IGNORED

My Swing (Abu3baid)

Abu3baid

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Yes, it does take years (or 10,000 strikes as Hogan stated). I'm still working on the first two keys (much less any of the other keys). More precisely, I will begin again when my new swing feels more natural, and it is only just starting to feel less awkward. The swing takes so long to develop, even though we feel like such a simple motion shouldn't take much of anything to learn, it does.

Then you need to get a feel for the short game, that's also equally hard. Putting is after that for me, then strategy. Everything about this game is hard. . .

You do realize we are all a bunch of nut jobs.

I went to the simulator the other day with high expectations. Started hitting the "range" with each club, recording average distance, dispersement, etc. I was all over the place with only about 1 out of 5 going long and straight. Started to get a little frustrated - nothing embarrassing - just shaking my head kind of stuff. The owner came over and told me to really relax my grip on the club. Told me to hit a 100 yard shot with the 5 iron, using a nice easy swing. I'm not #@^ing you, I hit that ball longer and straighter than I had been for the previous hour. It felt like I was just letting club fall into the "slot" and letting my body's momentum carry it through the ball (hard to describe). Tried it with the 4 iron, same thing. All center of the face, no hooks or slices, just solid contact and balanced finishes. Now I'm hitting 4 out of 5 long and straight. This lasted until I got to my driver at which point I was back to "swinging for the fences", hooking, slicing, stumbling and bumbling.

I don't know which I need more, lessons or medication.

Back on topic... One thing I think you are doing correctly Eyad, is keeping your head and eyes down at where the ball was a bit after "contact".

This is true. . . :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Was able to finally take a full swing video at the range today right before I butchered the course on my way to a 113.. after the 94 last time out it feels like I took a step back.  I hit a couple of 280+ drives today and a couple of 240+ 3W drives as well.  However, my approach shots were atrocious to say the least.. I had 0 GIR today.. I was 100 yards to the flag on at least 4-5 holes today and wasn't able to make anything of it (my 50* was worthless :) )  Didn't even GIR any of the par 3's that were (171,145,116,169) I got a par on the last par 3.  My typical ball flight is a push fade that did turn to a couple of push slices as well.  I'm breaking down my round, but it isn't going to tell me something I don't already know..  I need to keep working on my priorities.

Videos are right before my round!

7i

7i - at least A4 looks ok to me.

I

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

• Administrator
Videos are right before my round!

This is not making a case for the return of your Stupid Monkey badge. :)

Where are the drill swings? Same in, up, over move as you've had for awhile now.

If these swings are just warmups before you played, that's one thing… but they seem to be more along the lines of "here is me working on my swing." So let's see some actual WORK on your swing, please. Proper work.

Eyad, you've had this same issue for years now. The backswing is better, yes, but let's see some dedicated work on your main priority piece. Let's see video of you doing your drill properly and hitting the ball 50, 60, 80 yards or whatever it takes to do it.

Come on. You can do it. Aren't you tired of the 113s? Make the changes. Change the picture. DO IT.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This is not making a case for the return of your Stupid Monkey badge. :) Where are the drill swings? Same in, up, over move as you've had for awhile now. If these swings are just warmups before you played, that's one thing… but they seem to be more along the lines of "here is me working on my swing." So let's see some actual WORK on your swing, please. Proper work. Eyad, you've had this same issue for years now. The backswing is better, yes, but let's see some dedicated work on your main priority piece. Let's see video of you doing your drill properly and hitting the ball 50, 60, 80 yards or whatever it takes to do it. Come on. You can do it. Aren't you tired of the 113s? Make the changes. Change the picture. DO IT.

Thanks Erik. I am tired indeed, and I'm willing to keep working at it. I have only been able to work on my swing at home for a month or so now, but I'll try to work on it in the range once a week I hope. (I'm assuming home work is not enough) I literally only took 10-20 swings or so before my round and just needed a full swing to send in to Brian, I literally haven't sent a full swing in almost a month or so. I promise that as soon as I get my priority piece to make sometime to go to the range and dedicate time to it! Monkey Badge here I come!

