IGNORED

What is this?

ghalfaire
Note: This thread is 3885 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This was inspired by another thread but was my experience awhile back and it has never been clear to what the correct answer is.

Here is incident as best I recall it.  I was playing a par 3 about 212 yards in length.  Over night there had been a lot of rain and the course was littered with casual water and bunkers that looked like lakes.  So as luck would have it I put my tee ball in the bunker guarding the green.  Everyone in the foursome saw it splash down and so it was certain the ball was in the hazard (bunker in this case).  But the water was quite muddy and try as I might with the rake I can't retrieve the ball because it can't be seen and this is a large and deep bunker.  There is no place in the bunker to drop as it literally filled with muddy water from edge to edge and in fact overflowed the edges of the hazard into the "through the green".

So what's the correct procedure here?  Is it an unplayable lie even though you don't know the balls exact location and if so where do you drop?  Is it a lost ball (you know it is in the bunker somewhere)? Maybe this is casual water because the bunker isn't designed to be a little lake and I should get "free" drop in front of the bunker?

Just so you don't ask I decided it was a lost ball and went back to the tee but I am not sure that was the right call but it was the consensus of the foursome.

Butch

This was inspired by another thread but was my experience awhile back and it has never been clear to what the correct answer is.

Here is incident as best I recall it.  I was playing a par 3 about 212 yards in length.  Over night there had been a lot of rain and the course was littered with casual water and bunkers that looked like lakes.  So as luck would have it I put my tee ball in the bunker guarding the green.  Everyone in the foursome saw it splash down and so it was certain the ball was in the hazard (bunker in this case).  But the water was quite muddy and try as I might with the rake I can't retrieve the ball because it can't be seen and this is a large and deep bunker.  There is no place in the bunker to drop as it literally filled with muddy water from edge to edge and in fact overflowed the edges of the hazard into the "through the green".

So what's the correct procedure here?  Is it an unplayable lie even though you don't know the balls exact location and if so where do you drop?  Is it a lost ball (you know it is in the bunker somewhere)? Maybe this is casual water because the bunker isn't designed to be a little lake and I should get "free" drop in front of the bunker?

Just so you don't ask I decided it was a lost ball and went back to the tee but I am not sure that was the right call but it was the consensus of the foursome.

As long as there was virtual certainty that the ball was lost in casual water, you would be allowed to take relief without penalty as long as you drop within the bunker.  If it was necessary to drop outside of the bunker, then it would be a one stroke penalty.

(ii)In a Bunker: If the ball is in a bunker, the player must lift the ball and drop it either:

(a) Without penalty, in accordance with Clause (i) above, except that thenearest point of relief must be in the bunker and the ball must be dropped in the bunker or, if complete relief is impossible, as near as possible to the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole, on a part of the course in thebunker that affords maximum available relief from the condition; or

(b) Under penalty of one stroke, outside the bunker keeping the point where the ball lay directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the bunker the ball may be dropped.

The committee may also declare the entire bunker as ground under repair, thus allowing relief without penalty for dropping outside of the bunker.  If that is done, the committee must identify the specific bunker or bunkers which the local rule applies to.

33-8/27

Local Rule Providing Relief Without Penalty from Bunker Filled with Casual Water

Q.May a Committee make a Local Rule allowing a player to drop out of any bunker filled with casual water, without penalty, contrary to Rule 25-1b(ii)?

A.No. The Committee may not make a Local Rule providing generally that flooded bunkers are ground under repair through the green, as such a Local Rule waives a penalty imposed by the Rules of Golf, contrary to Rule 33-8b.

However, in exceptional circumstances, where certain specific bunkers are completely flooded and there is no reasonable likelihood of the bunkers drying up during the round, the Committee may introduce a Local Rule providing relief without penalty from specific bunkers. Prior to introducing such a Local Rule, the Committee must be convinced that such exceptional circumstances exist and that providing relief without penalty from specific bunkers is more appropriate than simply applying Rule 25-1b(ii). If the Committee elects to introduce a Local Rule, the following wording is suggested:

"The flooded bunker on [insert location of bunker; e.g., left of 5th green] is ground under repair. If a player's ball lies in that bunker or if that bunker interferes with the player's stance or the area of his intended swing and the player wishes to take relief, he must take relief outside the bunker, without penalty, in accordance with Rule 25-1b(i). All other bunkers on the course, regardless of whether they contain water, maintain their status as hazards and the Rules apply accordingly."

In a competition played over more than one round, such a Local Rule may be introduced or rescinded between rounds. (Revised)

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3885 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!