• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tmac20

Anybody still use an R9 driver?

1. 1. Do you use an older model of driver?

• Yes, and I prefer it to the newer models.
    • No, I prefer new technology.
    • Yes, but I want to upgrade to a newer model.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 posts in this topic

I still use my stock Taylormade R9 460 driver that I got when it was released, and I prefer it to the SLDR and R1. Anybody else use an older model driver and prefer it to today's offerings?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have had 3 late model drivers & have the most confidence in my 2009 Nike Dymo with upgraded shaft.   Nothing wrong with using few years old gear  - I recall even Iacas has said there's not that much difference in todays drivers compared to a few years back.

I'm playing a Ping G15, which I believe was released in '09. Works fine, no reason to change. I also had a G15 fairway, decide to replace with the new G25. G25 is a nice club and I really like it, but I did just as well with my older G15, no real difference for me. Maybe it's better to just find something that works and stick with it.

I got the 910 last year. As long as the shaft works for my swing, I am not going to change any time soon. The shaft is key IMHO.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use a Callaway Big Bertha Hawkeye VFT driver... 10.5°, I think it's something like 330cc

Still have my R-9, I swap out shafts at times depending on several things. I have a RBZ in regular, a Project X in 5.5 and a Matrix HD Radix 6 in stiff, all cut down to 43.5.

Bought a Callaway Razr Fit and tried a few shafts but I didn't like it nearly as much ass my R-9.

One of my favorite drivers is still the TM R7 425TP, which is now at least 7 years old.  It's shafted with the same Motore as my R11, and when I hit this driver well, it's every bit as long and actually feels quite a bit better.  The only thing I really notice is forgiveness on off-center hits.