Eyad

Abu, I'm not that good at analyzing swings, but I did notice that you seem to be hitting a few inches behind the ball. You can see by the dust cloud after you hit the mat. I also noticed that your ball is setup close to your left heel, not sure if this is part of your desired setup or not, but if looks like if you just put the ball back a few inches you could hit the ball first? or maybe just aim for a spot after the ball more?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator

I have only been able to work on my swing at home for a month or so now, but I'll try to work on it in the range once a week I hope. (I'm assuming home work is not enough)

You can work on your swing at home properly. I'm not sure I've seen that from you lately. Even if you just have a grip you can put a little dowel rod in it and make some swings. Check some things in a mirror. That sort of thing. I make some swings using a glass patio door as a mirror while watching TV or doing work late at night.

I literally only took 10-20 swings or so before my round and just needed a full swing to send in to Brian, I literally haven't sent a full swing in almost a month or so. I promise that as soon as I get my priority piece to make sometime to go to the range and dedicate time to it!

That's fine, then… but… you could also do some of the drill swings before you go play. You could also play by trying to push every golf ball, or something like that. If you're shooting 113, you probably don't have a TON to lose by trying to play golf that way.

And, just asking, but if you haven't hit balls in a month, why play 18 holes? How about nine with 90 minutes of dedicated practice? Maybe next time?

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Abu, I'm not that good at analyzing swings, but I did notice that you seem to be hitting a few inches behind the ball. You can see by the dust cloud after you hit the mat. I also noticed that your ball is setup close to your left heel, not sure if this is part of your desired setup or not, but if looks like if you just put the ball back a few inches you could hit the ball first? or maybe just aim for a spot after the ball more?

Thanks @Lihu for taking a look, it sure doesn't feel like it is that far forward when I'm setting up to it.  I'll keep it in mind though.. It should be just forward of center as I agreed with Brian.

You can work on your swing at home properly. I'm not sure I've seen that from you lately. Even if you just have a grip you can put a little dowel rod in it and make some swings. Check some things in a mirror. That sort of thing. I make some swings using a glass patio door as a mirror while watching TV or doing work late at night.

That's fine, then… but… you could also do some of the drill swings before you go play. You could also play by trying to push every golf ball, or something like that. If you're shooting 113, you probably don't have a TON to lose by trying to play golf that way.

And, just asking, but if you haven't hit balls in a month, why play 18 holes? How about nine with 90 minutes of dedicated practice? Maybe next time?

I'll try and share more in regards to practicing at home in the future and I'll definitely do some of my drills before going out for the round to see if I can transfer some of those feels over into the round.

As soon as I get my membership back at the executive course I plan on doing many dedicated practice rounds.  This is a good idea, and I will take note of it for sure!

We play 18 once or twice a month, and its 70$ per round.

I know that I haven't been able to improve my swing path in over a year of working with the guys over in Evolvr, and I shoulder all the responsibility for not being able to do it.  The only thing that keeps me going is I can see the day that when ever I swing a golf club the ball push draws to the middle of the fairway.  Brian is good, I am sure he will get me there!

Eyad

Key#2 is still my priority as of right now. Brian showed me that I am coming off the line with my left hip, and I need to clean this up on the BS. I am working on this by having a chair up against my side and feelin that I am not leaving it all the way to A4.. Then pushing the chair with my hip as I bring the hands down.. I've been working on the below for a couple days now. [video]http://youtu.be/wJjGKTv7oqU[/video] Something else I am working to clean up is the way my elbow reacts at the end of my BS by going behind me slightly. I am working with a ball between my elbows going to A4, and I'm alternating between this and the above drill. Sometimes I combine them, but I rather work on each one separately. A really good feeling has been feeling that in straightening my right arm on the backswing. I will work on these two drills at home for the next few days, and maybe on the weekend I can go to the range to do 50-70% swings with my feels and see how it goes.

Eyad

• Administrator

How about shooting some of these types of videos with a golf ball on the ground?

