IGNORED

My Swing (Abu3baid)

Abu3baid

• Administrator
@freedrop has been restricted from this thread as well so please move on. Thanks.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well the one criteria for the shank is that it hits the hosel of the club. So what causes this, well the path has to shift to a point that the hosel hits the ball. So lets think about how that happens.

1) A golfer could stand to close to the ball. @Abu3baid's posture looks good, so we can probably throw this out.

2) If the golfer is working on a swing path from inside to out, specifically trying to push the clubhead to the right then that can bring the hosel in if it gets over exaggerated to much. With this, I would put it down as lesson woes with a swing change and hopefully the golfer can get the clubhead back to the ball as the swing gets better and more consistent. Even Erik has said that he's hit some shanks while practicing movements, but on video those movements were the best position he wants to be in. So he trusts himself to be able to get clubhead to ball in the end.

3) A golfer has an over the top move to the point that the clubhead gets outside the ball and the path brings the hosel into play. So both inside out and outside in can bring the hosel into play. Usually the fix for this is to try to get the path less over the top, get the clubhead coming more from the inside, even if it drops the clubhead more on a neutral swing path.

As for @Abu3baid, I would continue to just work on the swing and see if it corrects it over time. You are making some DRASTIC changes to your swing. So, growing pains are apart of that. I think I will be having my own soon. The golf simulator at Golfsmith had me hitting big hooks. I mean the numbers were like 60-70 yards left. So, I might be overdoing my swing path a bit, or need to adjust the clubface. At least its good sign that the ball starts right and dives left, I want a push draw, so I can work with that. I also noticed I was hitting the heel of the driver a few times. So my point number 2 there. Swinging outward aggressively can bring the hosel into play.

There are more than the three reasons above that could cause a sh**k, i.e the swing path in 2) may be perfect but he may be placing the ball too far forward in his stance, i.e a perfect swing path but an imperfect ball position.

Anyway, I think that's a dangerous road to go down considering there's nothing (video) to go by to see the causes.

As you said correctly, there are major changes going on and it's best to work on the swing (positives) and let them correct it over time.

• Administrator
To be fair there's only one cause of a shank. The sweet spot gets outside the ball. :-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

To be fair there's only one cause of a shank. The sweet spot gets outside the ball.

Depends on how you define "cause"

noun: a person or thing that gives rise to an action, phenomenon, or condition

(The golfer and) lots of things within the swing can give rise to a sh**k . ;-)

Can this be an Erik is wrong moment ??? :-D

I don't think I'll win that easy :surrender:

Depends on how you define "cause"

noun: a person or thing that gives rise to an action, phenomenon, or condition

(The golfer and) lots of things within the swing can give rise to a sh**k.

Can this be an Erik is wrong moment???

I don't think I'll win that easy

Um no

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Ok, so I guess it need a grip review? :) Anyway.. Maybe I said shanks, but it was like 2 of them and real shanks in the total sense if the word.. I don't even want to go into their ball flights, anyway... I even had a couple fat hits, those can get annoying.. :) Just part of the growing pains and I accept it.. Anyway, I expected that by changing something so fundamental as posture that I wasn't going to come out of the gates a perfectly tuned machine! I can only trust that the change is for the better and move on.. Thanks all for your replies!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Ok. Back on the saddle again. I am going to try and go back to the range before work tomorrow where I actually hinge my wrists correctly on the backswing this time. The only thing I did want to post is the difference between my previous posture and my new posture.. I think that this is ok for now and I hope it helps me with the rest of my swing going forward left is old, blue shirt is new.

Eyad

Nice work Eyad!

Thanks Mike.. I finally actually feel comfortable getting into my posture and stance now.. Basically it is an after thought and I can just go into my regular swing thoughts.. Basically at this point it is two or three things, or two too many as I will be told! Hinge wrists, knee forward, get a good steep shoulder turn.. :) phew got that off my chest.. I think I want to only limit it to hinge hinge hinge.. Will record a vid tomorrow and send it in, I think I'm do to see if I have really made any progress! Question, is evolvr just for full swings, or can I send in a vid pitching or putting as well? 4 uploads a month are probably way too many for me at this point as anything you give me to work on seems like will not be a weekend fix like the first 3 or 4 lessons, what do you think?

