IGNORED

Swing Speed w/ Different Clubs

Note: This thread is 3858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you like the way you hit your 7-iron? Is it consistent and straight? How about driver?

I try ("try" is correct word) to hit my irons at far less than full speed. I want to control the distance more than I want more distance. The only club that I swing with the thought that "as far as possible is good" is my driver. Even so, I find that a swing thought of "swing like an athletic 90 yard pitching wedge" gives me more consistent length than swinging "hard." My regular PW distance is about 110-115 so a 90 yard swing thought is shorter and under control.

So I'm guessing your 7-iron is being swung to fast and your driver swing is tight because you are desperate to control the ball. If your 7-iron is really that fast when consistent and under control, swing a driver as if it is a 7-iron. Easy to say -- hard as heck to do.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Do you like the way you hit your 7-iron? Is it consistent and straight? How about driver?

I try ("try" is correct word) to hit my irons at far less than full speed. I want to control the distance more than I want more distance. The only club that I swing with the thought that "as far as possible is good" is my driver. Even so, I find that a swing thought of "swing like an athletic 90 yard pitching wedge" gives me more consistent length than swinging "hard." My regular PW distance is about 110-115 so a 90 yard swing thought is shorter and under control.

So I'm guessing your 7-iron is being swung to fast and your driver swing is tight because you are desperate to control the ball. If your 7-iron is really that fast when consistent and under control, swing a driver as if it is a 7-iron. Easy to say -- hard as heck to do.

I am OK with how I hit my 7-iron.  Much like many golfers who haven't cracked into the single digit handicap area I would say I hit my wedges very consistently, short irons pretty well, long irons get scarier and driver is hardest to control.  If I'm about 160-170 yards out I will hit my 7-iron and chances are I will not be hitting that green with consistency.

One thing I'm noticing about my swing... The longer the club the more I tend to have issues with my right shoulder being too high at impact and follow through. Do you know what causes this?

My question: can you consistently hit that 170 yard green bit backing off a 5-iron? 3/4 swing?

I used to hit my PW 130-140 yards. I backed off everything and dropped my index almost instantly.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

My question: can you consistently hit that 170 yard green bit backing off a 5-iron? 3/4 swing?

I used to hit my PW 130-140 yards. I backed off everything and dropped my index almost instantly.

No, I can control a 7 iron better than a 5 iron.  If I was to hit a different club I would actually go down to an 8 iron and leave myself a short chip.

However...I can't say I have tried that stategy.  My PW goes 130-140

Note: This thread is 3858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!