These videos of you inside your house are of limited value to you. I don't often see any videos of you doing drills or working at slower speeds or with shorter swings on the range.

• 1 month later...

Played 18 this morning and shot a disappointing 104

I don't want to go into the boring details, but in summary.

+7 on a par 3 ([ 1 Water / 1 OB])

+5 on first hole alone ( 1 OB )

+4 on 18th hole ( 1 OB )

+4 on 10th hole ( 3 shots to get on green from mud bunker )

I hated my swing today, but I did have a birdie on a long par 5.  I don't want to play the should have could have card, but if I just bogie the above 4 holes I shoot an 88..

I also had 6 or 7 - 3putts.. obviously with only playing once every 3 weeks and not being able to go to the range I expect my putting to be garbage and it was.. My short game was good though as I only hit 1 or 2 fat shots and the rest were pretty good pitches and chips.

I can't wait to go see Joe in a little over 3 weeks.. I will probably have a more detailed discussion with him, but I think since I have never had good one on one coaching I would want to schedule a session for long , short and putting.. Heck, I'm only in the states once a year for about a month, I should take advantage of the opportunity that it has now presented its self to me, and what ever money I spend on coaching will be well spent!

I can't wait to document my progress again.

Eyad

• Administrator

Played 18 this morning and shot a disappointing 104

I don't want to go into the boring details, but in summary.

+7 on a par 3 ([ 1 Water / 1 OB])

+5 on first hole alone ( 1 OB )

+4 on 18th hole ( 1 OB )

+4 on 10th hole ( 3 shots to get on green from mud bunker )

I hated my swing today, but I did have a birdie on a long par 5.  I don't want to play the should have could have card, but if I just bogie the above 4 holes I shoot an 88..

I also had 6 or 7 - 3putts.. obviously with only playing once every 3 weeks and not being able to go to the range I expect my putting to be garbage and it was.. My short game was good though as I only hit 1 or 2 fat shots and the rest were pretty good pitches and chips.

I can't wait to go see Joe in a little over 3 weeks.. I will probably have a more detailed discussion with him, but I think since I have never had good one on one coaching I would want to schedule a session for long , short and putting.. Heck, I'm only in the states once a year for about a month, I should take advantage of the opportunity that it has now presented its self to me, and what ever money I spend on coaching will be well spent!

I can't wait to document my progress again.

@Abu3baid , I continue to see the problem as this:

• You practice a little but it's mostly in your house without a ball and making slow motion swings.
  • You mostly play golf when you're outside, which means your swing doesn't really change too much.

You got some early (easy) changes, but for the past x months (years?) your swing has been the same.

If the above is accurate, you have to decide a few things:

• Are you content? If so, keep doing what you're doing. If you're not, you need to change how and how often you practice.
  • If you can practice more, where? When? How?

I'd make a big focus of your time with Joe spent on understanding how to practice what you need to practice properly.

If your long-term goal is to play the best golf you can, you need to play less now and WORK on things. PROPERLY.

@Abu3baid , I continue to see the problem as this: [LIST] [*] You practice a little but it's mostly in your house without a ball and making slow motion swings. [*] You mostly play golf when you're outside, which means your swing doesn't really change too much. [/LIST] You got some early (easy) changes, but for the past x months (years?) your swing has been the same. If the above is accurate, you have to decide a few things: [LIST] [*] Are you content? If so, keep doing what you're doing. If you're not, you need to change how and how often you practice. [*] If you can practice more, where? When? How? [/LIST] I'd make a big focus of your time with Joe spent on understanding how to practice what you need to practice properly. If your long-term goal is to play the best golf you can, you need to play less now and WORK on things. PROPERLY.

Thanks Erik! What you said sums it up, and my inability to go to the range (at all for the past 3 months) hasn't helped at all.. One thing for sure is I am not content, so I'm going to have to make it work or just stop pretending that I'm going to improve doing what I'm doing.. I will make what you mentioned a priority for me to understand and learn from Joe.. Do you have any other advice as to what I should take out of the lessons I take?

