

Push draw

Push

Push fade -  Highest

"Without turning this into a swingthread", I would call those my now infamous last words!

1. I suggested the scenario as the OP had agreed "100%" with the previous post. If he has a 103 mph swing with a limited shoulder turn then he must be a beast.

2. Actually this is what I mean by going down the line.The shaft will point towards the line as you go back and then parallel to it as it is parallel to the ground. I think we both understand the Arc and being on plane.

3. Sure

4. Correct, this is more of a visual drill. Go to any range and you will see the anti-Furyk extreme of around-up-around-down. Furyk is the other extreme of up-around-down-around. Again oversimplified and not a move I recommend to anyone. It's better to see an instructor but the examples show the difference clearly.

5. Good explanation. This one had me baffled, but it really is obvious now that I think about it. It's the classic over the top ball flight. A low launch angle with high spin that starts left and ends up in the right rough in that characteristic banana shape. For some reason I was thinking push slice.

Still, his best bet is seeing a qualified instructor before changing equipment.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I am not really looking to change my driver or any of my equipment. I am looking to improve my swing. When I am "on" and things go correctly I can hit the ball well, straight and where I want it to go. I just need to fix some mechanical things in my swing. At the range yesterday I hit the 250 yard marker on a bounce, twice lol. It was 258 as I used my Bushnell V3 to get the distances from where I was at. When I swung incorrectly I land 20-30 yards short and/or 30-40 yards to the right and the ball would kick right when it hit the ground.

The best thing I did was to take the video camera with me. I went home and spent a couple hours (seriously) watching my swing and comparing to some PGA guys swing path. I seen my flaws and know what needs to be corrected. I am going to work on a couple at a time. I do get enough shoulder turn, my hips could turn more in the back swing for sure. Their was one of Tigers vids that had the same angle as mine and it helped. My swing is 100% like his...... until I start my backswing! :)

I did notice that from start to top is good (when I go straight back), when I start my downswing is where the problem lies now. I have too much hand movement and it ends up getting the club head to the right side of the ball about halfway thru my downswing causing the outside to in path..... That's what I need to work on now. Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by sigfan2340

I did notice that from start to top is good (when I go straight back), when I start my downswing is where the problem lies now. I have too much hand movement and it ends up getting the club head to the right side of the ball about halfway thru my downswing causing the outside to in path..... That's what I need to work on now. Any thoughts?

Try this drill. Get your self into a good halfway downswing position and freeze (butt of club pointing at imaginary ball). Start the swing from this halfway position and swing through the impact area to full finish. To get any clubhead speed you have to initiate the swing with the lower body. Try to feel this in your regular swing. It sounds like your arms/shoulders either start your swing or they outrace your lower body which puts the club on the out-to-in path.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by sigfan2340

A few things can cause this, one, but most likely is your shoulder are turning to shallow.

When you rotate your shoulder make sure your shoulder gets a good ways under your chin, and your right hip goes back and up. This will fee strange at first. The feeling might be like your back is falling towards the target. You also will probably feel like your left knee flexes more, it does, and let it. Keep the flex there in the backswing.

This will naturally get your swing more upright. From there its easier to drop down. The club wants to swing on plane. Its a natural motion. The problem is if you get to shallow with the turn, your getting your arms stuck to far behind you, from there its only one move you can make, throw your right shoulder out, and drop the club in from over the top. Some players can play ok this way, there good at still dropping the clubhead down inside, or they get to the point were they can play a slight pull fade from that position. But most people get to steep from the rerouting of the club and have a major over the top move.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So after all the good practice and advice here, I managed to hit only 1 straight drive last night... lmao. But my irons were spot on. I know what I was doing wrong but couldn't fix it on the tee box.... what does this happen! I didn't putt very well either..... worst putting night of league.

Note: This thread is 3887 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!