Eyad

Question, is evolvr just for full swings, or can I send in a vid pitching or putting as well?

Yep you can send in pitching videos as well.

You can send in a putting video but it can be tough to analyze because how the stroke looks isn't always that important to improve your putting. All great putters do three things, they're able to read greens, they're good with gauging speed and the ball starts on the line they intended to hit. How the stroke looks can be a lot more of an individual thing.

4 uploads a month are probably way too many for me at this point as anything you give me to work on seems like will not be a weekend fix like the first 3 or 4 lessons, what do you think?

Yeah even though you have four a month I wouldn't recommend using all four, it's just an option if you need it. An example might be if an instructor asked you to do a drill and you wanted conformation you were doing it correctly, can send in a video for a quick confirmation. You are correct that things won't change that much from one week to another. Your pieces are your pieces so it's not like your priorities are changing all that much.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

All sort of flaws.

FO - 3H - Push Draw with very good trajectory

DTL - 3H - Pull Draw

The only thing I can really be proud of is the posture.. However, the Shallow to Steep club path is disturbing to say the least!

Back to the drawing board for sure.. Those guys at evolvr have their work cut out for them.. All this because I changed my posture??

Eyad

All sort of flaws.

The only thing I can really be proud of is the posture.. However, the Shallow to Steep club path is disturbing to say the least!

Back to the drawing board for sure.. Those guys at evolvr have their work cut out for them.. All this because I changed my posture??

I don't know man, that is looking really sold. The 2nd video looks to be just a slightly closed clubface, but the path was from the inside. Probably more of a straight draw than a full pull draw. At impact you look really good right now.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I don't know man, that is looking really sold. The 2nd video looks to be just a slightly closed clubface, but the path was from the inside. Probably more of a straight draw than a full pull draw. At impact you look really good right now.

Thanks Matt.. It was a slight pull draw, and I hit about 3 or 4 of them today.. the others were with the 9 iron..

The contact feels pretty good, but the swing path still makes me wonder.  I am not going to guess what my priority piece is going to be, but I think I have an idea.

Eyad

• Administrator

All sort of flaws.

It's not as bad as you think, and not even really something to worry about:

When you realize that you gain nothing after the photo left (below) by going to the photo right (below), that'll help too.

It's not the end of the world - it's the swing you have on the golf course - but you'll probably play better if you have your zero or one swing thought along with feeling like you're only making half a backswing. Trust me - it won't actually be half a backswing.

It's not as bad as you think, and not even really something to worry about: [U][COLOR=555555][URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/92436/] [/URL][/COLOR][/U] When you realize that you gain nothing after the photo left (below) by going to the photo right (below), that'll help too. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/92435/] [/URL] It's not the end of the world - it's the swing you have on the golf course - but you'll probably play better if you have your zero or one swing thought along with feeling like you're only making half a backswing. Trust me - it won't actually be half a backswing.

Thanks Erik, I am going to work on it now, and my only thought will be half swing.. I believe you that I'm not gaining anything, but I just can't help it "not yet anyway" So.. Not going to worry about the backswing steepness.. Hey, he is the expert!

Eyad

Even though the downswing is more "steep" than the backswing, shaft still points at the ball at A5 and the club head is still inside the hands at A6. I'd rather you hit playable pull draws than pull cuts, straight slices or whatever.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Even though the downswing is more "steep" than the backswing, shaft still points at the ball at A5 and the club head is still inside the hands at A6. I'd rather you hit playable pull draws than pull cuts, straight slices or whatever.

Fair enough Mike.. I am going to do a few things based on both your comments + Erik's.

1.  I'm not going to worry about the steepness of the take away!

2.  Remove all swing thoughts and realize that I don't have to kill my self to swing back..  So, I will only be feeling shoulder down and only half or 3/4 swing

3.  Keep my new posture of course

4.  Have fun!

Thanks guys.. you have to remember, I know I am complaining but that is because I expect a lot and want to get better quickly, However, I used to hit uncontrollable push shots.. now, I am pretty much either hitting push draws, slight pull draws or straight shots..

Cheers!

Eyad