Eyad

Hang in there, @Abu3baid . I'm right there with you. :-) After struggling with my game recently, I've decided to take the hard road to long-term improvement with some real self-assessment. Long story short, I haven't been practicing properly and I needed to stop lying to myself about it. Anyway, I don't know what your living situation is in Riyadh, but can you get a net setup at your house? Being able to practice everyday will go a long way towards improvement.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Hang in there, @Abu3baid . I'm right there with you. :-) After struggling with my game recently, I've decided to take the hard road to long-term improvement with some real self-assessment. Long story short, I haven't been practicing properly and I needed to stop lying to myself about it. Anyway, I don't know what your living situation is in Riyadh, but can you get a net setup at your house? Being able to practice everyday will go a long way towards improvement.

I thought about what I can do, and it would be impossible (not safe) to try and do any kind of set up at home.. However, since it is practice would using wif/foam balls or other alternatives work? Or does it have to be a real golf ball?? If it is the former then that won't be a problem at all, otherwise I will have to work something out.. I know that I have been working on the same thing for ever, but it is just such an extreme change from one end of the spectrum to the other.. I will take everything my coach in and try and apply it within a plan that we agree on. if there is no alternative for me I am going to continue doing my work at home because let's face it, it is still better than not doing anything at all right? I will work on keeping a good attitude, and hey, if I can do it at slow speeds then someday I will be able to do it at fast speeds.. You too, keep up the positive attitude and you will see quick change as well! What's the alternative right? :) Cheers and thanks

Eyad

• 3 weeks later...

Had my lesson today, and I want to put down some details but I have to start my BBQ.. So, just a few thoughts.

1. I have been doing the shallow the shaft all wrong

2, did a quick alignment and shoulder at address fix.. Basically trying now to have my feet alignment open and then my shoulders even more open than that.

3. Priority is the DS from A4, will feel like I am going over the top or just coming straight down with my hands while I being my weight forward (yes you read right, will feel like I'm coming over the top) but I need to come down quickly with the hands and I want to get to feel that my back is facing the target at A6 with level shoulders at the point. My big problem is with my left shoulder going up and around way too early,

I really need to delay that movement. I was able to have my path going out 4-5 degrees on a lot of my practice 1/4 swings but my face is out of control..

On one of my shots I got the path out 4 degrees but the face was 12 degrees out.. Didn't know that was possible.. I will talk more about what I did with Joe, but will save it for later.. I had a great time and learned a lot. We agreed I would work on my drills and I would go back to him in one week for a quick review and then work on short game plus putting. Then go see him again to work on the long game in 2 weeks to give time for me to "change the picture"

Good stuff, I had fun. Now it is time to work.

Eyad

Thanks to @Fried Egg for taking the time to meet me this morning. There is such a big difference between seeing a good instructor who uses technology vs ones that rely on their eyes only.. I look forward to working on my priority pieces.. Thanks again! Exaggerating where my shoulders are pointing at p6, but a clear difference. Much more pronounced difference here.. It will take a lot of work to get this position to be automatic. From my lesson notes: Continue to work Key #2 as you feel your arms dropping faster, left arm off the chest. In slow motion, see if you can get to P6 with your shoulders level and parallel to the target line along with the shaft parallel to the target line. You can even put yourself into that static position, then swing to P4 and back to P6. The lead shoulder may feel like it is moving down and forward. Or, it may just feel lower than it has. Finally, remember the club face. Knuckles down for a flat left wrist and a club face that is slightly closed to the path.

Eyad

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/rH9VqBRgG4Q[/VIDEO] Easy swinging practice swing.. This is the 3rd day I have been working on the drills given to me by Joe and I'm loving it. The way the club is moving is giving me hope.. Now I need to start to speed up the swing until it's happening with a fast swing! I probably need just a little less shoulder dip as my goal is to have my shoulders basically square at 6.. It'll get there, I have a couple weeks before I go back for another lesson to check up on my progress. Thoughts?

Eyad

Thoughts?

Looks like a great swing if you want to hit the ball fat and snap hook it all day.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.